Block Stamp 3855961 T"L" or T"1" - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

Block Stamp 3855961 T"L" or T"1"

So, i did it decided to pull the mouse and put together a rat for 69. Its runs great now but i always just wanted to put the rat in it. I bought a block, searched all over to get some more info on it before i go start building this. I have an issue with the stamp. Everything says this stamp starts with location "T" Tonawanda.. followed by the build date then the partial VIN.. but i have reservations and think maybe my block is a miss print. It has what looks like a T followed by a lower L. I cant find anything around this sequence, so I figure some drinking and some fool in the plant selecting an L where he wanted to select a 1. There is a clear difference in the photo that i'll try to post.

I know another "961" post, sorry but this has to be interesting to some no? I cant find anything on this code.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	396stamp.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	616658  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Re: Block Stamp 3855961 T"L" or T"1"

It's used as 1 hrer and sometimes the I is used as a 1 also.
Tonawanda assembly plant
1002 =oct 2
And069 likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 1:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

Ok that makes sense... and i was going with...

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Northern New Jersey
69 Chevelle bought when I was 15 yrs old. (1990) Restored it 25yrs later.
I Still drive it like i'm indestructible.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 9:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

Now i'm confused... but need to research more. 10/02 is what i'm going with. The block was thought to be a 1966 planted in a Chevelle but the date is saying it was either a Saturday 65' or Sunday 66'?

10/02/1965 = Saturday
10/02/1966 = Sunday
10/02/1967 = Monday

any thoughts this, it isn't going to make or break my build, but i really want to know and document as much as I can on this build.

Northern New Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 1:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Check the casting date, it should proceed the build date by a few days. I just picked up a block for my 1978 GMC that has a casting date of 01/26/1978 (01 26 8) and a build date of 01/31 with a code for a 1978 K20/K25 pickup. This was totally by accident, I answered the ad for a 350 4-bolt block and it just happened to have a 1978 casting and build and will be going in a 1978 GMC K25 pickup!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 5:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

i'm gonna take some more pics tonight and post anything else strange.. but thats a great story with that block... i wish i were that lucky had to settle for a hopefully what seems to be a 66 396 for my 69 Chevelle.

on a side note it definately seems to be two different font styles for sure.. a crisp edge on the first side and softer (rounded) edges on the "vin" side.

Northern New Jersey

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 7:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

That (entire) stamp looks strange. First: the "T1002IA" looks smaller than the "normal" Tonawanda stamp. Second, the stamping following the Tonawanda stamp is not a GM stamp: The Con VIN stamp used at the final assembly plant was a gang stamp (this one is not); I guess it might be a rebuilders' stamp.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

Oh Boy.. here we go.. thanks not feeling okay with this finding?

Northern New Jersey

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 8:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
That (entire) stamp looks strange. First: the "T1002IA" looks smaller than the "normal" Tonawanda stamp. Second, the stamping following the Tonawanda stamp is not a GM stamp: The Con VIN stamp used at the final assembly plant was a gang stamp (this one is not); I guess it might be a rebuilders' stamp.
No, the partial VIN was not necessarily a gang stamp especially in the pre-1967 model years. "IA" indicates a full size Chevrolet 396/325hp fwiw. Take a look at Chevelle Stuff 1966 engine photos web site. Some of them were really ugly!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:06 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

IA = 1965 Chevrolet 396 325 Mt

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

wow.. thanks for that link to the stamps.. I'm seeing plenty of casting date stamps with the "TI"... that helps. Being the date on my block in 66 is a sunday.. i found a posting here with info that GM did work 7/24 under certain high order conditions. So that is not worrying me much either.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
No, the partial VIN was not necessarily a gang stamp especially in the pre-1967 model years. "IA" indicates a full size Chevrolet 396/325hp fwiw. Take a look at Chevelle Stuff 1966 engine photos web site. Some of them were really ugly!
"IA" is (also) a 1969 SBC 350 CID 255 HP. OP stated it's a "mouse."

Just goes to show you that when looking at a stamping one needs to ID the Block (i.e. Casting Number), AND the Casting Date. The stamp only gives one a partial picture.
Dean and And069 like this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:52 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
"IA" is (also) a 1969 SBC 350 CID 255 HP. OP stated it's a "mouse."

Just goes to show you that when looking at a stamping one needs to ID the Block (i.e. Casting Number), AND the Casting Date. The stamp only gives one a partial picture.
Didn't he say he bought a rat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by And069 View Post
So, i did it decided to pull the mouse and put together a rat for 69. Its runs great now but i always just wanted to put the rat in it. I bought a block, searched all over to get some more info on it before i go start building this. I have an issue with the stamp. Everything says this stamp starts with location "T" Tonawanda.. followed by the build date then the partial VIN.. but i have reservations and think maybe my block is a miss print. It has what looks like a T followed by a lower L. I cant find anything around this sequence, so I figure some drinking and some fool in the plant selecting an L where he wanted to select a 1. There is a clear difference in the photo that i'll try to post.

I know another "961" post, sorry but this has to be interesting to some no? I cant find anything on this code.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Didn't he say he bought a rat?
Oops, Dean, you're correct again. I assumed (incorrectly) that he was talking about the (mouse) motor he pulled. My bad.

OP: We need the Block Casting Number, and we need the Block Casting Date. As you can see Suffix Codes were reused quite often by GM. (example: In 1968 the suffix "MQ" denoted a BBC 396 CID 375 HP engine installed in either a Camaro or a Nova. HOWEVER, in 1969 that "MQ" suffix Code denoted a BBC 427 CID 425 HP engine installed in a (COPO) Chevelle!).

I've actually encountered a gentleman trying to sell a '68 "MQ" as a ('69) COPO engine. He wanted big bucks for the engine because he believed it to be a COPO mill.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 4:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Antonio

Thanks guys.. so the block cast number is 3855691 as in the title of the post.. and i posted pick of the stamp..

i can tell you it has a C1 in the cast and an M stamp.. for manual?

Northern New Jersey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in