Carburetor Cleaner - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 3:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Carburetor Cleaner

I have been using the Berrymans carb cleaner for years and have been very satisfied with it's cleaning. But, I've gotten to the point where I can't stand to smell this stuff anymore. Those of you that have ever used it knows it has a VERY strong odor. Have any of you found a pleasant smelling or very low odor carb cleaner available in 5 gallon containers that cleans very well? Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0905-transparent-1-553x750.png
Views:	10
Size:	964.9 KB
ID:	607900  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 3:59 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Carburetor Cleaner

Phil,
I have never been able to stand the smell of that stuff either. I used to get the Gunk Hydroseal and it was just as bad. The last bucket I bought didn't work as good as the old dangerous stuff either. The last couple of carbs I have done I have stuck them in my Ultrasonic cleaner. It does a so-so job on the outside but the inside seems to be nice and clean. Seems like all of the chemicals we used to get have been banned because of how bad they are for us

I know that doesnt answer your question I dont think you will find something that works well and also smells nice.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

I use the Berryman's all the time, and am used to the smell. Supposedly, the citrus based stuff works as well, but, I have nver used it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 5:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I miss the good old carb cleaner where you stuck your hand in it and pulled out a stump. I recently bought some from NAPA and had to soak parts for over two days and still had to scrub parts to get them clean.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 6:14 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I feel your pain. I used mine about 4 weeks ago, set the can out back, and still can't get the smell outta my shop. Wife has to remind me when I come in the house, how I smell like that chemical stuff...lol. I guess we know it's good cuz it smells bad. I've found, the smelly good stuff, never works as good as the smelly bad stuff.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 9:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

The Berryman in the 80's seemed to work better for me.
I quit using soak cleaners for carbs a few years ago and went with this.
https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...gun-68290.html

A cleaning gun I hook to my air compressor.
I use water and Arm and Hammer carpet deoderizer.
I was using regular baking soda mixed in warm water and it did work for years but it took some time to blast parts clean.
I needed a coarser soda but not too coarse.

I had a box of the carpet deoderizer and figured i would try it mixed with water.
5 times quicker.
But if you are wanting to keep the green or gold outside finish be gentle as you can blast it off.

I like the water carpet baking soda best for cleaning inside the carbs.. it will remove the worst crud including the sticky black goo if you use hot water.
It will unclog passages and jets .

I finish up with a hot water rinse and blow everything out and off with compressed air.
Not smelly and it is fast.

Try it on the next one you have that does not want to come clean.
Cleans tops of pistons really nice also.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 11:04 PM
Team Member
Dave

I use MEK on almost everything. Still poisonous, and still works

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I quit using MEK when I began tasting it ..it absorbed through my skin.. got to be wrapped up when using that good stuff.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 3:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Not too long ago I bought 24 gallons of Simple Green Lemon scented stuff from walmart.com and payed something like 40 bucks for it. I soaked a couple fuel bowls overnight in a pan and they came out remarkably clean, much better than I had hoped so I developed a "little trust" in the product for future use. I typically purchase brake cleaner for most stuff but don't do anything commercially, only for my own junk and it is acceptable for that. In California everything is as neutered as is humanly possible.That simple Green keeps spots off the concrete driveway if used quickly after a spill.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.301 60' 3355 pbr 1.306 3055S
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 6:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The guy I worked with used this Berryman all the time. He would open the 5 gal pail and I would get an instant headache. We had a covered area on the side of our shop and I moved it outside. Kills too many brain cells and I cant afford to lose anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 7:43 PM
Tech Team

Some people say Pine-sol is supposed to work pretty good.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 8:04 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

for brake cleaner try a 50/50 mix of alcohol and acetone. werksferme.
boyd66k20 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 8:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I didn't know MEK was still around, in the 80's my ex wife worked at a plating/anodize shop and the EPA was always bugging them about it, the disposal of it IIRC, stuff takes anything off of anything

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 10:42 PM
Team Member
Dave

Lowe's no longer sells MEK, but you can get it at a real hardware store. I used to get it from a 55 gal drum at my old job. I've always said, if the product label doesn't have a skull and crossbones on it, it ain't no good!
shovelrick likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 19, 8:05 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

what does MEK smell like? does it smell like the old Berrymans, back before the EPA neutered it?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in