'93 Buick Roadmaster engine/trans - swap into Nova? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: '93 Buick Roadmaster engine/trans - swap into Nova?

Being in California, you should check with a Referee station before your final decision, good luck!!
71350SS likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

What year is the Nova? 76 and newer, you'll have to keep all the smog crap to pass inspection. You'll also need a referee inspection and certification. Technically speaking you need to keep it for 75 and older too, but your chances of getting busted are slim with the current laws.
davewho1 likes this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 12:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Yeah, forget the whole thing.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 6:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25C 70 View Post
Many years ago in a salvage yard I looked at LT1's in old Sheriff cruisers. The man running the yard told me you can spot these by their green coolant hoses. I know the cruisers had green hoses. Not sure if all LT1's had them.
That was a 9C1 police car option, not on "normal' cars. But many people added it later as show upgrades.
71350SS likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 3:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Send a message via AIM to cjensen_68

The engine is not an LT1. The Nova is a 1969 so I don't have to bother with the smog crap. Whatever I put in will be better than whats in it. I don't want to spend much on it and we have this buick that my dad's going to get rid of. The car will eventually be my sons and I originally wanted to keep the 6 cyl in it so he can't too crazy with it but it runs like crap and smokes like bob marley. Changing the gear ratio with that other link earlier seams easy enough. I don't have the car here to look at it to see if it's a computer controlled trans.

Would I be able to remove all the smog equipment and not have to touch the computer?

If I went another route and put a carb on it, what else would I have to change besides maybe a 3/8" fuel line assuming the trans is a non computer controlled one? I also have 2 turbo 350s in the garage I can use if need be.

Chris
68 Chevelle post: 350/350 daily driver, southern cal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 4:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen_68 View Post
The engine is not an LT1. The Nova is a 1969 so I don't have to bother with the smog crap.

It's a good old small block Chevy. Get a carb intake manifold and a carb and you'll be good. The transmission is not electronic.

Consider a Holley Sniper of Fitech GoPro to make it start and run like a modern car.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 4:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25C 70 View Post
Many years ago in a salvage yard I looked at LT1's in old Sheriff cruisers. The man running the yard told me you can spot these by their green coolant hoses. I know the cruisers had green hoses. Not sure if all LT1's had them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
That was a 9C1 police car option, not on "normal' cars. But many people added it later as show upgrades.
Agreed def not on standard passenger cars but if you do find a car with those hoses check them for condition and if they look OK grab them.Those hoses last like crazy and there is usually little wear if any on the used hoses.The only thing I don't like is that weird color.I think they have some kind of silicon construction or something.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 6:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Agreed def not on standard passenger cars but if you do find a car with those hoses check them for condition and if they look OK grab them.Those hoses last like crazy and there is usually little wear if any on the used hoses.The only thing I don't like is that weird color.I think they have some kind of silicon construction or something.
Just a note here, My 95 Z28 Camaro (LT1) has just regular looking hoses. The car has 285000 miles on it and still has all the original hoses on it and they all look fine and aren't soft and squishy like some get.

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 19, 7:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
...The only thing I don't like is that weird color.I think they have some kind of silicon construction or something.
Yes they are silicone, the mustang guys grab cop hoses as well for the bling factor from 5.0 cop cars.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 19, 4:20 AM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen_68 View Post
My dad has had this 93 buick roadmaster wagon that runs good.
Is this a 5.7L or a 5.0L? The 5.0 was way more common overall, but wagons could have the 5.7L which was a nice bonus.

If this is a 5.7/350, I used the service-replacment crate engine for that application in my K1500 for almost twenty years.

Roller cam, two-bolt main, windage tray, high-volume oil pump. Cast crank, powdered-metal rods, single-roller timing chain, and hyper flattop pistons. Of course, one-piece rear main so it needs the special flywheel/flexplate for one-piece seal crank. And the roller cam is unbelievably mild. (But so was the stock flat-tappet cam in the original engine.)

The production engine may not have some of the features that the service-replacement engine has--powdered metal rods, and single-roller timing chain for example.

Ran flawlessly on the stock K1500 computer and wiring. The B-body engine has flattop instead of dish pistons, roller cam instead of flat-tappet, but the stock computer handled it just fine. I didn't get the power increase I was hoping for, but it was slightly better, along with the same or slightly better fuel economy. I installed Edelbrock emissions-legal "headers", a high-flow catalyst, and a Flowmaster cat-back system at the same time as the engine was installed.

You'll want to keep the entire wire harness for the engine, including the computer. If your gear ratio is different from the donor car, I expect you'll need to have a PROM burned

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in