What is everyone using for 1967 BB Alternator brackets? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Malibu ss 64

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 6:47 PM Thread Starter

What is everyone using for 1967 BB Alternator brackets?

Hey all, I have a 67 396 Chevelle that I am in the process of getting running after it sat for 16 years. My mother bought the car new, then my brother drove it and parked it after doing a bunch of things to it such as putting on an Edelbrock RPM intake manifold and converting it to a long water pump and passenger side alternator. Well, I have spent a lot of time putting the car back correct, but I have his a bit of a snag with the driver's side alternator placement and the Edelbrock manifold. Is there a factory'esqe upper bracket that will work with that manifold? I have the factory bracket but the hole is off quite a bit. I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find an answer in the search. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 7:19 PM
Tech Team

Re: What is everyone using for 1967 BB Alternator brackets?

Im in the process of switching to a serpentine setup and before I had mine on the passenger side, but I recall looking at this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...make/chevrolet

Might work, unless you have a long water pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 8:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Since you say it has been converted to long water pump with alternator on passenger's side, most any 69-72 big block alternator bracket should work if there is a threaded hole in the front of the passenger's side head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 19, 9:10 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danswrld View Post
Hey all, I have a 67 396 Chevelle that I am in the process of getting running after it sat for 16 years. My mother bought the car new, then my brother drove it and parked it after doing a bunch of things to it such as putting on an Edelbrock RPM intake manifold and converting it to a long water pump and passenger side alternator. Well, I have spent a lot of time putting the car back correct, but I have his a bit of a snag with the driver's side alternator placement and the Edelbrock manifold. Is there a factory'esqe upper bracket that will work with that manifold? I have the factory bracket but the hole is off quite a bit. I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find an answer in the search. Thanks!
When I ran an Edelbrock I took a new reproduction bracket and ground off the bottom left bolt hole to make it work, using only the other bolts for mounting. I wouldn't deface an original bracket though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 12:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimhard View Post
When I ran an Edelbrock I took a new reproduction bracket and ground off the bottom left bolt hole to make it work, using only the other bolts for mounting. I wouldn't deface an original bracket though.
I had the same issue with a stock bracket on a Performer RPM intake. I elongated the mounting holes on the bracket just enough so it would bolt up, I guess I was lucky, the slot for the alternator bolt lined up perfectly.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 1:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

I had to modify my bracket with RPM airgap intake I bought a cheap chrome trd modified blasted and powder coated black. Thickness seems to be close to same as oem.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9581
Welded on a piece of flat steel and filled the upper mounting hole that sits in the intake with the welder, grinded flat marked and drilled a new hole in the correct spot. Maybe 20 min job total.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/AA-45KIT.html

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/AAB-4500.html

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/BZ-117.html

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/APX-1038.html

See at the Bottom of each Page for " Related Products "

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 12:18 PM
Gold Member
Gene

same here Dan. I couldnt run the stock bracket with the tripower I ve been using for the last 15 years, and when the new engine arrived from Colorado Springs ( Votrtecpro), the darn GMPP manifold had its hole 1/2" off from where the oem bracket has its, so, I elongated BOTH the lower hole 1/4" and the upper hole 1/4" to make it work.

The geometry, or belt alignment , still seems spot on.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 7:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Since you say it has been converted to long water pump with alternator on passenger's side, most any 69-72 big block alternator bracket should work if there is a threaded hole in the front of the passenger's side head.
It was that way when I put the car in my garage, however I converted it back to a short pump and back to the driver's side.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 19, 7:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the all the info, I will most likely buy a stock appearing re-pop and see if I can modify it to work. My brother sold off the original intake about a decade ago so switching back isn't really an option. (If I could only go back in time.....)

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in