• 2 Post By shovelrick
  • 2 Post By Dave Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Oil pump Dowel pin too tight

I'm putting a melling HV pump in a BB and the pin closest to the shaft is too tight, pump to cap is over an 1/8th to 3/16ths inch do I drill the hole a little larger? I'm worried if I just tighten it down it'll crack the pump, I did a search and didn't find anything on this problem I cant be the first with this problem?
Oh and any reason not to use locktite on the stud & nut?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by shovelrick; Nov 15th, 19 at 9:59 PM. Reason: more text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 8:03 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Oil pump Dowel pin too tight

just torque the nut to 60 or so, no loctite needed or wanted.

Why the HV puimp? stuck in the 80s?

yes, just use the next size bit larger than the pin. that would be in 64ths.
shovelrick likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

You might try running a file around the pin first.

And as Tom hinted, the "hot setup" is the standard pump with the blue high-pressure spring.
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 9:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

It sounds like the pins are spaced correctly, from what you indicate, but, one of the pins, or both have drilled locating pin holes too small in diameter to fit the dowel pins.

I would think the pump didn't get drilled correctly. If it were my pump, and that were the case, it wouldn't get anything but taken back to the vendor, and a pump with no defects obtained.

Just my opinion.
LeoP and shovelrick like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

It's the same model pump I installed in my 454 with 22,400 miles on it 7 yrs. ago and it seems to work really good, I've already pressed the new pick up in and bolted the bracket to it (haven't decided on welding it) prob drill the hole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 6:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Might align the pump on the drill press to drill the hole out straight. really easy to mis-align the hole, putting side load on the dowel hole, which might cause pump nousing failure later on.

As far as the pickup, I stopped welding/brazing pickups to them decades ago. I use the bracket to hold the pickup in place, and if you make your own brackets, it is easy to build one that will not allow the pickup to fall out, nor move. Just be creative.

I have also seen pickups that were welded all the way around their tubes at the pump, literally fall apart at the weld, pressed in end still in the pump, tube metallurgy altered to the point it was weakened by/at the weld.
shovelrick likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 7:43 PM
Tech Team
Chris

If the old pump fits and the new one doesn't then there is a problem with the new pump and should be taken back to the shop and swapped for another.
LKN BCK and LeoP like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

This was a bare 4 bolt main studded/head studs block I got with nothing else, going to try a small rat tail file on the hole
71350SS likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 9:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Might align the pump on the drill press to drill the hole out straight. really easy to mis-align the hole, putting side load on the dowel hole, which might cause pump nousing failure later on.

As far as the pickup, I stopped welding/brazing pickups to them decades ago. I use the bracket to hold the pickup in place, and if you make your own brackets, it is easy to build one that will not allow the pickup to fall out, nor move. Just be creative.

I have also seen pickups that were welded all the way around their tubes at the pump, literally fall apart at the weld, pressed in end still in the pump, tube metallurgy altered to the point it was weakened by/at the weld.
That's a classic case of overkill. I weld mine on, but just one small tack with the MIG is all that's needed.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 7:31 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Try this before you take a file to the rear main cap:

1. If you have another pump - new or old - see if that one fits.
2. If you have another block - or at least another rear main cap - see if the pump fits that.
3. If you have neither - take your pump and rear cap to your friendly engine shop and see if they can try the pump on one of their blocks / caps. See if an old pump fits on your cap.

That way you will find out which is the culprit.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 8:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

OK, just what can be safely welded, or brazed to CAST IRON?

Well, only one thing, CAST IRON, when the parts are welded at a high temperature, which would cause heat distortion of the CAST IRON parts.

Over kill, "I don't think so, Tim" (Randy).

Never ceases to utterly amaze me.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 19, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

The stroker assembly I got from Mike Lewis has already been assembled in the short block so I really don't want or can't remove to cap to file it, I'm going to open up the 1 pin hole that's tight and I'm thinking it should be fine, hoping my 2.5 yr old HP 17" laptop will get back to letting me post pics when I want, been reading a lot about rocker arm geometry since that's coming up soon on this engine, uhg

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 19, 1:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
The stroker assembly I got from Mike Lewis has already been assembled in the short block so I really don't want or can't remove to cap to file it, I'm going to open up the 1 pin hole that's tight and I'm thinking it should be fine, hoping my 2.5 yr old HP 17" laptop will get back to letting me post pics when I want, been reading a lot about rocker arm geometry since that's coming up soon on this engine, uhg
Rick
Not a big deal just open the damn hole like you mentioned in your first post,,,,,,,,,

As a matter of info there are some aftermarket blocks that are drilled so you have to use a .250 pin so you have to open the pump to make it fit
The standard pin is .247
77 cruiser and shovelrick like this.

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 1:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
1/4" bit fit through with my fingers so I used a cordless drill cleaned the hole and WaLa
77 cruiser and Wolfplace like this.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 4:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Good deal, sir.
LeoP and shovelrick like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in