350 Power Steering Belt/Pump Please Help! - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

350 Power Steering Belt/Pump Please Help!

Good morning. I have a 1971 Chevelle with a "rebuilt" 350 Vortec Engine from an 87 S10 truck... The power steering belt literally sits atop the power steering pump causing friction. Needless to say two belts have popped. When they rebuilt the motor is it possible that they put the power steering pump in the wrong place or perhaps the engine bay is narrower than the S10 so they moved it closer? How can I remedy this problem. I am open to all solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 11:56 AM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: 350 Power Steering Belt/Pump Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Pep's 71 View Post
Good morning. I have a 1971 Chevelle with a "rebuilt" 350 Vortec Engine from an 87 S10 truck... The power steering belt literally sits atop the power steering pump causing friction. Needless to say two belts have popped. When they rebuilt the motor is it possible that they put the power steering pump in the wrong place or perhaps the engine bay is narrower than the S10 so they moved it closer? How can I remedy this problem. I am open to all solutions.
If you have enough adjustment, maybe a longer belt will help move some of the accessories out of the way ?
C-Pep's 71 likes this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 12:14 PM
Tech Team
David

Forum rules; Pics or it didn't happen.

later, dozer
C-Pep's 71 likes this.

"Look Stock and carry a Big Block"
Raube Wan

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Got pictures?
C-Pep's 71 likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 3:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

Dutch Max Headwork, Dozerhand. Below are the pics. Please forgive me as I'm a novice to this. It's actually the power steering belt rubbing up against the gear box, not the power steering box. The belt rubs up against the gear box bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_135701.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	598940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_135441.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	598942   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_135601.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	598946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_135706.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	598948  

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 3:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Now you have me scratching my head. It looks like the belt is running upside down in the grooves. Is this how you are running your belt? If you flip it over so it runs in the grooves correctly then adjust the power steering will it still hit the box? If so adjust your belt length to a size or two larger or smaller according to need. Take you belt to the to parts store and have them find a size that will work. I'm going to suggest Napa as their parts men are not as retarded as those from other parts outlets.

It also looks like you are missing the top bracket and adjustment bolt on the pump. You might have to figure out a way to get support there so you can maintain belt tension.

Pop a picture farther out so we can see the front of the engine and how/where the steer pump is mounted.
B52bombardier1 likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 4:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Belt is on upside down.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
David

In the second pic, the bracket looks like it's about an inch or more past the bolt that should hold it down. Either it's the wrong bracket or it's not mounted to the front of the engine correctly. You need to find someone who has a similar combination and have a look. I can show you pics of mine but it's a big block.
EDIT: Yup, I'm betting it's the wrong pump bracket. Picture below is of a '72 power steering pump.

later, dozer

p.s. notice how I shamelessly bragged about having a big block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tff-6508a_xl.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	598952  
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Raube Wan

Last edited by dozerhand; Jul 23rd, 19 at 4:59 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Got pictures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Now you have me scratching my head. It looks like the belt is running upside down in the grooves. Is this how you are running your belt? If you flip it over so it runs in the grooves correctly then adjust the power steering will it still hit the box? If so adjust your belt length to a size or two larger or smaller according to need. Take you belt to the to parts store and have them find a size that will work. I'm going to suggest Napa as their parts men are not as retarded as those from other parts outlets.

It also looks like you are missing the top bracket and adjustment bolt on the pump. You might have to figure out a way to get support there so you can maintain belt tension.

Pop a picture farther out so we can see the front of the engine and how/where the steer pump is mounted.

I was just holding the belt on the pully to show how close/how it rubs on the gear box. The belt is always correctly placed on the pully but after the constant friction it pops. Sorry for the delayed response. The site kicked me out and wouldn't let me back in.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 9:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Belt is on upside down.

I was just holding the belt on the pully to show how close/how it rubs on the gear box. The belt is always correctly placed on the pully but after the constant friction it pops.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 9:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerhand View Post
In the second pic, the bracket looks like it's about an inch or more past the bolt that should hold it down. Either it's the wrong bracket or it's not mounted to the front of the engine correctly. You need to find someone who has a similar combination and have a look. I can show you pics of mine but it's a big block.
EDIT: Yup, I'm betting it's the wrong pump bracket. Picture below is of a '72 power steering pump.

later, dozer

p.s. notice how I shamelessly bragged about having a big block

I swung by a mechanic today and he immediately knew what I was talking about and had seen it before. He said he would check to see if he has a bracket in the shop or that he would have to make one. Nice way to plug in about that BIG BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 1:45 PM
Tech Team
David

Who installed the engine? Seems it should be their responsibility to make it right. If you put it in certainly you have the ability to chase down and install the correct bracket.

later, dozer
C-Pep's 71 likes this.

Raube Wan
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 4:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

OK so the brackets leave the belt and pulley too close to the P/S box.There is a simple fix that works.Get your floor jack and a wood block that you trust.Jack the left side motor mount up and remove the MM bolts temporarily, now get a couple of 1/8" thick washers and put them under the motor mount then re-install the MM. This will lift the L/S of the engine that same amount so now check how much clearance you gained as you may have to double the washers to move the pulley away a little more.
C-Pep's 71 likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 9:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerhand View Post
Who installed the engine? Seems it should be their responsibility to make it right. If you put it in certainly you have the ability to chase down and install the correct bracket.

later, dozer

Dozer, the engine was truthfully a back yard rebuild (nothing wrong with that if the mechanic knows what he is doing) and has had two owners prior to me purchasing the car. Unfortunately when you buy someone else's car, you buy their headache with any shoddy repairs that comes with it. I do agree that he should have know or seen that the bracket was incorrect.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 9:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
OK so the brackets leave the belt and pulley too close to the P/S box.There is a simple fix that works.Get your floor jack and a wood block that you trust.Jack the left side motor mount up and remove the MM bolts temporarily, now get a couple of 1/8" thick washers and put them under the motor mount then re-install the MM. This will lift the L/S of the engine that same amount so now check how much clearance you gained as you may have to double the washers to move the pulley away a little more.

71350SS: Thanks for your help!!!!!! I've heard that this is a fairly common problem and that by lifting the MM it will correct the problem. I've spoken with the mechanic and will keep you posted on the outcome.
71350SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in