LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: Engine Trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Brian that really sucks! in the early 80's a friend had a 71 or 2 charger with a 318 and got on it and off real quick well it jumped the timing chain maybe that happened? but if dist. wont come out???
Once I moved the distributor back to where it needed to be, it fired right up - just had no oil pressure. It is supposed to have a decent double roller setup and I think the engine has less than 60,000 miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Good, not a FRAM.

Long shot. As far as the distributor, might try to lift it with one hand, or hands of a friend, and rock the rotor back and forth, as in rotating it, might cause it to break loose if the gear is done in.
I tried a few times to get it out, but it just would not pull upwards at all. The new builder told me to just leave it in and he will deal with it. Hopefully I will have the engine out of the car tomorrow.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

It sounds like the collar or coupler that connects to the oil pump shaft got messed up? if Toms straightening out the engine for you problem solved

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 5:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I got the engine pulled today. Once I had it sitting on my trailer, I pulled straight up on the distributor and it came right out. It looks like it is okay to me. So, this is leading me to believe that the oil pump pickup may have come off, or something bad happened with the oil pump itself. Once I get it over to the new builder, we can discover what actually happened. This thing has been leaking a LOT of oil. It will be nice to not have to dump a quart of oil into it every 300 - 400 miles (which will make my oil supply last longer).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191010_141837_HDR.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	605222   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191010_141850_HDR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	605224  
MidLife72 and shovelrick like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Brian, just thinking out loud here, is there a possibility you have a high volume pump but the pump driveshaft wasn't upgraded to a hardened unit? The other obvious cause is the pickup may have fallen off the pump.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
Brian, just thinking out loud here, is there a possibility you have a high volume pump but the pump driveshaft wasn't upgraded to a hardened unit? The other obvious cause is the pickup may have fallen off the pump.
I'm leaning towards the pickup falling off. The pump is a Melling M55 - my build sheet doesn't say anything about high volume.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Pesky distributors.

On the pickup, I NEVER weld or braze on them. There are bolt on brackets that fit to lock the pickup into the pump, and those are what I always either make, or buy to use.
LeoP likes this.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 7:07 AM
Senior Tech Team

I agree that it is time to cut your losses with that money hole. Start over and eliminate all the issues.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Wondering: Did your original purchase come from the Ebay seller with the name starting Clew-something? And since they are no longer on eBay is it this outfit?: Shaw City Engines?

Something to consider Brian-if this is your daily driver and you are fixed for time: Get your hands on a proven local rebuild that will suffix for the time being and get you to work dependably. Pop your old motor out and pop the direct running replacement in "the same day". Rebuilding your old motor will takes weeks if not months to accomplish. You may even want to ditch many of the parts on it that you have questions about altogether. The key here is "get you going-now". See if you can buy from a local supplier or reputable builder such as the ones here on TC.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 10:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Looks oily around the distributor, maybe it has leaked between distributor and intake?
Whats the plan for it a total rebuild? Is Tom going to fix it for you?

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Wondering: Did your original purchase come from the Ebay seller with the name starting Clew-something? And since they are no longer on eBay is it this outfit?: Shaw City Engines?

Something to consider Brian-if this is your daily driver and you are fixed for time: Get your hands on a proven local rebuild that will suffix for the time being and get you to work dependably. Pop your old motor out and pop the direct running replacement in "the same day". Rebuilding your old motor will takes weeks if not months to accomplish. You may even want to ditch many of the parts on it that you have questions about altogether. The key here is "get you going-now". See if you can buy from a local supplier or reputable builder such as the ones here on TC.
The builder in question was M & R Engines in California. I think their eBay username was MREngine. I will be okay with it being down, as I do have access to another vehicle that I can use if I need to (I mainly work from home). It is just annoying to not have my car to drive. I hope that it can be finished by mid November, as I have to take it through emissions before the end of November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
Looks oily around the distributor, maybe it has leaked between distributor and intake?
Whats the plan for it a total rebuild? Is Tom going to fix it for you?
There are leaks everywhere. The oil pan gasket front and rear, balancer seal, possibly the rear main (this is a one piece rear main block, but it has a two piece rear main adapter on it), intake, the oil pressure sending unit has been leaking, etc. I am just going to have it bored .030 over, new pistons, hopefully reuse my block/cranks/rods/intake, new cam/lifters/rocker arms (my rocker arms may be okay - I will see what Tom says, as he is going to rebuild it.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in