Balancer and Steering - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 6:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Balancer and Steering

Hello all,

I am building a 350 to replace the 307 in my 70 Chevelle. I am wondering, what would be a good balancer to buy? I am adding power steering with this kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpp70psk

I don't think I need a balancer with a pulley - so I am just wondering what do you all recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 8:06 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Balancer and Steering

You're still going to need a pulley to drive the power steering pump, not to mention your water pump and alternator.

There are a lot of harmonic dampers (balancers) that will fit your application - the pulley is a separate piece that is typically either a two or three groove (three for A/C). I would think the pulley from your 307 will work with whatever damper you decide on.

jim
s1nemesis1s likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 10:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

All Chevy small block harmonic balancers (except 1955-56) have the same 3-bolt pattern on the spokes for attachment of ANY pulley (1-2-3 groove).
The 307 engines which I am familiar with that had pwr str, had a 6in balancer. The 350 engines that I'm familiar with had an 8in balancer----------------AND WILL NOT CLEAR THE STOCK 307 PWR STR PUMP BRACKET.
Soooooooooo, what we did when replacing a 307 with pwr str, to a 350 with 8in balancer, was to slightly modify the lower PS pump bracket by notching it and then welding a piece of flat steel to reinforce it where it had a section cut off.

Below is a PS pump bracket from my son's 68 that had a 307 and we modified it to clear the larger 350 balancer.
The first picture is the modified bracket.
The second picture shows where an area was cut out (red pencil) and the steel plate that was welded in for support (blue pencil).
The third picture shows how the larger 350 balancer will now clear the PS pump bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0661.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	610484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0662.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	610486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0663.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	610488  
LeoP and s1nemesis1s like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 19, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

The L79 engines (hi-perf 327) would have a different PS pump bracket which would allow the larger balancer to clear. But I don't have a picture of an L79 bracket.
s1nemesis1s likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This is gold guys, thank you so much! I think I am going to try the smaller balancer. I am hoping my retrofit kit comes with a power steering bracket...if not then I have some searching to do. Or some soul searching to do decide if it is important enough for the effort lol.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nemesis1s View Post
This is gold guys, thank you so much! I think I am going to try the smaller balancer. I am hoping my retrofit kit comes with a power steering bracket...if not then I have some searching to do. Or some soul searching to do decide if it is important enough for the effort lol.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, if you are going with a 350, I would really encourage you to use the larger 350 style harmonic balancer.
71350SS and s1nemesis1s like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I put a 350 with an 8" balancer in a 1966 Caprice with my son. It took just a little grinding on the power steering pump bracket and everything worked fine.
s1nemesis1s likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 3:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, if you are going with a 350, I would really encourage you to use the larger 350 style harmonic balancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975TypeS-3 View Post
I put a 350 with an 8" balancer in a 1966 Caprice with my son. It took just a little grinding on the power steering pump bracket and everything worked fine.
Okay - looks like I have an order to send back. I have an 8" balancer on hand with the my 4 bolt main block, the block I am going to use. Can I use the old one or do I need a new one? It looks crappy, but I can clean that up.

Thank you all very much.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 19, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I think you are taking on a lot all at once so maybe get the replacement engine in and running then do the PS upgrade at a later date.Just because the engine is out doesn't make a steering box upgrade any easier.This also gives you time to choose a better PS box than the stock one from summit and time to find some PS brackets too.
One of the things that TC(as a whole) has came up with are great resources in OE candidates for P/S swap upgrades such as the Jeep grand Cherokee box,the 2nd & 3rd Gen Trans Am & Z28 Camaro
and 83-87 MonteCarlo SS,Olds 442 and Buick Grand National steering boxes plus there are many other boxes that will work too.
And it's 1 less thing to worry about on your engines 1st start up.
s1nemesis1s likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 7:07 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Not sure how crazy of a 350 you are building but I would not be at all afraid of using the smaller balancer and not have to worry about grinding or modifying stuff. The circle track guys use 7" and even a 6 3/4" lightweight damper for less rotating weight. I would say that on the majority of street engines the small damper will not make a bit of difference.
s1nemesis1s likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 8:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Millions of 350 powered cars & trucks in junk yards that came from the factory with power steering, couldn't you get whatever brackets and mounting hardware there?
Check fit, clean & paint, and X10 on the later model steering box for a modern feel steering system
s1nemesis1s likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
I think you are taking on a lot all at once so maybe get the replacement engine in and running then do the PS upgrade at a later date.Just because the engine is out doesn't make a steering box upgrade any easier.This also gives you time to choose a better PS box than the stock one from summit and time to find some PS brackets too.
One of the things that TC(as a whole) has came up with are great resources in OE candidates for P/S swap upgrades such as the Jeep grand Cherokee box,the 2nd & 3rd Gen Trans Am & Z28 Camaro
and 83-87 MonteCarlo SS,Olds 442 and Buick Grand National steering boxes plus there are many other boxes that will work too.
And it's 1 less thing to worry about on your engines 1st start up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Not sure how crazy of a 350 you are building but I would not be at all afraid of using the smaller balancer and not have to worry about grinding or modifying stuff. The circle track guys use 7" and even a 6 3/4" lightweight damper for less rotating weight. I would say that on the majority of street engines the small damper will not make a bit of difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Millions of 350 powered cars & trucks in junk yards that came from the factory with power steering, couldn't you get whatever brackets and mounting hardware there?
Check fit, clean & paint, and X10 on the later model steering box for a modern feel steering system
Thank you all,

I tend to get over-excited about things and really get scattered. You all are right. I am taking on too much at one time. I need to focus on the engine rebuild and that alone. If I blow up my transmission, just something else I get to work on, same with rear! I want power steering, but I like this idea of using factory type parts or used parts.,

Can one of you all hook me up with a link to a write up on this jeep conversion? I am all about restomod - so I love this idea. I will send the kit back I got post haste, as well as my power brake kit. I really just wanted power steering - power brakes are fine but it is not something that I NEED. When I got my license in 2001 my first real driveable car was 1967 Chrysler Newport with manual drum brakes - NEVER had a problem - I actually thought it stopped GREAT as I had all the drums balanced and pressures even.

So, I want to THANK you all again - and I wanted to ask about a link or some links to a conversion post - I have looked and I am finding breadcrumbs, I am hoping there is a more comprehensive posting on this jeep box conversion.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

wait before you send that kit back lets see what you got,maybe you got lucky and got a good st box.Any part numbers or distinguishing features on the box itself.
Hrere's the link to the JGCherokee box swap.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...then-some.html

It's in a sticky in the "brakes and susp" Forum If you lose track of it.Get ready it's like reading War and Peace.
s1nemesis1s likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 5:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have not cracked open the box yet - but here is what I got:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpp70psk
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 19, 7:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

^^^ I saw that summit picture before from that link you posted and that doesn't look like any A-body Saginaw steering box that I've ever seen.I don't know what that is in the picture.
Check this link out :Camaro :
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=446&jsn=446
or this one :Chevelle:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...495917&jsn=549

That is what a GM A-body steering box should look like.Here is a little gear box history:https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...teering-boxes/
Although there are some minor question marks in this article it's still a decent write up.
s1nemesis1s likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in