Serpentine Conversion (Small Block 350) - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Serpentine Conversion (Small Block 350)

Goal: install serpentine belt in '64 A-body.
Purpose: easier maintenance (in my opinion)

What donor vehicle would be easiest to use? What do you know now that would make it easier to do?

What I have:
Long Water Pump
Saginaw P series Power Steering Pump
Saginaw PS Gear box

What I think I need:
reverse rotation water pump (some of them don't have the water inlet for a heater hose, but some do. Metric pulley bolts)
AC delete pulley (part #34224 or 10055890, in the future I want to add air conditioning so could I just idle the compressor?)
Fan clutch
Fan
Fan shroud

Donors:
88-92 Chevy Pick Up or Astro Van 4.3L V-6, Caprice, Corvette,
early 90s Camaro
mid 90s s10 blazer 4.3
1990 C1500 with a 350
'97 pickup with the 305
any serpentine setup off any 4.3, 305, or 350 should work, make sure to get everything, including the bolts, studs and braces

Old posts:
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...onversion.html
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...ine-setup.html
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...pulleys-2.html

Jeff Smith - Car Craft
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...ne-belt-drive/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: Serpentine Conversion (Small Block 350)

1990 C1500 with a 350
That is what I have.
My only issues (some may be self inflicted)
Pulley alignment, mainly P/S but that came from a different donor truck.
And top rad hose. The alternator is high on the drivers side and you may have to get creative. I got the stuff cheap and never looked back. It had the air pump, but I cut that part off of the passenger side bracket, and you relocate the idler and use a different belt, no new parts needed. It also can use either an A/C compressor, or a "delete pulley", so if you think you want to add a/c later, no bracketry work is needed, just remove the "delete pulley" and drop in a compressor.
I made my own bypass plug for the voltage regulator and it is all wired up and worked great since day one. Even with the 20+ year old mud truck alternator, no issues. I did replace the tensioner pulley and idler pulley eventually. Depending on what all you have some holes (drivers head?) may be missing, you can add or ignore. Plus you may need to work on support bracket that hits the driver's exhaust manifold for extra alternator support. I forget what I did, but I still have stock 1967 327 iron exhaust manifolds and I made it work OK.
My thread (it is referenced in one of those you mentioned)
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...lt-system.html
jelco likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it may be easier if use a different donor than the 1990 C1500. I’d like to minimize modifications if possible.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 3:44 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelco View Post
Purpose: easier maintenance (in my opinion)

I don't buy that part. I have been driving since 1966 and have only had one belt break . . . . that was the serpentine belt in my Tahoe
My Wife's Riviera has 250K or so miles on it and has never had a belt break. Just changed them all about a year ago when I did the engine and trans and they will probably outlive us.

If you want to do it for the looks that is a different story. I personally do not like the looks of the serpentine belts. I do like the appearance of the multi-v type belts but would keep all three (or 2) whichever you have.

There is my 2 cents worth

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it may be easier if use a different donor than the 1990 C1500. Iíd like to minimize modifications if possible.
LOL, actually I think it was a very good donor, I would also look into the other options maybe the B-Body stuff, like I said some of my issues were self inflicted, and it was drivable day one, and always has been. And if you are considering a steering box swap (like the JGC one!!!) that is the time to do it, and save all the hassles with different fittings. Best part, it is all proven stock parts that last forever, work, and are cheap to obtain and maintain. And while they are not attractive by any means, I don't like pulley bling on an engine anyway.
I think I may even look into 1992ish B-Body setups, I think they had stamped steel main brackets, not cast aluminum ones, might look a bit more appropriate.
Just remember you are changing everything in front of the block and behind the fan shroud. Don't forget you need a reverse rotation water pump, and fan! Also they are all long pump setups, so make sure you have room for the fan and fan-clutch.
And when putting in an internally regulated alternator, it is super simple to wire. YOu use all existing wires in the car, just jumper bypass the external regulator, and make sure you have a pigtail for the alternator to tie into the existing alternator connectors.
jelco likes this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 6:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I think a lot of people have used that same donor but you said the alternator was high, had the air pump, and a support bracket hit the driver's exhaust manifold. I'd rather not get "creative" if I don't have to. Just curious to know what is the easiest set up based on past experiences.

