Varying intake temp issue - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 1:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Varying intake temp issue

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this strange issue I am having with my 383 sbc. This spring I installed a dual pass radiator to reduce the engine heat here in Phoenix. It seem to be doing its job during the hot summer, now that it is cool 60 to 70 degrees when I take the car on the highway it runs 165-170 via the electric gauge on the passenger side of the intake while the Driver side will go up to 210 for a minute or two. I have a Dakota Digital dash into pass side and an Autometer electric gauge in the driver side of intake. Why am I seeing the passenger side rise to 210 then drop to say 180 after a couple of minutes and then both will be 185* when I exit and do street driving? I have a 180* thermostat that has been checked, AFR heads and a edelbrock rpm intake. Should I be concerned about this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 8:39 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Varying intake temp issue

Different "hysteresis" responses in the gauges and their sending units. Some are slow to respond others, faster.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
1968 likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 8:53 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

You could verify what Rick said by swapping the sending units from side to side and see what happens.
1968, jeff swisher and Kirk's67SS like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 19, 6:49 PM
Tech Team

I have had that trouble with cheap thermostats, the Robert Shaw one corrected the problem.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

I have replaced the gauge that goes high so,it isnít a gauge issue, why is the driver side see8ng high temps for a coup,e of minutes then dropping back down
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If your engine is only reaching 165-170 on the highway and you have a 180 thermostat, I'd say its a thermostat issue. The thermostat is supposed to regulate the minimum engine operating temp.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 1:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

However the diver side does stay above 180?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 19, 2:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

What manifold are you running? Let's see a picture of your setup.
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 2:11 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

swap the senders as Bill suggested. or, you can just start throwing money and time at it.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 2:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
swap the senders as Bill suggested. or, you can just start throwing money and time at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer5000
I have a Dakota Digital dash into pass side and an Autometer electric gauge in the driver side of intake
You might need to swap the senders AND the gauge wiring, and see if the problem is the same, or if it switches sides. Insert the Dakota Digital and corresponding sender into the drivers side and the Autometer and sender into the passenger side.

There could be some flow pattern issues, but that's hard to tell at this point. I have seen some people use the wrong head gaskets on a big block (perhaps on only one side) which can affect the flow and thereby the temps... Could be the water pump putting more flow into one bank than the other...

But first thing to do is figure if its really a cooling/temp problem or a gauge problem.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 4:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer5000 View Post
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this strange issue I am having with my 383 sbc. This spring I installed a dual pass radiator to reduce the engine heat here in Phoenix. It seem to be doing its job during the hot summer, now that it is cool 60 to 70 degrees when I take the car on the highway it runs 165-170 via the electric gauge on the passenger side of the intake while the Driver side will go up to 210 for a minute or two. I have a Dakota Digital dash into pass side and an Autometer electric gauge in the driver side of intake. Why am I seeing the passenger side rise to 210 then drop to say 180 after a couple of minutes and then both will be 185* when I exit and do street driving? I have a 180* thermostat that has been checked, AFR heads and a edelbrock rpm intake. Should I be concerned about this ?
My head is spinning while reading your post here above^....first you say it's the drivers side that rises to 210 degrees, then you say it's the passenger side that does that. So which is it???
Kirk's67SS likes this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 19, 4:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

It also could be where you are taking the temp readings at.On one side of the closed thermostat could be higher than the other side if the thermostat was opening and closing.Are you using the cylinder heads for your temp senders ?
PS one other thing, Merry Christmas

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 3:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
My head is spinning while reading your post here above^....first you say it's the drivers side that rises to 210 degrees, then you say it's the passenger side that does that. So which is it???
Sorry my mistake the hotter temp is on the driver side, I have will swap the sending units when I get a few minutes. During the warmer months the temps stay the same it only happens in the winter months. Could the thermostat affect only one side?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 8:46 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I fear that you will see even more wildly varying temperatures if you swap sending units between the gauges. The gauges need certain resistance ranges in their senders for proper calibration and with the swap, they will either be much less accurate or pegged full hot or full cold.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 19, 1:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
I fear that you will see even more wildly varying temperatures if you swap sending units between the gauges. The gauges need certain resistance ranges in their senders for proper calibration and with the swap, they will either be much less accurate or pegged full hot or full cold.

Rick
I meant I was going to just move the sending units to opposite side to see if the high temp stayed on the driver side not swap them between gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in