Upset beyond belief - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:48 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Upset beyond belief

I changed the o-ring on the th400 dipstick tube. While attempting to put the trans bolt back in that secures the tube, I fumbled the bolt down on top of the transmission case. I have been looking for that bolt for over an hour and have still not found it. I can't believe it. The garage floor is clean and the bolt is not there. The bolt washer managed to fall off and land on the floor. I have been working on cars for 40 years and have had this entire car apart. I have dropped many bolts over the years, but have never lost a bolt this big. Where might it be? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 9:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: Upset beyond belief

Crossmember.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 19, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Check to see if it is wedged between the transmission case the dipstick tube. If the transmission cooler lines are installed, check there, too. If you have headers, I would check on top of the collector area.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 4:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

mom and dad had a 2003 Suburban, Waaaay back years ago when it was fairly new they lost the LS-5.3liter oil cap at a gas station. Fast foward 15 years later I found the original cap on a crossmember up front!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 6:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

See if you can pass a magnet up around areas you cannot see.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 6:28 AM
Senior Tech Team

My guess, wedged between the trans and the floor lip that connects the firewall to the floor pan. It sticks down, I don't know, 3/4-1" and will catch anything.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 7:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

When something doesn't hit the floor and I can't find it, first thing I do is grab my extendable air nozzle and start spraying every way I can in hopes of dislodging the bolt. Do you have longtubes? Top of the collector or wedges in the primaries? Flat spot on the trans case? Any wires, ground straps, or vacuum lines in the area?

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 8:24 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

The good news! It did not disappear. Think like gravity.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 9:00 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Just take another one out and go buy one to match it.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 9:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Sometimes I'll take a similar bolt and drop it in a similar manner and watch where it goes as it falls. A lot of times it will land right next to the one you're looking for. Sounds dumb but it does work.
SSJohn likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Update on missing bolt. Thanks for all the help with your ideas! I really appreciate it. I had enough last night and went to sleep to get a fresh start this morning. I thought maybe it was against the vent tube, but I didn't see it there either. As mysteriously as the bolt disappeared, it suddenly reappeared. I used a long piece of coat hanger and asked the good lord for help and patience. The second I started to fish it up on the right side of the trans case, my wife came into the garage to ask how it was going? I started to remove the hanger to show her a similar bolt on the workbench and the bolt mysteriously dropped out of an unknown location. I really don't care at this point where it was hiding, all is good and back together. Thanks again for all the help. Steve
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 10:24 AM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68elky396 View Post
Update on missing bolt. Thanks for all the help with your ideas! I really appreciate it. I had enough last night and went to sleep to get a fresh start this morning. I thought maybe it was against the vent tube, but I didn't see it there either. As mysteriously as the bolt disappeared, it suddenly reappeared. I used a long piece of coat hanger and asked the good lord for help and patience. The second I started to fish it up on the right side of the trans case, my wife came into the garage to ask how it was going? I started to remove the hanger to show her a similar bolt on the workbench and the bolt mysteriously dropped out of an unknown location. I really don't care at this point where it was hiding, all is good and back together. Thanks again for all the help. Steve
I have the Flexible Claw Grabber Pickup Tool Long Reach Curve Spring Grip Tool, and the flexible magnet grabber pickup tool long reach. Very cheap on Amazon, and I have used them many, many times to save me, ie, grab a carb. bleed that I dropped in the carb., grab screws that I dropped in the back of the air gap manifold, grab screws or nuts that are stuck in the headers, --- or even grab socks that fell in back of the washer and dryer. They have put a smile on my face many times through the years and are officially "life savers". I could not see having to live without them.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 10:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Had something similar happen last weekend. I was working on my headlights and dropped one of tiny retaining ring screws; couldn’t find it for the life of me. Pulled out the air hose & nozzle and blasted away behind the bumper, under the frame, etc. Lo and behold, the little devil popped out onto the floor!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

It's happened to every one of us who has ever worked on cars. Except on TV... those guys on all the Motor Trend shows (Garage Squad, Graveyard cars, etc) never seem to waste an hour looking for bolts that have disappeared into inconvenient places.
goatless likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Yes, the flexible claw grabber tool is a must. It as saved me many times over the decades. I do however, need to buy a new one since mine had finally broke last summer. I will also invest in a good flexible magnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in