"Square" Engine Practical ?? - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

"Square" Engine Practical ??

This is just out of curiosity, not looking to build one.

At some point in the past, I read an article about "square" engines. I only remember it due to them being named as such. If your not familiar with the term, if I remember correctly, a square engine is where the bore and the stroke are the same?

I believe the article alluded to, that these engines can rev much quicker then those with the more common bore to stroke dimensions. So, are such engines practical on the street? Or, are they more at home on a track?
In my mind, an engine that can rev quicker would be at an advantage on road courses, autocross tracks, and maybe even on the street, since theoretically, said vehicle should be able to increase their speed at a quicker rate then their competition running the more common engine bore to stroke differences, with all else being equal?

Am I missing something? I've searched google for "square engines", but I am not getting anything. Anyone know where I can read up on these engines? Maybe using the term square is not correct?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 12:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Re: "Square" Engine Practical ??

Not even close to being true. A 302 has a four inch bore and three inch stroke. Increase the stroke to four inches and you would have a stone. A stone with lots of torque, but still a stone.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 12:55 AM
Clint

Lots of 4" squared LS engines are out there. They are hardly stones.
Bill70 and BillsCamino like this.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 1:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I don't think square has any magic to it. Been said many times, its all about the combo

Personally I like big bore, short stroke engines. But I also like road racing that sustains RPM's.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 1:50 AM
Tech Team

My 489 is effectively square.... 4.28x4.25 sbc runs great! Revs quickly. I can say a stock 454 does well with a decent cam too.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 6:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

My 513 CI BBC is pretty much square too,4.32 in. bore X 4.375 in. stroke.
Mike Lewis picked out the rotating assembly,heads & cam.
It works real nice and revs pretty darn quick.
The guy's at the dyno were impressed !!
As has been said many times,it's all in the combo.
Guy

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:31 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Square, overbore, oversquare ( tractors). other than low speed TQ ( oversquare). and spooling up turbos ( overbore ) it not all that relevant anymore.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'm having a short block built now that's 4.28" bore & 4.25" stroke= 489, rotating ass. from Mike Lewis and I hope it's no stone lol, It's proven it's all about the combo but I wonder how a 4.25X4.25 with the right combo would run?

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 7:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I'm having a short block built now that's 4.28" bore & 4.25" stroke= 489, rotating ass. from Mike Lewis and I hope it's no stone lol, It's proven it's all about the combo but I wonder how a 4.25X4.25 with the right combo would run?
I wouldn't worry about it too much,Mike knows how to pick out parts that will work just fine.
He can help with camshaft selection too,the UDHarold custom grind that him and Tim at Bullet picked out for me works great !!
Guy
shovelrick likes this.

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:56 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

The manufacturers have exploited the bore to stroke ratios for the best compromise between performance and economy. Those configurations, while not necessarily perfect, would be hard to improve upon significantly. As others have said, itís about optimizing an existing configuration, the combination.

The only reason you would worry about the bore to stroke ratio would be for a special performance in a formula that is maybe displacement limited or a road race car, or top end performance application. When you build something like that you are making compromises in other areas of the horsepower and torque curve.
GuysMonteSS likes this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 1:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Appreciate ya'll. I can get around on the outside of the block, but everything inside is all voodoo to me. I get it's all in getting the right combo, cam lift, etc. I'm just being curious. I'll sit back now and just let all you knowledgable people discuss this and we'll see what I can learn.

Thanks folks, and have a blessed day.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 3:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Not even close to being true. A 302 has a four inch bore and three inch stroke. Increase the stroke to four inches and you would have a stone. A stone with lots of torque, but still a stone.
Lot's of 496 inch Rats out there that are far from being "stones".

If you put a 4 inch stroke in a 302, it would have the potential to make quite a bit more power than the original, just at a different RPM. Of course, component matching, particuarilly in the heads and cam, would be very important.
GuysMonteSS likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:05 PM
Gold Founding Member

"Square" means nothing in itself.

Restricting the bore size also restricts the valve size, and therefore the port size. Restricted valve/port breathing tends to shift the power band lower in the RPM range.

Similarly, a longer stroke and smaller bore tends to increase average and peak piston speed for a given RPM, which also tends to reduce max RPM as the stresses on the bottom-end increase compared to a short-stroke, big-bore engine.

Long-stroke engines are "what you can do" to increase displacement in engine blocks that don't have enough cylinder-wall thickness to accept massive overbores.

So, for example, the tight bore spacing on the Oldsmobile V-8 limits the bore size while keeping 360-degree coolant around the cylinders. Therefore the 455 Olds has a 4 125 bore, and a 4.25 stroke. A Buick 455 has much larger bore spacing, so it's got a 4.31 bore and 3.90 stroke. But both engines have small ports and valves, so both engines are known for low-speed torque. It's the valves and porting that determines the power band speed.

And the Caddy 500 has a nearly-square B 'n' S, at 4.300 bore, 4.304 stroke, but nobody would call it a fast-revver.
Alan F and 427L88 like this.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 19, 8:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

One of the rags did a few tests several years ago with several different configurations - long stroke/small bore, square, and short stroke/big bore. While none was truly optimized to take advantage of its particular configuration, the conclusion is that cubes is cubes. The expanding gasses act longer on the long stroke but the size of the piston top provided more cubic inches for that charge to act on.

I like short stroke/big bore for stronger crankshafts (thanks to more journal overlap) and better breathing characteristics of the big bore. I've seen some long stroke engines rev like crazy, though...

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 19, 8:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

I bet my 565 revved quicker than a lot of square engines and was 4.6 bore with a 4.25 crank. And it still went to 7800 in the lights. So we can squash the big blocks canít go past 6000 theory too while weíre at it.
Busted Knuckles likes this.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in