• 1 Post By cuisinartvette

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Edelbrock performer intake questions

Hey Folks,
I was able to get this kit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...RoCQnAQAvD_BwE

From Amazon while on sale, also using my rewards points, and a gift card for a total of 378 out of pocket - it was a complex phone order lol. I have been looking into Lokar cables from summit - but here is my question.

I know I need a coolant neck, but besides that, what holes will I need to plug up on this bad boy for a 350 SBC application into my 70 Chevelle? Are there any good specific temp sensors I can get, or oil sensors? I am open to all ideas - I just know there must be open ports that I need to fill or need to use for sensors. It seems to be a popular intake so I thought I would ask you all. Thanks so much!

I found these...not sure if I need them: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8052

Last edited by s1nemesis1s; Dec 12th, 19 at 12:02 PM. Reason: addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: Edelbrock performer intake questions

The kit you purchased comes with 4 of the pipe plugs - enough to fill all four holes on the intake if necessary. You will probably only fill one of them - the one that is closest to the thermostat outlet. The one on the right side is usually used for the heater. Some people use the one on the left side for a coolant temperature sensor. The one behind the carburetor pad is what most people use for the power brakes (you will need a low height 90 fitting - if you had a Holley carburetor, you would also need a short spacer gasket so that the rear fuel bowl would clear the fitting).
s1nemesis1s likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 4:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
The kit you purchased comes with 4 of the pipe plugs - enough to fill all four holes on the intake if necessary. You will probably only fill one of them - the one that is closest to the thermostat outlet. The one on the right side is usually used for the heater. Some people use the one on the left side for a coolant temperature sensor. The one behind the carburetor pad is what most people use for the power brakes (you will need a low height 90 fitting - if you had a Holley carburetor, you would also need a short spacer gasket so that the rear fuel bowl would clear the fitting).
Many thanks!!! Very helpful!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 5:26 PM
Tech Team

Never use steel plus in an intake manifold, they are a b***h to get out later. Always put brass plugs in. You will thank me later when you need to get them out someday.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 7:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Chevele View Post
Never use steel plus in an intake manifold, they are a b***h to get out later. Always put brass plugs in. You will thank me later when you need to get them out someday.
Is that why the 66 original aluminum intakes all seem to have thread problem at those points?
68Chevele and s1nemesis1s like this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 6:15 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Is that why the 66 original aluminum intakes all seem to have thread problem at those points?
Yes, those steel ones are a real pain to take out. Just this year I had an old Torker intake that had some steel square plugs in it, bought a special socket off Amazon and with no head and my new cordless gun took them right out. Never had any luck with anything work so good. Nice thing was it did not damage the threads upon removal.
s1nemesis1s likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech Team

you can always buy a Tstat housing that has ports in it too if you need more
s1nemesis1s likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 19, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bought some brass plugs and also a tstat housing with extra inlets on it as wel

You guys are golden! THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in