Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 3:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1965 327 SBC What Intake?

Air Gap Vs High Rise Single Plane...
Hey guys.

I Have a split bumper camaro, all steel except front clip.

275/60 tire. 4:11 gears.

Th350 with a 3500 stall converter w/B&M Shift kit.

1965 327 Engine has power pack heads, 10.5:1 compression. Summit 1107 camshaft. All New gaskets, new oil and fuel pump.
Holley quick fuel 650cfm Carb.
Hoping to put a nos plate on it for a little extra kick.

Would a High Rise single plane intake work better for the rpm or a Air Gap intake to keep the torgue. And add a Spacer for rpm?
Eventually will be putting 200cc 64cc aluminum heads on it. But for now just trying to get it going the best I can. Any help would be great thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 7:08 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Re: 1965 327 SBC What Intake?

That's a good question and a lot of cam for such a tiny engine and those restrictive heads.

I've watched a similar exercise play out on my cousin's 383 in his Nova street car with less cam, a pair of World Products heads, 1 3/4" long tubes, and a 4-speed swapping between a Weiand Stealth and an Edelbrock Victor Jr and the dual plane was the clear winner for drivability. The performance was never measured, and the combo wasn't tuned in on a dyno, but it was seat-of-the-pants quicker.

I'm not a fan of open plenum spacers on dual plane intakes, but every combo is a bit of black magic, so I can't say it won't work.

Were I using that engine in that car with those heads, I would go a very different way with 9:1 compression, a whole lot less cam, and a basic dual plane intake like an Edelbrock Performer. I would also go with a lot less stall on the converter for the engine combo I would use stock or max of 2000 RPM. However, that would be my preference for me.

If you want a high-revving, 327, then I would revisit those heads, lower the compression a touch, and test to see whether that 650 carb you are using is the right choice, or if a 750 would be better.

All that said, dialing in a random hodgepodge of parts is a very resource intensive endeavor and rarely ever works the first time out and even rarer that it truly works well without development time on a dyno.

I wish you the best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

283 V8
Powerglide 2-Speed Automatic
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 7:11 PM
Tech Team

Looks like you’re on track to build a pretty hot Camaro. Assuming you can get it under your hood or gonna cut your hood, why not a single plane hi rise air gap intake ?

I like a al 2” Super Sucker by HVH.

IMO, you need a 750 DP Holley. You gonna starve that SBC w/a 650 !

Good Luck 👍

BTW, 10,5 compression is dead on the $

Typical intake for you...

https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...earance_92704/

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 8:27 PM
Tech Team

Years ago I used to run an old torker on my 327 and it pulled well, the dual planes at the time just did not seem to make much power, maybe the Air Gap might be different. In the mid 70's I got a chance to try a 300-2 Strip Dominator single plane and the engine was real soggy. I put the torker back on and the 327 came back to life. I think the reason the old torker worked so well is it small plenum for the small port heads made back then. 200 cc heads may make for a lot of air flow but head like the Vortec's with some mild porting will make that 327 shine real good. Put a set of stock Vortecs on over the power pack heads and it like putting a small NOS system on the car.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

The Eddy RPM worked better than a single plane on my SBC 406. I had more cam and bigger heads for comparison.
71350SS likes this.

TC Member # 4431
'16 GMC Denali XL- 6.2L's are sweet
'07.5 Chevrolet 2500HD-6.6 D-Max
'07.5 Chevrolet Suburban
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- SS427 L-36/TH400 (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400 (His)
'66 300 Deluxe 2 door-230/PG
"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and they're generally more useful.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:09 PM
Tech Team

OP is building a 7000+RPM engine w/a 4:11 and IMO, the best automatic around.

What is the advantage of a mediocre intake that’s out of breath while engine’s screaming for more ?

I’ll go out on a limb and predict this split bumper Camaro will be much more than a cruiser....😁
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes I have a 3 1/2" hood. I believe it should clear.
And thank you. I am currently just explaining what's in my car for the combo. No reason I can't sell the 650 and buy a 750 in the future. Car is mainly going to he a street/strip.. strip more then the street.
Oh and I am running 1 5/8 long tube headers with a shorty header muffler.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks so much for the help and advice!!! I am hoping to order the intake today and have the engine and trans dropped in and hopefully turning over next week.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

"Real PP heads like the -896 jobbers have right at 137 to 140 cc intake ports and like 60 cc chambers."

Due to the limited airflow ability of your heads I'd go with a dual plane of your choice. The RPM intake fed my 406 to over 6500 RPM so it will move air when needed. Too much intake will make for a lazy air charge. Velocity feeds the cylinder to build HP.

Your cam is basically the Eddy RPM cam so with the intake and heads you'll have the whole, proven package.

TC Member # 4431
'16 GMC Denali XL- 6.2L's are sweet
'07.5 Chevrolet 2500HD-6.6 D-Max
'07.5 Chevrolet Suburban
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- SS427 L-36/TH400 (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400 (His)
'66 300 Deluxe 2 door-230/PG
"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and they're generally more useful.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:33 PM
Tech Team

If you go with 750, order the Holley 134-300 main body. This gives you (almost) the HP Holley and among other things gets rid of silly and restrictive choke tower, way easier to change primary squirters too.

The Holley Strip Dominator range is 4000-7500, a little steep. Skip White Perf intake is 3000-7800, perfect, IMO. I think you’ll be leaving the line right on your power band.

Don’t forget to order Holley part to get rid of the progressive linkage. Least expensive “bang for the buck” at about. $35 eBay.

Make initial timing about 25, all in at about 1800 (around 35 total). I use al heads, think you can get away with this, you can always add some Race Fuel Concentrate or mix some airplane gas.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:38 PM
Tech Team

Are you planning on stud girdles ?
IMO, cheep insurance.

What distributer ?

BTW,
This is review for Edlebrock 7162 RPM Performer cam...
Best HYD Street Performance cam
Summit RacingSummit Racing Verified Purchase

“A LOT of people consider this RPM series grind old technology. IF you have a medium to heavy weight car / truck with automatic this is THE profile as it retains very good manifold vacuum and off idle response, works with relatively low static compression while still breathing well into the upper RPM range. “

Medium to heavyweight car or truck, seriously ?

(Review from Summit site)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
Are you planning on stud girdles ?
IMO, cheep insurance.

What distributer ?
Just a cheap
Skip white hei dist.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 9:58 PM
Tech Team

IMO, you’ll be sorry. I never could get mine right.

Please consider a MSD RTR 8360. About $350, plus $50 for coil. Has easy 3 wire hook up and built in adj rev limiter. IMO, one fine unit.

MSD doesn’t make 10 degree bushings, but this guy does, great guy. Put your bushing in before installing dist.

[email protected]

Just remembered, I have my SW HEI. You can have it for shipping.
71350SS likes this.

Last edited by Reelysalty; Jan 1st, 20 at 10:21 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
IMO, you’ll be sorry. I never could get mine right.

Please consider a MSD RTR 8360. About $350, plus $50 for coil. Has easy 3 wire hook up and built in adj rev limiter. IMO, one fine unit.

MSD doesn’t make 10 degree bushings, but this guy does, great guy. Put your bushing in before installing dist.

[email protected]

Just remembered, I have my SW HEI. You can have it for shipping.

Okay that's a bummer but I'll check into the msd and bushings!!! Thanks again.
And your SW? Skip white HEI? Is it the remote coil or?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 20, 10:45 PM
Tech Team

Remote coil, it’s square. You can have it too 😁

[email protected]

One condition, you gotta change out as soon as funds allow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in