Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Greg

mercury marine 454

I have a Mercury Marine 454, that is from a fresh water boat. It suffered a connecting rod failure, on one cylinder, does it have any value to be rebuilt as a car engine or it that a waste of time.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 9:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: mercury marine 454

That depends on how much damage was done from the rod failure. If the only issue is damage to the crank, replace the crank and find a replacement rod - do not re-use the damaged one. If it put the rod through the side of the block - not worth rebuilding!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 8:06 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
I have a Mercury Marine 454, that is from a fresh water boat

Depends on what you mean by "fresh water". In the marine world that means that the engine itself had antifreeze running through the cooling system. If it had "river water" running through it then it is probably pretty corroded inside and not worth messing with.

Also depends on what damage was done when the rod let loose.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 9:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Depends on what you mean by "fresh water". In the marine world that means that the engine itself had antifreeze running through the cooling system. If it had "river water" running through it then it is probably pretty corroded inside and not worth messing with.

Also depends on what damage was done when the rod let loose.
Bingo!! The water jackets get eaten up by raw water cooling. We had salt water engines that the flakes wouldn't stop falling out of the water jackets. Every time we turned the block more rust fell on the shop floor. When I worked at the machine shop, unless it was closed cooling systems, boat engines, stayed boat engines.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 9:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Besides the corrosion potential
If it's from a twin setup - I "think" the right (starboard) engine rotates backwards. do not know how that effects the wear in the engine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I myself have rebuilt a couple of Marine 454 blocks years ago, being in Michigan it is fresh water and had no issues with rust scale in the blocks. My experience has been the cylinder walls are thicker and there us usually extra nickel in the casting to help prevent some corrosion. Like any block, have it checked before you spend money on machining, it can save you! I just had what appeared to be a very nice standard bore 400 small block I was going to rebuild for my Laguna, ended up having about an 8" crack in the water jacket near the lifter valley and went into the lifter valley - the money spent to check it out saved me a lot more in machining costs that would end up being scrapped!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 1:47 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975TypeS-3 View Post
My experience has been the cylinder walls are thicker and there us usually extra nickel in the casting to help prevent some corrosion.

Absolutely no difference between a marine block and a truck block. They are exactly the same.
OLDED and Chevelle_Nut like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolo View Post
Besides the corrosion potential
If it's from a twin setup - I "think" the right (starboard) engine rotates backwards. do not know how that effects the wear in the engine.

This hasn't been true for quite some time, they now both turn the same direction...unless, of course, it came out of an old boat.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 5:25 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Yeah, the lower unit of the outdrive setup is where the direction is determined to be stardard or counter rotation, not the engine itself.

Aside from corrosion of raw water cooled engines, is there any other reason to stay away from "marine" blocks to put in cars? Big Block marine engines seem to be a dime a dozen in my area.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 6:09 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
Yeah, the lower unit of the outdrive setup is where the direction is determined to be stardard or counter rotation, not the engine itself.

Aside from corrosion of raw water cooled engines, is there any other reason to stay away from "marine" blocks to put in cars? Big Block marine engines seem to be a dime a dozen in my area.

Not necessarily we put a SBC marine engine in a Ski Sanger that wouldn't run and it turns out it was a reverse rotation engine the shipper sent the wrong one . We had to pull it out a return it for the correct rotation . Google it they come up pretty quickly .lol.

72 Malibu Family Fun Car
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Greg

Based on all the comment I will just toss the lot of it into the trash. I was tired of moving it around in the garage always seamed to be in the wrong place. Thanks for the replys

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 8:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Guy down the road from me was an engineer @ Mercury Marine,he's got a "66" SS that he bought new,he's got a 502? that was a test mule from when Merc Marine first started using them installed in the car,kind of an interesting story. I've seen the car several times @ his storage building,but have never seen it on the road.He's also got a nice "69" Camaro SS that he also bought new and a "67" Barracuda Notchback with a new Hemi drivetrain in it,all three cars are black and nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in