• 1 Post By Chad1969
  • 1 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By JF74chevelle
  • 1 Post By cuisinartvette

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

LS3 Crate Engine or 6.0 build? 69 Chevelle

At the point where I need to decide to build a used 6.0 truck engine or pay up and get a LS3 crate engine? I'm leaning towards the crate engine less hassle no need for hp tuners etc. As always would be curious to hear from others who may have been down this road
69Chvll likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 9:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: LS3 Crate Engine or 6.0 build? 69 Chevelle

Not real positive. I do remember G.M. has a crate engine that is for a ( PRE) 1973 or older G.M. car. It comes with the wiring and the tranny also I believe its around a 440 H.P. engine? A friend of mine stuck one in an early vette, 60s something?
Very easy install due to the fact it was designed to " GO IN " a pre 73- " A " body. Due some research, Then open your wallet! I think the complete engine package, Engine, Wiring, tranny, Harness, needed sensors, Etc. was around 10 grand, Not sure. All of the items you do not WANT or NEED are NOT on this pre 73 G.M. " Hot Rod " package.
Way to much " Engine Stuff " is available today. If you got the Cash!
Bob
BigBlockLover likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 1:14 PM

I believe Robin is talking about the E-Rod system engines from GM. I saw some of these up in Charlotte not long ago. Robin's right, you get what you need and nothing you don't need. Here's a link to the engines:

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/category/ERODE.html

"No replacement for displacement!"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 2:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
No need for hp tuners. The easiest way to do an LS is terminator X. That’s the way I’m doing it. I am picking up a 6.2 short block.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 7:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
No need for hp tuners. The easiest way to do an LS is terminator X. Thatís the way Iím doing it. I am picking up a 6.2 short block.
I have not really been really up to date following trends but I have been hearing good things about Hollley's Terminator X lately. Is there an advantage to ie. cost savings or anything else as to just buying a package deal LS3 crate engine? Will you be that much ahead once you've pieced everything together?

At this point its a toss up between GM Performance's 430hp or 480hp LS3 crate engine. But this Terminator X has me curious I need to explore the pros cons, cost difference.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 19, 9:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
If you’re going with a crate motor just run the ECU for that motor that GM sells.
pannetron likes this.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 2:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

x2 probably no better system than the oem. Id charge up acrate before trusting a 200k mi engine, some have a little too much faith in them.
Youre still going to spend some cash either way may as well get new.
Chad1969 likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 6:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
x2 probably no better system than the oem. Id charge up acrate before trusting a 200k mi engine, some have a little too much faith in them.
I think I'd agree but said new LS3 crate engine $10,000 + once installed vs used 6.0 LS with Holley Terminator X engine management $5000 possibly higher? decisions decisions
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1969 View Post
Quote:
I think I'd agree but said new LS3 crate engine $10,000 + once installed vs used 6.0 LS with Holley Terminator X engine management $5000 possibly higher? decisions decisions
You can’t do an LS swap for much less than 5k if you’re willing to do more work and look for deals.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1969 View Post
Quote:
You can’t do an LS swap for much less than 5k if you’re willing to do more work and look for deals.
Meant to say CAN* do for much less

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in