1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott Scheffer

Test lifter for push rod length check?

Hi all,
I'm testing for push rod length on a gen 1 350 with Vortec heads and retrofit hydraulic roller cam and lifters. I've read in a couple places that you can substitute a solid lifter so that you don't get a false reading due to the hydraulic lifter compressing as you're tightening down the rocker. Is that true? What kind of lifter do I use? I already replaced the springs with weak test springs. Might that be enough to get a good reading?
Also, if I want to use push rods that aren't a custom size, how much in thousands can I move up or down in length without compromising too much on performance?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Test lifter for push rod length check?

For flat tappet hydraulic cams, I have two test lifters that have their guts removed, and a solid spacer inserted to keep the button down about .030 in the lifter. I also have done the same for hydraulic roller cams. I always do the push rod lengths with the engine on the build stand, and no intake manifold in place, E-O, I-C method and a rocker arm tool as well.

I am big on making my own tools, and have the machines to make them, but modifying a pair of lifters to set the button correctly isn't that hard to do.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:20 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottscheffer55 View Post
I already replaced the springs with weak test springs. Might that be enough to get a good reading?

That is all you need to do.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 9:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

If you have new dry lifters test springs will easily compress the lifters. Stick with the solids

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 10:48 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
If you have new dry lifters test springs will easily compress the lifters. Stick with the solids

Vince,

Not sure what test springs you use but the ones I have will not collapse a new, dry lifter. If the intake is off you can watch it anyway to see if the plunger is moving. Worse case put the lifter in a can of oil and pump it up.

The big problem with using any lifter other than the exact one you plan on having in the engine is that pushrod seat heights vary all over the place. Especially between hydraulic and solid lifters. Probably should not be that way but it is a fact of life

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 5:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Vince,

Not sure what test springs you use but the ones I have will not collapse a new, dry lifter. If the intake is off you can watch it anyway to see if the plunger is moving. Worse case put the lifter in a can of oil and pump it up.

The big problem with using any lifter other than the exact one you plan on having in the engine is that pushrod seat heights vary all over the place. Especially between hydraulic and solid lifters. Probably should not be that way but it is a fact of life
I just use regular checking springs I think from comp and they will compress a dry lifter especially when turning the engine over. This is where you have to be careful as you will show false piston/valve clearance.

As far as lifter height affecting pushrod length - Shouldnít really matter when checking piston to valve clearance. Now for geometry- that would make a difference.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 7:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Vince,

Same for the Isky checking springs I have from 1969/70 time frame.

I've always wondered why this hasn't been mentioned before!
This!

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

If solid lifters are used to check a hydraulic cam, make sure the push rod button height in both the solid, and hydraulic lifters are sitting the same height from the lifter to lobe face. Some solids have buttons sitting lower in the lifter, and if those are unknowingly used, the push rod will end up the wrong length.
David Bates likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in