Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tim's_2nd_Chevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 7:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

Camshaft Operating RPM range

For Summit Racing Howard's 1209910-10 has Basic Operating RPM Range:1,400-5,600. Does that mean the cam comes in at 1,400 and 5,600 is it's ceiling? I am trying to choose a cam for a 454 with some HP and torque but nothing crazy. 200-4r transmission and a 3.73 gear with 26.6" tall tires. I do not plan on spinning the motor at more than 5,500. So is it pointless to get a cam that goes up past 6,000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 8:25 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: Camshaft Operating RPM range

Well at 221 duration at .050 and 533 lift it will be torquey. It might be a little small for the 454 and also what compression are you running and are they iron or aluminum heads? I could see bumping up to a 230s duration cam. I think the LS6 cam was 244 duration at .050. Also what kind of converter do you have as that can play a role here. You may want to go on Howards Cams website and see what description they give for this cam. Some other 454 owners can chime in here on what they are using.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

When I built my 468 for my driver, All I wanted was TORQUE. WHY?
TORQUE moves things! Horse power is a by product of torque.
My driver weights in at close to 4300 Lbs. ( its a 70 FAKE SS Wagon).
My cam is in around 900 RPMs and is all done at 42 / 4400. Thats just fine, WHY? With a 700R4 and a 3:07 rear gear in my 12 bolt, I cruise the wagon at 75 MPH and the 468 is spinning 1950 RPMs. " AND " 20 MPG on the I-State.
Tires are 225 X 70R X 14" red lines. I have had this combo for 44.676 miles.
Is it a DOG out of the hole, HELL NO,,WHY?
The 700R4 has a first gear of 3:06, My 4300 Lb. wagon will burn the tires down from a dead stop. When you punch it down at 75 MPH, It goes into Third and goes into Fourth around 105 / 110. I dont have the Ba!!s to keep it down on the floor.
For me " BIG Torque engine VIA, Motor Home Cam, equals very good mileage.
I plan on ,,,,,,,, NO CHANGES with my driver.
P.S. mileage in town is not real good, WHY? The first and second gear in the 700R are deeper than a 4 speed.
Do what makes you HAPPY !
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

As a station wagon lover, i love your car.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tim

I am not sure on everything as I am not as educated or technical as most. At any rate, I am having a set of 3993820 iron heads redone with 2.19/188 valves. The engine builder said the pistons are Keith Black hyperutectic pistons one hundred and twenty thousandths down; which piston exactly I am not sure. He said the motor is lower than 10 but higher than 9, needs some figuring. I will probably be running between a 2400-2600 stall. I plan on running a Summit 750 cfm mechanical secondary dbl pump carburetor. The actual grind i'm thinking of going with is a Howard's 122121-10. The genius that I am has notice the last digits on Howard's cams is the lsa; i know, genius; right? At any rate I want good bump and a 110 seems to keep vacuum and bump.
427L88 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:19 PM
Tech Team

“Does that mean the cam comes in at 1,400 and 5,600 is it's ceiling? I“

Yes, this range is indicative of a very mild cam. Sounds like a good idea for your car.

OTOH, a DP is not recommended for automatic, moderately geared cars with fairly tight converters. Maybe an Edlebrock or Holley VS carb ?

Do you have Keith Black or K & B pistons ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 10:34 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

You need a Holley 750 or 780 vac sec carb. Reely is right on that. This combo deal is old news.

You need to ask him what he means by that 120 thous down thing. Maybe that's a dish in the piston? If the whole pistons is 120 down it's the wrong piston. you want something like .010 down in the hole at TDC.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in