Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 8th, 19, 2:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Engine Trouble...

I was driving this morning and was on it a bit. Halfway through second gear, it started running poorly and losing power. I was able to coast it into a parking lot. When I tried to restart it, it was backfiring through the carburetor. I soon discovered that the distributor had moved. It was really stiff trying to move it back, so it should be clamped well enough to hold it in position. When I started it back up, the top end was very noisy and my oil pressure light was on.

The only things that have changed recently are installing a new distributor within the last 6 months (Accel HEI), and starting the change over to 10W30 engine oil (from 10W40). Since the engine will start and run, I know that the distributor gear roll pin did not shear. I am fearful that it is the oil pump or oil pump drive. I do not have the equipment to pull this engine and this is my daily driver. I am going to pull the distributor later and see if anything looks amiss. I also noticed some oil spray on the firewall (a little bit) and the oil pressure sending unit is very wet on top - I think it is leaking.

If anyone is local to me and might be able to assist with an engine pull, please let me know. This engine has been a problem since the day I received it (arrived with one straight plug head, and one angle plug head, two blown head gaskets 6 months out of warranty - less than 8,000 miles on it, leaks from the 6 month point on, and Pro Comp cylinder heads that were not machined correctly at the spark plug holes which resulted in 4 cylinders having the threads in the head pull while removing the spark plugs). I do not have the money for a new engine right now, so I am going to have to try to fix what I have.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 8th, 19, 3:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Engine Trouble...

Holy Smokes, who put that together??? Youve been through the wringer with that one!

Guessing the dist gear is Ok? No bent pushrods?

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 8th, 19, 5:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Holy Smokes, who put that together??? Youve been through the wringer with that one!

Guessing the dist gear is Ok? No bent pushrods?
A builder in California - no longer doing business under the name of the company that I purchased it from (I actually hope he is out of business for good). I have not pulled the distributor yet.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 8th, 19, 10:36 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

good talking to you Brian. I think we'll be able to get up and running OK without breaking the bank.
Hotwire likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 8th, 19, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
good talking to you Brian. I think we'll be able to get up and running OK without breaking the bank.
As soon as I can locate an engine hoist I can get it pulled. The problem will be the down time while waiting for pistons, a cam, and any other needed parts.

Will it be worth it to only go .020 over?? What size would that be (3.75 stroke, 6" rods, 4.020 bore)?? Or would it be better to just go to 4.030 and be done with it at 383 cubic inches??

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 12:02 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

just go om.030 and be done with it. There's a lot to be said for going with stuff that's easy to get.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

What specific name brand oil filter did you use in the oil change?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 1:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daniel

What am I missing? Where is the story?

1970 Chevelle - Best time at the WCCG 12.749 @ 108.606, 2.011 60' on street tires!

427 BBC, 215 heads, 2.19/1.88 valves with some port work, 60212 Lunati Hyd Roller, 3310 Holley 750, Performer RPM intake, TH350 with shift kit, 3.55 gears 12 bolt posi, Pypes 3 inch kit, it's alive... again!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 1:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Might check with Northern Auto Parts for a engine kit... They always have had good turn around on orders.

Engine Kits | Northern Auto Parts
dozerhand likes this.

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 4:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
What specific name brand oil filter did you use in the oil change?
I have been using the AC Delco PF1218 filters for years on this engine - no other filter has ever been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikman33 View Post
What am I missing? Where is the story?

The story is that I lost oil pressure. I started removing everything this morning to get ready to pull the engine. I discovered that the distributor will not come out. It will rotate okay, but I can not get it to budge when I pull up on it. So, something in that area below the distributor may have a problem. I will hopefully be able to get it to the new builder by Friday.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 7:21 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

this coming Friday?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
this coming Friday?
If possible. If not, I can just leave it on the trailer and we can shoot for another day.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 7:59 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I'm just now putting together a nice 383 for a guy on the Camaro site. Let me see how far I get on it before committing to Friday. neither of wants to have you drive all the way across the valley and I'm not ready.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 8:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Brian that really sucks! in the early 80's a friend had a 71 or 2 charger with a 318 and got on it and off real quick well it jumped the timing chain maybe that happened? but if dist. wont come out???

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Unread Oct 9th, 19, 9:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Good, not a FRAM.

Long shot. As far as the distributor, might try to lift it with one hand, or hands of a friend, and rock the rotor back and forth, as in rotating it, might cause it to break loose if the gear is done in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in