'93 Buick Roadmaster engine/trans - swap into Nova? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 1:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Send a message via AIM to cjensen_68
'93 Buick Roadmaster engine/trans - swap into Nova?

My dad has had this 93 buick roadmaster wagon that runs good. He wants to swap the engine and trans into the nova. Can this be done relatively easy and what all does it take to install the engine with the computer? This wagon was getting about 20/21mpg on the highway and would like to try and keep that. I know I'd have to shorten the driveshaft since it's a 700 trans (I believe, haven't checked numbers). My main concern would be getting the engine hooked up and running with the computer.

Chris
68 Chevelle post: 350/350 daily driver, southern cal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by davewho1; Aug 23rd, 19 at 3:50 AM. Reason: clarified title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 6:57 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: '93 Buick Roadmaster engine/trans - swap into Nova?

I think that is just a "regular" 350. I don't think 93 was the LT1. I am pretty sure that Painless Wiring and probably others make a kit to do what you want to do pretty easily. That would be a neat swap.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Didn't LT1s start out in vettes in 93, then f/b-body in 94?

I actually had to cheat on this one.. Went to autozone.com and looked up a waterpump for a 93 roadmaster. It is a TBI 350, not LT engine, their waterpumps are a little more involved..

You can swap it but might run into some issues. 1993 was the release year for 4L60e transmissions (had a 93 s10 with one). If so, you will have to have the trans hooked up to the computer, then calibrate it if your gears / tire size are different in the nova as the shift points will be off. You will also have to run a higher psi fuel pump for the TBI, it's double what a carb runs, around 13 psi if I remember correctly?

If you wanted to keep the trans the nova has and dump the 350, go for it, top it with a carb and don't look back. The EFI swap is more involved and don't think you'll get the return you're looking for with the TBI setup. It's a lot of work for a little reward.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Send a message via AIM to cjensen_68

Yes the LT1s started around 93 but not in this. It's just a 350 tbi. So how would you calibrate the computer to the correct gears? I think the nova has 2.73 and the wagon had 3.23 posi. Would I need to have the catalytic conv and smog stuff on it or can I remove that and how would I change settings in the computer if I could?

Chris
68 Chevelle post: 350/350 daily driver, southern cal.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 8:49 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen_68 View Post
Yes the LT1s started around 93 but not in this. It's just a 350 tbi. So how would you calibrate the computer to the correct gears? I think the nova has 2.73 and the wagon had 3.23 posi. Would I need to have the catalytic conv and smog stuff on it or can I remove that and how would I change settings in the computer if I could?

Chris,
I think for it to run properly you would want to keep everything that was on the wagon intact. Not sure about programming for the different gears

You might want to ask in the EFI section in the performance forum.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 9:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

93s have PROMs (Programmable Read Only Memory) for their tunes, so it's not so easy to get an tuner or flash the ECM. You'd have to get a chip custom "burned" for your setup. See link below..

I'm a bit rusty on the 93s and hope someone can come along and correct me, but I "think" the 93s had a weird calibration box that went between the ECM and VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that did the gear/tire size calibration? Ah, quick search brings the memories flooding back. It was called a DRAC module and here's info on how to calibrate it.

VSSB DRAC Calibration | Harris Performance, INC

As far as catalytic converters, no, you do not need to keep it on a 93 setup as there's just 1 o2 sensor. You will need to hook the o2 sensor up to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I had a 1994 Caprice with LT1, it was an excellent running car. For what it was, it was quick, great drivability, and great fuel economy (on the highway). It would light up both rears (it had posi, and tow, and hd cooling...) I would recommend that drivetrain all day (I know the optispark has a bad reputation, I had no problems well over 100K miles)
I also test drove a 1993 Caprice ex Cop Car with TBI, ran perfect, but not the same get up and go. It would be an OK swap, great for just drivability, but nothing special.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 1:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

TBI also needs about 16pis fuel pressure, and a fuel return line.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 1:24 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
I had a 1994 Caprice with LT1, it was an excellent running car. For what it was, it was quick, great drivability, and great fuel economy (on the highway). It would light up both rears (it had posi, and tow, and hd cooling...) I would recommend that drivetrain all day (I know the optispark has a bad reputation, I had no problems well over 100K miles)
I also test drove a 1993 Caprice ex Cop Car with TBI, ran perfect, but not the same get up and go. It would be an OK swap, great for just drivability, but nothing special.
I agree with all of this. I had a 94 and 95 SS, i didnt even buy the 95 until it had 140,000 miles on it, and it was really pretty trouble free. i never had an optispark off except to do the seals once behind it. I would love to have that engine in my Monte Carlo, in fact i have one sitting around, but for what its worth, theres a fair amount of work involved (as far as i am concerned) to go this route. The LT1 has sort of run its course, really for the work involved, there are better options. But i still loved that engine stop light to stop light.

I am not the engine guru by any means, but TBI? seems like a lot of work out of the wagon, and into the Nova for kind of a blah engine, imo.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 2:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

The 1993 B-body cars got a throttle body injected 305 or 350 engine with a non-electronic controlled 4L60 (no "e") transmission.

It can easily be converted over to a carbureted engine. This a "normal" gen 1 small block.

Holley offers easy to use aftermarket fuel injection systems that bolt up to the manifold.

The transmission should have a TV cable.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 2:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

The later LT engines were a whole different animal, "gen 2", it's greatest attribute was the reverse cooling, the heads saw coolant from the radiator first, which I thought was brilliant, it supposedly allowed more compression.

It was plagued by ignition system problems because of where the optical pickup and ignition module were located. The Mitsubishi optical sensor and wheel was actually a great idea and today it's still a more accurate way of tracking the engine's rotating position.

The F-body LT1 engines were known to burn out the rear manifold (China) seal because of where the EGR tube was located.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 3:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

And fwiw, the 3 LT variants were all different in power/torque. Vette was highest in both, then F body for HP and B for torque. Also supposedly the iron B heads flowed better then the aluminum ones. But obviously the al is lighter and easier to port. Another problem was exhaust studs breaking off, I think my LT1 had the rearmost drivers side one break, but it never leaked so, no harm no foul type of thing to me!

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 3:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The LT1 motor in my son's 93 Cadillac went bad so I bought a used LT1 off of craigslist.
The guy I bought it from said it came out of a 93 Buick.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 4:34 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Many years ago in a salvage yard I looked at LT1's in old Sheriff cruisers. The man running the yard told me you can spot these by their green coolant hoses. I know the cruisers had green hoses. Not sure if all LT1's had them.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 5:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

The Gen 2 LT1 engine first came in the Corvette in 1992, the Camaro & Firebird in 1993 and B/D-body cars starting in 1994. B-body being Caprice, Impala & Roadmaster and D-body being the Cadillac Fleetwood.

For the first two years of production (1992 & 1993), they were batch fire engines with a non-electronic 4L60 transmission that had a TV cable.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in