13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 12:23 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: Upset beyond belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68elky396 View Post
Yes, the flexible claw grabber tool is a must. It as saved me many times over the decades. I do however, need to buy a new one since mine had finally broke last summer. I will also invest in a good flexible magnet.
Yea, the magnet version is also indispensable. I have dropped carb. washers, screws, etc... in the air gap manifold, then, without visual access, just fish the magnet version through the front of the manifold and out comes the screw or washer -- instant smile.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 1:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Well, without a doubt, it's either in the last place you looked or on the magnet of your drop light. Glad the bolt emerged and you're back to work!

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 1:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

So where the hell are all of my 10mm sockets? I've used magnets and grabbers to no avail.

O'Reilly's has a package of 8 different 10mm sockets, everything from very deep to small with a couple of swivels thrown in. Now that I have an abundance of 'em, I don't often need one...

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 1:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
So where the hell are all of my 10mm sockets? I've used magnets and grabbers to no avail.

O'Reilly's has a package of 8 different 10mm sockets, everything from very deep to small with a couple of swivels thrown in. Now that I have an abundance of 'em, I don't often need one...
I know where I almost lost one (well a 3/8")!
Putting the O2 sensor in my drivers side down pipe for my FiTech setup. I drilled the hole, and was mounting the clamp on bung with 2 large stainless hose clamps. I was using a nut driver handle and socket on them instead of fighting to keep a screwdriver in the slot.

And it was slightly off of being lined up good, so I used the nut driver handle in the hole in the bung, and exhaust pipe to waggle it around, and pop, off came the socket into the exhaust pipe. I was using a tiny reach magnet fighting the steel pipe it was in, and finally got it. It actually went the other way and was up the slope of the pipe about 2" towards the manifold. Next attempt would have been the shop vac over the hole. That is also good for getting lost parts.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 1:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
It's happened to every one of us who has ever worked on cars. Except on TV... those guys on all the Motor Trend shows (Garage Squad, Graveyard cars, etc) never seem to waste an hour looking for bolts that have disappeared into inconvenient places.
....or the wrench that's been in your back pocket this WHOLE DAMN TIME.
DUKE 69, novadude and Tophog like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 1:58 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68elky396 View Post
Update on missing bolt.......I used a long piece of coat hanger and asked the good lord for help and patience.....Thanks again for all the help. Steve
You asked, and you received.

67 Chevelle SS:
original paint, M20, & 3:31 posi.
Unrestored, but dreaming of doing so
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 2:37 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
I was going to say the same thing. My travel tool set is missing both 10mm. I'm living on the edge everyday i take that somewhere.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 3:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

I had too......................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt drop.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	600762  
1775SS likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 4:11 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
I was going to say the same thing. My travel tool set is missing both 10mm. I'm living on the edge everyday i take that somewhere.
10mm, 3/8", 1/2", 9/16" -- they might as well have legs on them.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 5:15 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I remember trying to remove a molding clip. It wouldn't budge, then all of the sudden it came loose and went flying into the hosta bushes beside the driveway. Gone. At least I found the socket. It did persuade me to purchase a magnet on a stick that looks like a push broom. Works mint.

Sometimes stepping away for a while & returning to work on it later is very productive. I can remember fretting over a problem at work for 2 hours one evening. I went home & slept on it; next day I walked in & fixed it within 10 minutes.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in