"Square" Engine Practical ?? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: "Square" Engine Practical ??

325 HP 396's aint so mighty chief! THAT was my point. 327s had it all over them. Not a "square bore" issue in the least. The real point.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

396's small bore shrouds valves badly. Once the 4.25" bore blocks came out, everything changed.
427L88 likes this.

Gary Adrian
Organized people are just too lazy to look for their stuff...
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:11 PM
Tech Team

Nuttin changed 😁

See here.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXehT...fauxfullscreen

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I know of a 4.25" stroke "square" engine that made a tick over 800 HP at the crank and runs high 9's on pump gas.
FWIW...
Pat_McNeil likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:58 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I know of a 4.25" stroke "square" engine that made a tick over 800 HP at the crank and runs high 9's on pump gas.
FWIW...
That would be 482 CID,
well under 2 HP/CI
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 9:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Are we talking about street cars, or track dedicated cars?

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

Are we talking about street cars, or track dedicated cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bluebu View Post

Original post

This is just out of curiosity, not looking to build one.

At some point in the past, I read an article about "square" engines. I only remember it due to them being named as such. If your not familiar with the term, if I remember correctly, a square engine is where the bore and the stroke are the same?

I believe the article alluded to, that these engines can rev much quicker then those with the more common bore to stroke dimensions. So, are such engines practical on the street? Or, are they more at home on a track?
In my mind, an engine that can rev quicker would be at an advantage on road courses, autocross tracks, and maybe even on the street, since theoretically, said vehicle should be able to increase their speed at a quicker rate then their competition running the more common engine bore to stroke differences, with all else being equal?

Am I missing something? I've searched google for "square engines", but I am not getting anything. Anyone know where I can read up on these engines? Maybe using the term square is not correct?

Thank you in advance.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in