Would you run this cam? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Would you run this cam?

I have a roller cam to go in my Mark IV 454. (Step nosed style). It has what look to be some nicks, as well as a groove halfway around one bearing journal. Would you run this cam or get a different one?

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 5:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Would you run this cam?

Looks like it was used for a setup. Just make sure there are no real high and low spots on the lobes and just run scotch-brite on the journals. as long as the cam is not bent or binds up it should be ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 9:57 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

Run it.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Iíd run it but do not use scotchbrite on that thing (no offense to 68chevelle)
blue_69_malibu likes this.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 7:48 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

On the journal Iíd use crocus cloth in long strips such that you can shine it like you would a shoe. Pulling down from side to side over the spot so that the scratching happens in the direction of spin only. The material comes in small spools.
427L88 and bradley67 like this.

I donít like being manipulated!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 8:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Looks like it's painted.
mr 4 speed and jeff swisher like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 9:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Small pits are fine on the journal as long as they are not sticking up.
The lobes look to be parkerized.

I would not run it until i found out what is up with the black color.
I would probably regrind it to something else and know what I had then.

Take a cloth and some lacquer thinner to it and see if the black comes off. Or carb cleaner.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Was told by the cam company that the black is parkerizing and to run it as is. They also said the little imperfections are fine to run.
427L88 likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 11:15 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreddy View Post
Was told by the cam company that the black is parkerizing and to run it as is. They also said the little imperfections are fine to run.
Sure they would.....but they will not build or pay for a new motor should this fail.
p40 likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have never seen a roller cam that has been parkerized. Guessing this is a SADI cast iron core and its to prevent rust.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Is the SADI cast iron core good or do I want something else?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 12:38 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ok, no pro here, but you HAVE TO RUN anemic valve springs with a cast core roller; so you've limited the RPMs to maybe 52-5500 TOPS, and DO NOT want to make big power; if correct, then its fine. Me personally, I'd would NEVER run a cast core roller unless it was a old wood truck or something, for free. Rollers = used to be race car stuff = BILLET cores only.

Yet again, you keep it mildly "sprung" and under 5500, it SHOULD be ok.

All that is agin' my "religion" ; I hate losing HP when I rpm. ( my new BBC is limited to 6300 BUT, the springs with 400+ open psi will keep the roller lifters VERY stable thru 6500+.In fact, the builder has run the same setup thru the traps at near 7000 rpm. Billet with a decent spring. )

It must be a COMP cam yes? The only folks I know that "half-ass" their rollers. But they will work, only gently and DON'T rev that thing; it WILL float with their recommended springs.

PS just an FYI, many folks here run the GM HO502 "takeout" cam in their 454's. Actually "fits" really well! I might prefer the ClaySmith "oem head" BBC roller, but it will cost more. I use a tried and true ISKY cam. Costs more yet.

This is what a roller cm ought look like..... I mean BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL! ...... for flat tappets, not rollers.....

https://paceperformance.com/i-625492...oller-cam.html

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 1:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

This cam is advertised as a much higher rpm cam than that, with 350# open spring pressure and 150# ish closed pressure. It is not a comp cam.
427L88 likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 3:21 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ben I ran 370 OPEN AND 135 CLOSED with a solid flat tappet designed to turn 7500 w/o issue in the L88. Those pressures wont hit 6K reliably with a uber heavy ass hydraulic roller BUT........

as I am NOT a pro, I prefer someone who is chime in and correct me.... I'd hate to steer you wrong.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 3:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreddy View Post
This cam is advertised as a much higher rpm cam than that, with 350# open spring pressure and 150# ish closed pressure. It is not a comp cam.
Ben, what are the cam specs and in regards to the springs, is that what the cam mfg. recommended? those specs are good for a mild hyd. roller,about close to what a ZZ502 cam would be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in