Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickeyChevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 9:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
valve covers

i'm in the process of having a 496 built for my car I want it to appear factory under the hood but we are using roller rockers I noticed year one sells a replica valve cover that's 1/2 inch taller but theyre 70 bucks I cant see the quality being that great being that cheap has anyone used these?

1970 LS-6/M22 no stripe Monaco Orange
1970 LS-5/M22 no stripe Tuxedo Black
1987 Chevy K20 with 496
1986 GMC k3500 454
1986 Chevy K30 454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

There are guys fitting rollers under OEM covers if you have not purchased your valve train yet.

Mine would not fit and I did not pursue it. I ordered a taller pair from cfperformance for 65 bucks. Maybe the same as what Year One has. Quality is decent IMO. Metal is a slightly lighter gauge, noticable but still a sturdy cover. I do have a slight seepage from the rear corner on each side that I've not determined the cause (gasket or cover).

Here is a link to a picture of them mounted and next to OEM covers. Post #103 if it doesn't take you there.

https://www.chevelles.com/#/topics/1080214

-Kevin
1965 Chevy Biscayne
<removed> 454cid, "peanut ports", Voodoo 60201
<coming soon> 460cid, Brodix RRO 270, 229/241 Hydraulic Roller
TH400, 3.36 Stock Rearend
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: valve covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cayne View Post
There are guys fitting rollers under OEM covers if you have not purchased your valve train yet.

Mine would not fit and I did not pursue it. I ordered a taller pair from cfperformance for 65 bucks. Maybe the same as what Year One has. Quality is decent IMO. Metal is a slightly lighter gauge, noticable but still a sturdy cover. I do have a slight seepage from the rear corner on each side that I've not determined the cause (gasket or cover).

Here is a link to a picture of them mounted and next to OEM covers. Post #103 if it doesn't take you there.

https://www.chevelles.com/#/topics/1080214?page=11
I havenít ordered anything yet machine shop said they could get them to fit under stock valve covers it would just be more money for the correct parts the taller valve covers are a cheaper alternative. I have stock style ones now that leak in the same spot you said yours to I tried a rubber fel pro gasket and it seemed to help

1970 LS-6/M22 no stripe Monaco Orange
1970 LS-5/M22 no stripe Tuxedo Black
1987 Chevy K20 with 496
1986 GMC k3500 454
1986 Chevy K30 454

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richls5 View Post
i'm in the process of having a 496 built for my car I want it to appear factory under the hood but we are using roller rockers I noticed year one sells a replica valve cover that's 1/2 inch taller but theyre 70 bucks I cant see the quality being that great being that cheap has anyone used these?
Without reopening the whole "Are Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms Worthwhile for a Street Engine" discussion... What is your intended use for this engine?

I used Roller Tip Rockers on my 454 HO/ZZ454 when I swapped in a mild ZZ502 Camshaft. The 454 is not a killer, but it is a well rounded engine that is fun to drive. I topped the heads with factory-style Valve Covers. No clearance issues whatsoever.

This begs the questions: Do you need a Camshaft that is so aggressive that it requires Roller Rocker Arms? Is your engine builder over engineering your mill? And why?

I see an awful lot of street-used engines that are (super cool, but) way, way overbuilt for driving to and from a car show... My buddy has an A12 '69 Dodge Stupid Bee 440 Six Pack. He spent over 15 grand on an engine which produces gobs of horsepower. The Stupid Bee has never seen a Drag Strip and (despite my urging) never will. My buddy only drives the Stupid Bee to and from car shows and therefore it might as well have a slant 6 in it.

Just sayin' ... perhaps a less agressive engine might meet your needs better.
Pete 67 likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 4:35 PM
Tech Team

Stack 2 stock gaskets

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 8:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Stock rockers will suffice for most BBC's if you are trying to use a stock type rocker cover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in