Liquid head gasket repair. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Liquid head gasket repair.

I know if a vehicle has a blown head gasket it should be replaced. However, I am wondering if anyone has ever used the products that allegedly seal the leak without clogging the engine or causing other issues such as "Steel Seal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage
Re: Liquid head gasket repair.

I haven't used head gasket product, but once I used product to stop a refrigerant leak. It ended up clogging a screen in the expansion valve and I had to not only replace the hose, but also the valve. If it can plug a leak it means that there is more stuff to cause problems. I would spend the time and fix it the right way.
shovelrick likes this.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 1:54 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Those sealers may or may not seal, and they mess up the whole system during their futile attempts. Only as band aid for something you;re looking to sell off. And even that......
shovelrick likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

They don't work in most cases. The only permanent fix is to replace the gasket.
shovelrick likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 4:16 PM

Because I'm a dirt cheap guy that was broke for most of my life, I have used a lot of..."backyard fixes" over the years. I'd never recommend others to do it, because half-assed is a great way to describe them, but they worked for me.

But gasket sealers...yes, to a degree. I've used the K&W sealer on a few motors I didn't care about, the kind where I'm planning on pulling the motor anyways, so at worst I'm out $20 and a couple hours of my time if it doesn't work. If it does, hey, maybe it gets me through the winter so I'm not freezing my berries off while pulling the motor to fix it the right way.

It worked on the small leaks. The kind where you're topping off the overflow bottle every other week or so. The leaks where you're lucky to make it to 15 miles to work without overheating...not at all.

I found it also isn't a great plan if you have modern aluminium radiators with the small tubes, as it can plug the tubes just as well as the head gasket. Same thing here for the radiator sealers. I've used that powdered aluminum radiator sealer in a lot of vehicles, and plugged a few radiators too well doing this too, lol. Once as a teenager, I even plugged a water pump with that stuff on my old Grand Am, though at that point I didn't know about weep holes on a water pump, and just kept pouring more powder in the radiator.

But same thing - worked well on the small weeping leaks, but anything bigger it didn't do anything useful, and unlike what the instructions often say, if one doesn't do it, no amount of further treatments will help.
shovelrick likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 5:32 PM

I have used "K-Seal" on a ls 5.3 with cracked heads and it stopped drinking antifreeze. I put 8000 miles on truck after "fix" and never lost any more coolant. Sold truck but it's still seen occasionally. They have two different products available i used cheap one as I knew it wasn't head gasket.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 5:38 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Those radiator biscuits GM sells actually work pretty well, but they are typically used more as a preventative treatment than a fix it treatment. They seal well but don't cause clogs.
71350SS likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 11:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

I'm gonna go contrary to other opinions, I have used Bar's Leak on occasion to stop cooling system/head gasket leaks. When I worked for Good Humor in the garage, we put a container of Bar's Leak in whenever we replaced an engine assembly and it never caused any problems. Your Choice!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 1:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

is this a high mileage motor? Or is it freshly built? If it doesn't have lots of miles on it, then keep in mind that blown head gaskets are caused by engine knock/pinging, and also warped cylinder heads from the engine being run while overheating. So unless the head gaskets have a whole lot of miles on them, you have another problem, and you should first pull a couple of the spark plugs to see if there are dark speckles on the insulator part which would be an indication of engine knock. If that is the case, then it's time to back off on the ignition timing before you destroy the pistons or the piston rings, and use 93 octane gas if you currently use the 89 octane stuff or the 87 octane cat piss at the pump

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 8:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Those radiator biscuits GM sells actually work pretty well, but they are typically used more as a preventative treatment than a fix it treatment. They seal well but don't cause clogs.
We used these at the machine shop. If we ever had an engine go in a car and had a little weep at a core plug we would use them. I used them in my Nova with no issue. I think Pioneer markets them too, along with their line of core plugs!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 8:44 AM
Tech Team
Rick

I've recently used some Bars Stop Leak with good results so far. But I isolated the heater core and put in my shop-use-only radiator so as to not bother them. Maybe it wouldn't have plugged them up but I took no chances. The regular radiator etc got reinstalled after a week of heat cycling the Stop Leak stuff and draining the system.

So far, so good. Not bad for a 28 dollar head gasket repair.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
71350SS likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 8:14 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Have used Barrs Leaks several times in the last 50 years or so. It works.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleguy View Post
I know if a vehicle has a blown head gasket it should be replaced. However, I am wondering if anyone has ever used the products that allegedly seal the leak without clogging the engine or causing other issues such as "Steel Seal".
I have used a product called "Blue devil" head gasket sealer and the first time I used after following the directions to the letter it worked as advertised and sealed the HG.Car was burning antifreeze a little at a time but not leaking it to the ground.
The second time I used it the engine had a intake gasket leak and a head gasket leak so bad it was blowing antifreeze smoke rings as it drove up to the shop.After using it the engine stopped blowing smoke as the engine idled even though it needed 2 separate repairs.
A lot of people will tell you that stuff don't work but I've used it 3 times successfully.If the HG is that screwed up probably nothing will help it but I saw that Hi-mileage 94 or something Chevy van get fixed and I would have no problem giving it a try.The thing is it may work or it may not but when you try it out do it as the directions say to do it.
For instance for the Blue Devil to work right, you have to drain ALL the antifreeze out and use water instead plus remove the thermostat to make it work right,don't skip those parts.I saw someone do it but skipped the thermostat part because he said the thermostat is open so "its not needed". it didn't work that time.

https://gobdp.com/

this is their website and I see they now have a pour and go product that's a little cheaper than the original blue devil product the one I used was around $58.and took 1-1/2 or 2 hrs running time and I put the stat back the following day.
I haven't used any kind of pour and go HG product so those I cannot recommend.
BillyGman likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 4:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Has anyone ever used the AC/Delco coolant tabs?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 6:23 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleguy View Post
Has anyone ever used the AC/Delco coolant tabs?
Read the responses in your thread.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in