My previous setup had a short water pump, now I have a long water pump with the motor I'm putting in. I could continue using the short water pump and v-belt system but I figure I might as well convert to serpentine if I have the motor out. I have a power steering gear box that is bigger than the '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. In hindsight I wish I would have put in a JGC gear box, I think there would have been more space between the PS gear box and pump (if that matters). I also have hydroboost power steering.
I'll probably need help with the alternator when I get to that part.
I'll take a look at some B-body's at the local pick a part.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 3rd, 20, 7:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Would a system off an 80d F body work? W/o ac they have a clean look to them.

I dont like the look of most serpentines but the tensioner is a good thing. Think they last longer overall

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 4th, 20, 8:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jesse

Garage
I've got a complete setup of a 91 4.3 I'd give you if you were closer.

Jesse
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 4th, 20, 8:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

I think it's a great idea, I've never tossed a serpentine belt. Back in the day, I did toss V-belts once in a while.

There are kits available that make it pretty easy, some are reasonably priced. Just make sure it has one belt and a belt tensioner.

I went high end and added a small idler pulley to get more wrap on the alternator (Billet Specialiaties said I never be able to have an electric water pump).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BELT.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	615568  
LeoP and sampoerna415 like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 6th, 20, 11:02 PM
Tech Team
Rhys

It's definately not a low budget option but check out the latest option from Holley.

https://www.holley.com/products/acce...parts/20-240BK

I like the compact design and the overall look.

Not smart enough to think of something funny.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 7th, 20, 12:48 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
1990 C1500 with a 350
That is what I have.
My only issues (some may be self inflicted)
Pulley alignment, mainly P/S
I had some alignment issues as well when converting to that system, it kept wiping the edge off the belt. Never found a ps pulley that would work with the pump with the key way shaft, but on the press on shaft I corrected it by using a shorter bolt to press in the pulley than is what is needed to install it, in other words use long bolt to get pulley started and when it bottoms out use one about a 1/4 inch shorter to drive it the rest of the way.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Unread Feb 7th, 20, 8:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampoerna415 View Post
I had some alignment issues as well when converting to that system, it kept wiping the edge off the belt. Never found a ps pulley that would work with the pump with the key way shaft, but on the press on shaft I corrected it by using a shorter bolt to press in the pulley than is what is needed to install it, in other words use long bolt to get pulley started and when it bottoms out use one about a 1/4 inch shorter to drive it the rest of the way.
Hmm, I will look into that, thanks. I have used some spacers for now, but I don't recall the exact deal, maybe I spaced out the crank pulley?
At first I actually trimmed 2 ribs from the belt to get it on the road! It actually was very easy and worked fine. I had the belt shifted on the different pulleys by 1 groove different ways.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Unread Mar 25th, 20, 3:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I haven’t done this yet. I’m going to check out a 94 blazer and C1500s. Would any late 80s, early 90s B-body’s work?
What fan clutch, fan and fan shroud would work?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Unread Mar 26th, 20, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
I havenít done this yet. Iím going to check out a 94 blazer and C1500s. Would any late 80s, early 90s B-bodyís work?
What fan clutch, fan and fan shroud would work?
So far the only real issue I have is partly due to the parts store cheap radiator with the top hose location near the alternator. I had to make a hose out of 2 that goes around like some trucks were setup, with a piece of wood currently holding it up .
I used all truck stuff, 1990, 1989 I think. I even made a shroud from a truck work, but I cut away a LOT of material. With the new aluminum and plastic rad, and home made shroud, airflow is tremendous. Be sure to get a reverse rotation fan, more important than the water pump!
The B Body stuff might actually be better, I forget the layout. It is stamped steel, and would look better than the cast aluminum stuff in an old car.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Unread Mar 26th, 20, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

holley system is nice comes with everything just dont like the all black look
OP an iroc or rs have nice stock systems and are everywhere cheap

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in