Engine General Engine Discussion.

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Forged Piston Opinions...

Is there anything wrong with the JE SRP forged pistons?? How about the Icon forged pistons?? What about DSS forged pistons??

Also, are forged pistons made with 4032 aluminum acceptable for a street car?? I know that 2618 is better, but there are several companies making the 4032 units these days (the JE SRP pistons are 4032 - the Icon pistons are 2618, but they weigh 13 grams more than my current units). I need to keep my costs down with this rebuild, and I can source the SRP pistons for around $470. They also are very close in weight to my current pistons (403 grams - my current ones are 409 grams).

Do I need standard or low tension rings for a street car??

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 7:41 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Forged Piston Opinions...

no low tension rings in a street car build.

Sorry I missed your call, I'm down for the count today. can't get more than about 10 feet from the bathroom, if you know what I mean.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 7:43 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

SRPs are about thje best, have been for a long time. Mike Lewis can get you the long deal on pistons. you have 64cc heads? you'll want the 12cc D shaped dish. FOr a street car in AZ I don't favor the super skinny rings, just run the regular 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 deal.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 7:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Is there anything wrong with the JE SRP forged pistons?? How about the Icon forged pistons?? What about DSS forged pistons??

Also, are forged pistons made with 4032 aluminum acceptable for a street car?? I know that 2618 is better, but there are several companies making the 4032 units these days (the JE SRP pistons are 4032 - the Icon pistons are 2618, but they weigh 13 grams more than my current units). I need to keep my costs down with this rebuild, and I can source the SRP pistons for around $470. They also are very close in weight to my current pistons (403 grams - my current ones are 409 grams).

Do I need standard or low tension rings for a street car??
If your block was plate honed you can use a 2and Napier ring and a Low tension oil ring. You might look at the Mahle pistons 1MM 1MM 2MM oil ring and low tension you can push the pistons in with one finger. I use Mahle pistons when ever I can both street and in my circle track engine.

My custom pistons I have them made for the Mahle ring pack excellent results.

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 8:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
If your block was plate honed you can use a 2and Napier ring and a Low tension oil ring. You might look at the Mahle pistons 1MM 1MM 2MM oil ring and low tension you can push the pistons in with one finger. I use Mahle pistons when ever I can both street and in my circle track engine.

My custom pistons I have them made for the Mahle ring pack excellent results.
The pricing I have seen on the Mahle pistons is pretty steep. I can get into a set of the SRP pistons for under $500.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Why do you want to go forged?
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Why do you want to go forged?
Because I won't run cast pistons ever again. Two engines were destroyed by cast pistons breaking. I will only run forged from here on out.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
The pricing I have seen on the Mahle pistons is pretty steep. I can get into a set of the SRP pistons for under $500.
You get what you pay for using pistons with mack truck rings are not the way to go.

If your worried about money put a set of cast pistons in LMAO

Website is up and running

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
You get what you pay for using pistons with mack truck rings are not the way to go.

If your worried about money put a set of cast pistons in LMAO
Wrong answer! LMAO is not something a guy needing advice needs to hear.
If you're an authority, give sound advice.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 8:53 AM
Senior Tech Team

I've run a few sets of SRP, had no issues.
If you're going injection, go with Gary's Napier and low tension oil ring recommendation.
I'm convinced that there are at least 2 good reasons why I have torn down engines with well over 150K on them that still showed factory hone marks in the bores: 1) no washed down cylinder walls from cold start flooding, and 2)piston ring technology.
I tore down one from a truck with 417K on the ticker (that had stopped) when I parted the truck out. Factory pistons and bearings. And visible hone marks in all 8 bores. I have torn down literally dozens of carbureted engines, some with such a large ridge at the top of ring travel that it broke rings when I knocked the pistons out.
Anybody back in the 70's that even claims to have had an engine that actually made it to 150K on an engine was immediately branded a liar.
fr8dog and Tarheel Chevelle like this.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 10:59 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Wrong answer! LMAO is not something a guy needing advice needs to hear.
If you're an authority, give sound advice.
I think that was said "tongue and cheek", trying to make a subtle point. I don't think it was meant to be offensive at all.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 11:03 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
There are a lot of "top notch" builders who use Mahle Pistons and a metric ring pack.

That's what I've got in my 383 from Bruce Parsons in Dayton, OH and that's what Mark Jones uses a lot.

The latter should make the decision for you, IMHO.

In life....but especially in this hobby....you almost always get what you pay for. If a part like a piston is that much cheaper, it's likely b/c it's not made as well or from material that is as good.

I'm a cheap a*s CPA.....but I stopped building on the cheap years ago b/c I got tired of buying things twice and fixing leaks.
LeoP and Tarheel Chevelle like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 2:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Mark Jones used Mahle in my 496. Mike Lewis sold me SRP for a Little M build that he knew could see a 200 shot. Conventional ring pack on the SRP. I'm sure there's benefits to better ring packs but I'm not expecting 100k miles out of the Little M. How much power am I losing out on with a conventional ring pack? I bet I can make it up in spray.... And if the conventional rings wear the bore a little faster it's all the more reason to take the bore to 4.125" like I wish I had years ago. That's another dumb story entirely, though.

The SRPs were bought several years ago and my budget was more modest then but I don't know that I would make a different choice today. I'd probably trust Mike to make the choice for me. But they'd also be a 4.125”, not a 4.03”.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

If anything the forced induction world has taught us is that forged pistons really aren’t necessary if your tune-up is right. If your tune-up is wrong, the forged pistons will last .005 seconds longer.

I wouldn’t be afraid to run a good hyper piston. The factory cast/hyper pistons in my turbo mustang last dyno’d at around 800 to the wheels. Imagine what the engine is making. Still running like a champ.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 2:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
If anything the forced induction world has taught us is that forged pistons really aren’t necessary if your tune-up is right. If your tune-up is wrong, the forged pistons will last .005 seconds longer.
I agree with this but you're kind of talking about the extreme end of abuse. Max effort mishaps are like nuclear bombs- neither will survive a mishap. Tuning mistakes on a regular guy street machine is more like small arms fire. A forged piston will take more .22 rounds than a hyper.

How much more? I'm not qualified to say. But guys that I trust say we have more safety factor at the level I'm at on the street.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in