Team Chevelle banner

differnt style piston wrist pins

554 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave Ray 
#1 ·
I bought a 454 for a couple hundred dollar.Didnt know anything about it but saw forged sealed power in the short block.Still had the pan on it so didn't see anything else.When I took it apart it had a h-beam rod and the sealed power pistons didn't have provisions for a spiral lock.They had a wristpin that would float but had some kind of aluminum slugs on the end of the wrist pins.They aren't locked in by any kind of lock just look like the cylinder wall keeps them from coming out.My question would be is this any good and can you put any power to a setup like this.Im planning on boosting it to 550-600hp and just haven't seen this kind of setup before..Opinion are welcome..thanks in advance.Will try and get some pics if I can get them downloaded on here..

#2 ·
#4 ·
These were fairly common for some time when the wive's tale about pistons with rings that ran through the pin bore using an inordinate amount of oil. Once that was disproven, they kinda went away.

#6 ·
When I rebuilt my Quincy 310, it had buttons like that. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I think that the compressor was a record of Change like 14. The older gentleman from Quincy said that it was older than the records that he had for that model, but that it was probably built between 1948 and 1951. The high pressure wrist pin bore in the piston was worn out which caused a knock, which from everything I have read is common. Long story short, there was no abnormal wear in the cylinder from the buttons. I had a machinist check it out, and all he ended up doing was a light hone because I was putting in new rings. The original cross hatching was still visible when I took it apart. There is no telling how many hours of use were on that compressor. It came out of my dad’s farm shop that the old man he bought it from had left. That guy had bought it from a guy that was basically a traveling salesmen that stopped by the shop one day.

#7 ·
These buttons are not long lived, they are usually put into engines that get taken apart fairly often, where new buttons can be installed. There are both aluminum, and teflon buttons available. They aren't for street use. A good machinist can cut Spiroloc square grooves in the wrist pin bosses to use a long life lock instead of a button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.