Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldcutlass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 3:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

BBC Intake Manifold match up to heads

I need a quick lesson on the intake side of Iron heads matching up with the intake manifold.

I have a 1997 NOS 502 HO, without the original intake. The intake offered to me by the local Performance shop is the 7163 Edlebrock, the cooling ports in the center don't make sense to me, hoping someone can explain the 'why' and maybe I got the wrong intake?

The gasket covers the two odd shaped areas, top and bottom, and a small diameter hole in the center of the port am I to guess I need to cut this to match the square port? The top is covered only by the gasket once the intake is put in place. ( is it enough to block 15psi of coolant?) Sorry for the babbling talk, hope it makes sense.

Pictures attached, see the area marked up in red.

Thanks!
Best regards
Jules
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	502 HO 1997  block cast no 10237300.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	598420   Click image for larger version

Name:	top view 7163.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	598422   Click image for larger version

Name:	port view left.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	598424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gasket dryfit placement.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	598426  

Name:	intake dry fit.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	598432  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: BBC Intake Manifold match up to heads

Don't worry about the 2 odd shaped areas casted around the port. Do not open the crossover port, in fact the gasket kit comes with 2 metal plates you should use to block it off. Read the installation instructions carefully, get a can of Gasgacinch, and a tube of the Right Stuff gasket maker for the front and rear walls. Throw away the rubber end seals.
427L88 likes this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:22 PM
Tech Team
Harry

That middle square hole with the canyons around it is for heating up the intake manifold on startup. It allows the warm air to rise up and heat up the intake manifold. This is to allow the car to warm up faster. A lot of aftermarket manifolds do not have holes for this warm up. Take a look at my RPM Air Gap manifold, you will see that those middle holes with the canyons around it are totally ignored. All those pictures you posted look normal to me. Here are some pics from when I installed my air gap manifold that can help you. With the air gap, you can even see the "canyons" on the head after installation. The canyons are bigger than the gasket and even the air gap manifold.

Here you can see the "canyon" not covered by the gasket nor the air gap manifold. This is normal.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:27 PM
Tech Team

Ya, I always block the heat passages off on BB heads. Funny, I have 2 of the factory 163 intakes from the newer BBC's ported one and the other is on the shelf. They were the same for 454HO and 502HO. Still one of the best dual plane intakes out there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 5:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

just so you're clear those are heat riser ports and they intersect with the exhaust port. on factory vehicles this era exhaust flowed from one side to the other to quickly heat the intake for quicker warm ups in cold weather. a thermostatic spring in the heat riser valve on the right exh manifold closed when cold and forced exh to flow from one side to the other and gradually opened during warm up where as cross flow of the exhaust stopped. the heated manifold is also important to divorced choke operation. now after I said all that you should block the heat passages unless youre driving the car in very cold conditions. either use the thin stainless block off plates that come with factory replacement gaskets or cut your own out of .030 material and using hi temp rtv glue them on the head side of the gasket. use the gasket for a template to cut the plates.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 5:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Don't worry about the 2 odd shaped areas casted around the port. Do not open the crossover port, in fact the gasket kit comes with 2 metal plates you should use to block it off. Read the installation instructions carefully, get a can of Gasgacinch, and a tube of the Right Stuff gasket maker for the front and rear walls. Throw away the rubber end seals.
I will look into this kit, I didn't get any metal plates. Got the Gasgacinch 9300 and Dynatex blue RTV silicone (chuck the rubber). Thanks!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
just so you're clear those are heat riser ports and they intersect with the exhaust port. on factory vehicles this era exhaust flowed from one side to the other to quickly heat the intake for quicker warm ups in cold weather. a thermostatic spring in the heat riser valve on the right exh manifold closed when cold and forced exh to flow from one side to the other and gradually opened during warm up where as cross flow of the exhaust stopped. the heated manifold is also important to divorced choke operation. now after I said all that you should block the heat passages unless youre driving the car in very cold conditions. either use the thin stainless block off plates that come with factory replacement gaskets or cut your own out of .030 material and using hi temp rtv glue them on the head side of the gasket. use the gasket for a template to cut the plates.
Awesome, thank you for the clarification and helping a newbie! I was a little embarrassed to ask but everyone here is more than generous and very kind.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

These are the metal plates to block the heat riser ports I'm guessing. Thanks again!

MRG108, BB CHEVY INTAKE GASKET - Performance Unlimited
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mr Gasket BBC kit.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	598450  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 8:41 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

I have never heard of that brand blue silicon but I would use nothing but either the "Right Stuff" or Permatex Ultra Grey or Ultra Black on the end rails. You can also put a very light bead around the water ports on the heads. You really should not need Gasgacinch on a Chevy intake gasket.

I think this is the gasket you have ? That will work fine

https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/1211/10002/-1

Thats my 2 cents

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 7:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I have never heard of that brand blue silicon but I would use nothing but either the "Right Stuff" or Permatex Ultra Grey or Ultra Black on the end rails. You can also put a very light bead around the water ports on the heads. You really should not need Gasgacinch on a Chevy intake gasket.

I think this is the gasket you have ? That will work fine

https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/1211/10002/-1

Thats my 2 cents

This is the one that came as a kit with the intake from Jegs... https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/210101/10002/-1
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 8:26 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymalibubu72 View Post
This is the one that came as a kit with the intake from Jegs... https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/210101/10002/-1

That will be ok. I prefer Fel Pro but the Mr Gasket ones with the printed seal are good too.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Yes Jules, those are the plates in the pic you posted. Block off plates.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 19, 2:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymalibubu72 View Post
...The gasket covers the two odd shaped areas, top and bottom, a... is it enough to block 15psi of coolant?
Jules,

Didn't see it mentioned, but those odd-shaped "canyons" are NOT coolant passages... they are just dead space ( they aren't that deep)...

As mentioned, the center is the exhaust cross-over...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in