47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
New Engine Problems

I have a brand new 496 that was built by a local trusted and long time engine shop. Everything on this engine is brand new except the donor block (checked good) and the water pump which is almost new and removed from my 396.
Have only driven my 69 three times with this new engine. For a total of about 50 miles. Hasn't been running too good. Problem number 1 is it is running rich, stumbles and hard starting. Problem number two is I get cloud of white smoke on start up.
It is beginning to look like I have a blown head gasket. On Saturday I was underneath dealing with a starter (also brand new) and wiring issue and I noticed antifreeze dripping off the right header. Was wondering where that was coming from as I couldn't see anything leaking from the water pump or radiator.
Just came back from the builder where I dropped off the brand new Holley 850 Brawler carburetor so they can check if it has debris in a needle/ seat etc. If an effort to tackle the running rich. In talking with one of the builders and telling him my symptoms he was leaning towards this engine have a blown head gasket. I got the impression he was suggesting the blown head gasket ( if that is the issue) is somehow my fault. He ask me if I overheated the engine, which I did not. He then asked me if I burped the cooling system during installation and I said I did not. I filled the rad and engine with a 50/50/ mix of antifreeze during installation and at no time has the temp ever gone above 200 degrees.
So later this week I am supposed to pick up the carburetor and next Monday I am supposed to take my 69 to the engine shop so they can see what the issue is. This engine shop is about a 40 mile ride. Will I cause more damage driving it there if it does have a blown head gasket. Should I flat. bed it there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 2:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: New Engine Problems

Just my .02 cents, I’d trailer the car back to the “local trusted shop” and let them diagnose. If the head gasket is blown you really don’t want to continue driving the car, which could give the shop an easy way to back out of not covering any implied warranty on the build, assuming there is one?

What year block and what heads? What style cooling system?

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 3:00 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The block is/was a 74 two bolt main 454 from an Impala. The heads are Brodix Race Rites and the cooling ststem is an Alumitech radiator, clutch fan, standard long water pump.
fr8dog likes this.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 3:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

If it has a blown head gasket I would not drive it there. You might not make it or do more damage. Engine oil should be changed before next fire up after the gasket is replaced.

One method to avoid burping hassles is drill a 3/16 hole in thermostat. Then fill the rad until the level stabilizes. This method allows the block to fill with coolant and is least messy. Start the car up and watch for or feel the upper radiator hose for heat then recheck the level. You may loose some fluid out of the cap due to expansion but usually you still need to add coolant.

Another method is fill the block with coolant through the removed thermostat housing until full, then install the housing, then top off the rad leaving it a little low to compensate for some expansion. As long as there is enough fluid covering the lower rad hose outlet you are good to go. Fire it up and add coolant after the thermostat opens. Normally I'll leave the cap off so I can see when the coolant level drops or begins to move, then top off.

There's probably a thousand ways to do this. These methods work for me.
427L88, fr8dog, hydro462 and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 4:02 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post

One method to avoid burping hassles is drill a 3/16 hole in thermostat. Then fill the rad until the level stabilizes.
The thermostat I used had a predrilled hole in it. Also I recall after filling the rad and block I did not need to add much more coolant mixture to the rad after initially running it. So I am leaning towards there was no air pocket in the block.
fr8dog and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 4:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
The thermostat I used had a predrilled hole in it. Also I recall after filling the rad and block I did not need to add much more coolant mixture to the rad after initially running it. So I am leaning towards there was no air pocket in the block.
Perfect, that's enough for me to come to the conclusion that your block WAS indeed perfectly burped for start up. I use "burped" because that's what the engine builder questioned you about. See where I'm going with this? He might try to use that a way to not honor any warranty.

Now I really would not drive it there.
hydro462 likes this.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Damm Brad, I know what shop did your engine I hope they take care of it for you. I talked to them about rebuilding my engine for my Chevelle , I will be really curious to see the out come of this. Love to have a MJ engine maybe I better start saving money faster.
hydro462 likes this.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

One thing I am having trouble understanding is how this could be my fault?I also could of bought a Mark Jones engine and it would have been a lot less expensive but i figured I would stay local just in case there were any issues. Plus I like to support my local people and this shop has a good reputation.
rjt427 likes this.

Last edited by blm; Jul 8th, 19 at 6:34 PM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 6:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

If you have a way to pressurize the cooling system with a Stant pump or equivalent, that might help you determine the issue, and of coarse reading the plugs, but maybe the best plan is to get the car on a flatbed and up to the builders' shop asap. It sure doesn't appear like you've done a single thing wrong, there just seems to be something amiss with the build. If it was me, I would accompany the car and be there when they were diagnosing the issues so they can't hand you any B.S. Either way, good luck and keep us in the loop.
hydro462 likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 7:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
One thing I am having trouble understanding is how this could be my fault?I also could of bought a Mark Jones engine and it would have been a lot less expensive but i figured I would stay local just in case there were any issues. Plus I like to support my local people and this shop has a good reputation.
From what you describe it's not your fault.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:09 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I would have done a compression test already, Nothing amiss in the oil? Agree with all here, DO NOT RUN engine until its in the hands of the surgeons. Blown head gaskets never heal, only get worse.

Lost one the most gentle way, a steam hole blew out , leaking onto the header collector. Hard to diagnose, but the Stant pop up tool made it weep. I would nt bother doing this. Its FRESH "pro" built engine, and unlike mine, wasnt built by you in your garage. They did not run it in I gather?

PS as a funny aside, we recently lsot the head gasket in the MBZ diesel our son was using to go to/from college. It didnt take much run time for the thing to become a 350 PSI ( its cranking compression sealed) PRESSURE WASHER out of the overflow hose off the reservior. I have NEVER seen that before. You'd fire it coild and BZZZZZ pressure washer. was 23:1 compression.

HEY, you paid for a proper build. You should get satisfaction, and assume you will. I'm sure the questioning you got was customary, not everyone knows how to run in an engine.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The engine was run on their dyno at least 3 times. First with a 750 carb, then with an 850 carb and finally in my presence. I saw no issues at that time. All i did was install it in my 69 and fill the cooling system. It has also in this 50 mile max period used 1/3 to 1/2 quart of oil. I know the oil was full or even slightly above full before I ran it after installation as it had leaked some oil from the pan drain plug while sitting on a cart in my garage for 5-6 months. So I had to service the oil before MY initial start up. Now is back down the above mentioned quantity and is not leaking from the drain plug. Hope it has something to do with other issue. I saw no water mixed in with the oil.
427L88 and fr8dog like this.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 8:38 PM
Tech Team

If the engine has aluminum heads re-torque them and run it and see if there are anymore leaks. Had to do that on more than one engine in the past that leaked.
oman and 427L88 like this.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 9:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I just told Brad, We can put it in my Haulmark and deliver it to the engine shop. We will put it in the Ambulance and deliver it to the Emergency Room and let the Doctors decide what type of surgery is needed!
May need a SOHC -FORD transplant??---OMG...
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 9:31 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Thanks Bob. You are an All Star.
Rmchevelle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in