Electric Choke - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:29 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
reely, check the area of the choke horn vs. the area of the vemturiis minus the area of the boosters and tell us again exactly how the choke horn is restrictive.
You can take your argument to Holley. They know more about their carbs than I (and I imagine you) do.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/134-300SA
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 7:52 AM
Tech Team

Re: Electric Choke

Funny this topic should come up. I recently decided to put an electric choke on my 1850 on the Chevelle , just as I did on our K20, which works great. After putting the new choke on, the throttle was hanging up. I ended up removing the carb and found that the fast idle adjustment screw lever was dragging on the back of the choke housing. I was able to bend it enough to clear, but also realized the fast idle screw completely missed the fast idle cam. After striking out with my local "experts", I called Holley Tech support. After sending them pictures of what was going on, they too were confused and had me ship the carburetor to them. They just got it Friday, so I'm waiting to see what they come up with.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 8:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I prefer the choke cable..
boyd66k20 likes this.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 8:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
They work just fine when set up correctly, which most people don't do.

Process is thus:

Mount choke, set power up, good source is the IGN terminal on the fuse box. Do leave the old hot air inlet OPEN< use the screen provided, and do not close it off, the choke stove inside the unit needs the very slight vacuum pull to make sure the stove doesn't over heat and fail.

Now, adjustment. After the entire choke is installed, power it up with a jumper wire with alligator clips so you don't have to leave the ignition on to set it. Slightly block the throttle open to allow the choke linkage place the fast idle cam OFF holding the throttle open. Rotate the choke stove to completely close the choke plate in the air horn. SLOWLY open the choke, then close it to the point the choke plate just closes completely, tighten stove retainer screws. Disconnect jumper wire power to the choke, restore car power to choke stove, REMOVE THE THROTTLE BLOCK TO LET THE THROTTLE FULLY CLOSE. Done.

Choke stove: the heating coil inside the plastic cover housing.
Dave, when the choke coil gets 12v it unwinds and opens the choke right? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but, if you power up the choke with 12v, then rotate the coil until the choke plate is closed and tighten it, wont the plate be closed when it's hot?
flht01 likes this.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 11:58 AM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

I have used electric chokes on my Holleys and the Eddy that came on the Chevelle. As OEm, there are are two kinds, electric assist, like Ford used on Motorcraft 2v carbs and full electric like most Holleys. The electric assist also needs a hot air tube from the exhaust manifold, ie, choke stove. The fords use an unreguilated 12 v or so direct from the alt, so if the engine is turning, the choke is getting power, but it still needs the hot air.

For the Holley, it needs 12v when the car is running, preferably in run only, not in start. Since I live in SC, I just turn the black plastic housing a good bit to the lead setting and let it go. On really cold days, ie, the low 30s., if I floor it before starting, the choke sets and they work. Otherwise they seem to start fine without the choke full closed.

Put it on, wire it, start the car and see where the choke position is and go from there.

Also put a J C whitney electric choke kit on my 82 CJ7 six, worked perfectly.

66 currently has a 30 yr old 1850 with the manual choke wired open. No issues yet.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 6:56 AM
Tech Team
Durand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
They work just fine when set up correctly, which most people don't do.

Process is thus:

Now, adjustment. After the entire choke is installed, power it up with a jumper wire with alligator clips so you don't have to leave the ignition on to set it. Slightly block the throttle open to allow the choke linkage place the fast idle cam OFF holding the throttle open. Rotate the choke stove to completely close the choke plate in the air horn. SLOWLY open the choke, then close it to the point the choke plate just closes completely, tighten stove retainer screws. Disconnect jumper wire power to the choke, restore car power to choke stove, REMOVE THE THROTTLE BLOCK TO LET THE THROTTLE FULLY CLOSE. Done.

Choke stove: the heating coil inside the plastic cover housing.

?
Wouldn't powering up the choke stove cause the choke to open?
So setting the closed position with it powered, would cause it to never open wouldn't it?

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 7:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

I think adjusting choke housing CW causes slower choke opening. You’re winding bimetal spring tighter.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 8:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

To adjust the electric choke. Power it up with a jumper wire from the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then while it is on, adjust the flapper in the wide open position..

Frankly, I find electric chokes a nuisance and prefer the cable.. That way you have the option to close the choke flapper and gun the motor to release pieces of dirt should they get stuck in the carb..
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 8:24 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
You can take your argument to Holley. They know more about their carbs than I (and I imagine you) do.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/134-300SA

It's all about transitional flow... hence why race carbs are "bowl blended".

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 8:38 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
My experience is it’s unnecessary above 40’ or so, if your Holley and engine is well tuned.
IMO, if your engine starts and runs fine with no choke in 40 deg temps, your idle circuit is too rich for optimal economy. Most 3310s come with .035" IFRs, which is way too big for a mild street combo (assuming 0.078 IABs). The idle circuit is so rich, it will do OK with no choke. Fix that issue, and a choke becomes important.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
Quote:
My experience is it’s unnecessary above 40’ or so, if your Holley and engine is well tuned.
IMO, if your engine starts and runs fine with no choke in 40 deg temps, your idle circuit is too rich for optimal economy. Most 3310s come with .035" IFRs, which is way too big for a mild street combo (assuming 0.078 IABs). The idle circuit is so rich, it will do OK with no choke. Fix that issue, and a choke becomes important.
“Runs fine” is your description, not mine !

BTW, you still running ported vacuum ?

Last edited by Reelysalty; Feb 18th, 20 at 10:52 AM.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
“Runs fine” is your description, not mine !

BTW, you still running ported vacuum ?
Yup. My car runs 12s and gets 19 mpg @ 70 mph with no OD. I see no reason to change.
1966Chev likes this.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

novadude says “Yup. My car runs 12s and gets 19 mpg @ 70 mph with no OD. I see no reason to change.”

One reason would be a step in the right direction for eliminating that power robbing, cylinder washing, excessive RPM while cold and (IMO) downright unattractive choke !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	884538F7-C032-432E-BC9B-1DA66FC18B78_1582047884514.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	617010  
68Chevele likes this.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 8:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

Well, I have to apologize to everyone, my answer had incorrect info on setting the choke plate, as called out by other members. I shouldn't be trying to answer 10 questions, from as many directions all at once.

Modified procedure, disable ignition system, open the throttle and block it open so the fast idle linkage holds the throttle plates above idle, add jumper wire to the choke stove.

When choke stove gets to operating temperature, open the choke plate just past all the way open, and then, reverse until the plate is just at the full open position. Tighten the choke stove, take the throttle holder out of the linkage, reactivate the ignition system, done.

The choke will close as the stove cools off, and vacuum in the choke pull off will hold the choke, plate and fast idle linkage open as long as the engine runs past full heat open. This means if the choke partially closes on a cooling off engine, the vacuum in the pull off will make sure the choke does not fully close and stall the engine. When cold, the stove overcomes the vacuum in the pull off, and the choke helps cold engine start.

As I said, I apologize if what I misinformed caused any issues, it wasn't my intention.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 4:51 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

That's the first mistake you've ever made, right Dave?
427L88 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in