Electric Choke - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Electric Choke

I have a Holley 3310 on my 396 engine and I do not have the mechanical choke hooked up. I was considering putting a Holley electric choke on my carburetor but I've read some bad reviews about them not working properly. Have any of you had good results with the Holley electric chokes? Not having a choke makes start up and warm up difficult in the cold Winter time. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HLY-45-223_xl.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	616572  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech Team

Holley electric choke works OK except a tendency to go to fast idle too often. A quick blip of throttle takes care of it, but nonetheless irritating.

Have you run a Holley w/o choke ? My experience is it’s unnecessary above 40’ or so, if your Holley and engine is well tuned.

If I had to have a choke, I’d go manual
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 3:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Electric Choke

I've been running a Holley 3310 with the choke open for the last 10 years in all kinds of weather with temps down in the teens. It starts up fine, you just have raise the idle manually with your foot for a little while.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 4:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

They work just fine when set up correctly, which most people don't do.

Process is thus:

Mount choke, set power up, good source is the IGN terminal on the fuse box. Do leave the old hot air inlet OPEN< use the screen provided, and do not close it off, the choke stove inside the unit needs the very slight vacuum pull to make sure the stove doesn't over heat and fail.

Now, adjustment. After the entire choke is installed, power it up with a jumper wire with alligator clips so you don't have to leave the ignition on to set it. Slightly block the throttle open to allow the choke linkage place the fast idle cam OFF holding the throttle open. Rotate the choke stove to completely close the choke plate in the air horn. SLOWLY open the choke, then close it to the point the choke plate just closes completely, tighten stove retainer screws. Disconnect jumper wire power to the choke, restore car power to choke stove, REMOVE THE THROTTLE BLOCK TO LET THE THROTTLE FULLY CLOSE. Done.

Choke stove: the heating coil inside the plastic cover housing.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 4:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Properly deleted choke ! &#x1f601;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0CFF520C-0D18-4866-B02B-3CCCECDF6FB9_1581803160815.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	616588  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Does Holley make some kind of temp sensitive switch to keep the choke from closing when the engine is still warm causing the engine to be overly rich when you start it after 30 min or so. One of the reasons I like hot air chokes
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 6:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yes, a bimetal spring aided by 12v in cold weather. I think it works just like a 57 Chevy only heated by electricity, rather than exhaust.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

I've been running Holley electric chokes for over 20 years without any problems. Like Dave said, the key is it's adjustment.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

Just me, but I never thought it is a good idea to light up a cold HP motor immediately to 12-1500 RPM and flood cylinder walls with gasoline. All to save a couple of miles of warm up. Not to mention all that restrictive air horn mess !
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Yes, a bimetal spring aided by 12v in cold weather. I think it works just like a 57 Chevy only heated by electricity, rather than exhaust.
You are talking about a divorced manifold mounted choke though correct ?
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 8:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
You are talking about a divorced manifold mounted choke though correct ?
I divorce every one I get !

I take it 3310 doesn’t have provision for elect choke ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB2AFE01-6A81-40AE-B758-8D14221FA3C5_1581817608279.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	616618   Click image for larger version

Name:	171E8E3D-B70B-4AFE-B654-2BE417480693_1581817777324.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	616620  

Last edited by Reelysalty; Feb 15th, 20 at 9:15 PM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 5:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

I don't remember ever seeing a stock 1957 Chevy Rochester carb divorced electric choke. Saw a few in later years have them, not many.

ALL Holley chokes use engine vacuum to pull the choke open when the temp unit is warm. That long part of the casting out the front of it, and the vacuum piston in the bore inside it is called the "choke pull off". Both manual heat, and electric chokes have them.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 9:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
They work just fine when set up correctly, which most people don't do.

Process is thus:

Mount choke, set power up, good source is the IGN terminal on the fuse box. Do leave the old hot air inlet OPEN< use the screen provided, and do not close it off, the choke stove inside the unit needs the very slight vacuum pull to make sure the stove doesn't over heat and fail.

Now, adjustment. After the entire choke is installed, power it up with a jumper wire with alligator clips so you don't have to leave the ignition on to set it. Slightly block the throttle open to allow the choke linkage place the fast idle cam OFF holding the throttle open. Rotate the choke stove to completely close the choke plate in the air horn. SLOWLY open the choke, then close it to the point the choke plate just closes completely, tighten stove retainer screws. Disconnect jumper wire power to the choke, restore car power to choke stove, REMOVE THE THROTTLE BLOCK TO LET THE THROTTLE FULLY CLOSE. Done.

Choke stove: the heating coil inside the plastic cover housing.

Thanks for that. This is my first electric choke and I've been fiddle farting around with it for a bit, trying to make it work right. The instructions that came with the carb are super vague. It works great now! I need a few hundred in my fast idle, but I'm not super worried since it works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191220_170304_1581907150843.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	616746  
novadude likes this.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 4:06 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

reely, check the area of the choke horn vs. the area of the vemturiis minus the area of the boosters and tell us again exactly how the choke horn is restrictive.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 4:11 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

John, if you look at the passenger side bottom of the carb from the back you'll see a stright blade screwdriver slotted screw. turn that screw in 1/4 turn and see how the idle speeds up. repeat as needed.

Do you have an electric choke cap on there? I can't really see in the pic.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in