Any engine builders in San Antonio, Texas? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage
Any engine builders in San Antonio, Texas?

I'm building a 454 with the help of a buddy of mine. I'm not an engine builder so he was helping me build the engine.. Problem is that it's taking too long to finish the build and install in my 70 Chevelle. I don't blame him one bit, he has a family and works long hours. I just want to take this off his plate so he doesn't feel obligated to finish this project... I need an engine builder that can take what we've done and finish it off and install in my Chevelle...

Anyone know of a place that can do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 9:33 PM
Team Member
Dave

Re: Any engine builders in San Antonio, Texas?

I'm not sure that any reputable machine shop would be willing to come in on the middle if a build, regardless of location. What's left to be done?
LeoP likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 1:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
I'm not sure that any reputable machine shop would be willing to come in on the middle if a build, regardless of location. What's left to be done?
+1 for this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace77084 View Post
I'm building a 454 with the help of a buddy of mine. I'm not an engine builder so he was helping me build the engine.. Problem is that it's taking too long to finish the build and install in my 70 Chevelle. I don't blame him one bit, he has a family and works long hours. I just want to take this off his plate so he doesn't feel obligated to finish this project... I need an engine builder that can take what we've done and finish it off and install in my Chevelle...

Anyone know of a place that can do that?
You might consider putting a little more information out there, like pictures of how far along things are, pictures of what the engine is going into, pictures of the engine itself/parts..... Someone on here may be local to you and help you out, but probably would like to know what they are getting into, before they say anything. Right now all we know is the car is a 70 Chevelle...is it stick, automatic, did it have a BB in it before, does it have headers...Because what your asking, is for help to put a "Puzzle" together.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 8:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage

The car is a 70 SS 396 car.... The 454 I have will have headers. At this point we have it pretty much all put together. The intake is not torqued down. I already have all the other parts (Holley double pumper, Headman Headers, all the pullies) water pump is on, harmonic balancer is on.. Hopefully the pictures will tell a better story...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8913.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	603184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8908.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	603186  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 8:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage

It's going in this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8721.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	603188  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 10:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Try Miller's Machine Shop

(210) 684-7722
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 10:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
The car is a 70 SS 396 car.... The 454 I have will have headers. At this point we have it pretty much all put together. The intake is not torqued down. I already have all the other parts (Holley double pumper, Headman Headers, all the pullies) water pump is on, harmonic balancer is on.. Hopefully the pictures will tell a better story...
Have the rocker arms been adjusted ?

It's pretty much ready to install at this point.

I always bolt the trans to the engine and install them together. Do you have an engine hoist ?

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post

I always bolt the trans to the engine and install them together. Do you have an engine hoist ?
The rocker arms have been set but not fully adjusted. From what I understand they get final adjustment when its running...
No I don't have an engine hoist... I have a transmission that a buddy is lending me until I can get a 700R4.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 7:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Ok....that is much better, Now we have an idea of what we are working with. As said above it look's like its close to ready to drop in. Now that we have pretty much eliminated the Machine Shop part of the Question (the engine is together).....The Next Question is (and I don't want to assume anything) Are you unable to finish this because you lack the experience, or ????. Because you are pretty much just left with the bolt together part of things. I would adjust the Valves before I put the engine in the car, but that's just me...If your lacking the "Know How", you should try and ask as specific questions as you can. At the outside your going to need a second person to help you just to be on the safe side. As Beth mentioned...Putting the Engine and Transmission in together is a good way to do this. You are going to need help. As a side note..... YouTube has a lot of Videos...Not all of it will be helpful, but a lot of it will. Just do a search....Intake Manifold Install...Header Install...Distributor Install....You get the idea....and don't just watch one and think that's all there is to it.... If its tools that you are lacking, You can get buy with Harbor Freight stuff, until you can afford better.....

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
Ok....that is much better, Now we have an idea of what we are working with. As said above it look's like its close to ready to drop in. Now that we have pretty much eliminated the Machine Shop part of the Question (the engine is together).....The Next Question is (and I don't want to assume anything) Are you unable to finish this because you lack the experience, or ????. Because you are pretty much just left with the bolt together part of things. I would adjust the Valves before I put the engine in the car, but that's just me...If your lacking the "Know How", you should try and ask as specific questions as you can. At the outside your going to need a second person to help you just to be on the safe side. As Beth mentioned...Putting the Engine and Transmission in together is a good way to do this. You are going to need help. As a side note..... YouTube has a lot of Videos...Not all of it will be helpful, but a lot of it will. Just do a search....Intake Manifold Install...Header Install...Distributor Install....You get the idea....and don't just watch one and think that's all there is to it.... If its tools that you are lacking, You can get buy with Harbor Freight stuff, until you can afford better.....

I don't have the knowledge of finishing off the engine... I know how to install most of the things but don't feel comfortable doing it alone.. I've spent over 4K on this engine for me to wing it and figure it out... That's why I'm looking for some help... Help that I would PAY for their time...

Thanks for your help.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
Try Miller's Machine Shop

(210) 684-7722
Called them and they aren't willing to help me. I told them I'm not looking for a hand out. I'm willing to pay someone... Still said no...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Called them and they aren't willing to help me. I told them I'm not looking for a hand out. I'm willing to pay someone... Still said no...
Do a google search for San Antonio car clubs and see if you can't find some contacts.

Someone familiar with A-bodies (GTO's, Chevelles, Cutlass's, etc) would be perfect

Contact these : CenTex Chevelle Club on Strikingly

Texas Car Clubs
427L88, LeoP and spaceace77084 like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post

Really Beth? In the 67? That beavertail crossmember really messes with the angle of attack I've found. I;d love for someone to tell me it works OK ( as it is easier although requires a tilter) , as the one time I tried, it did not and I really banged up the pan and nearly crushed a brake line.

George, you are past what you need a machine shop for. I sure hope you find some fellow Chevelleheads nearby SA than can lend a hand, one with an cherry picker! If not a "restoration shop" or good mechanics shop should have it done in half a day.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Try these guys:

Gear Grinders - San Antonio - Contact Us

If no luck there then haul it up to my shop in Wimberley about an hour away from ya.
427L88 and LeoP like this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 11:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Really Beth? In the 67? That beavertail crossmember really messes with the angle of attack I've found. I;d love for someone to tell me it works OK ( as it is easier although requires a tilter) , as the one time I tried, it did not and I really banged up the pan and nearly crushed a brake line.
Well this is how I've done it with my Camaro. My 66 Chevelle was 40 years ago when I installed it's 427 so I plead innocent as I don't remember.

Why can't you remove the x-member and slide it back in after the engine-trans is in ?
LeoP likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in