New distributer gear question - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Scott

New distributer gear question

Hello all, new to the board and hoping for some advice, I've spent hours researching this and come up with multiple answers. I have a 468 and I'm installing a Holley Sniper EFI and Hyperspark distributor and ignition. Unfortunately I do not know what the cam is, it has a slight lope to it so it's a guess as to what's in it, it is a hydraulic cam with stock rockers from what I can tell. So my question is about the distributor gear on the new Hyperspark distributor, it comes with a cast gear according to their website, I'm really at a crossroads as to the compatibility with my cam gear. It seems awful dangerous to TRY this and see if it wears good. Any advice is much appreciated as I'm good at mechanics just not experienced enough in this department.

Edit, would I be ok with just putting the gear from my old distributor onto my new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 6:09 PM
Tech Team

Re: New distributer gear question

If your old gear is in good shape, and you have run it, with on problem, and you are worried if the new one will work, just change it to your old one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv 442 View Post
If your old gear is in good shape, and you have run it, with on problem, and you are worried if the new one will work, just change it to your old one.
That's kind of what I was thinking, I've had the gear on my Jeep shred after changing distributors and really don't want to do the same to this one.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

No need to change it.

New distributors from major manufacturers have all been "melonized" (hardened) for years now.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 1:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Unless its a billet solid roller,the gear on the new distributor will be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Scott

Thanks for everyone's replies, looks like I'll run it like it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in