4Likes
  • 2 Post By BillsCamino
  • 1 Post By Hotwire
  • 1 Post By BillsCamino

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 3:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1967 Chevelle LS2 swap drivetrain vibration

I have a new to me in 1967 Chevelle with a LS2 swap. I bought the car with the swap complete but it currently has a bad driveline vibration. Drivetrain is a new LS2/4l80e crate engine with 110 miles on combination. The swap was done with energy suspension mounts. Am I better to address the engine location, or get adjustable rear control arms and set drive angles? The car is pretty low so guess that has effected drive angles as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

Re: 1967 Chevelle LS2 swap drivetrain vibration

more details on nature of vibration needed ....
And eliminate motor by bringing rpm up in neutral while still to vibration speed

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 4:12 PM
Tech Team
Rick

My original driveshaft that got shortened and rebalanced at 2500 shaft RPM still vibrated obnoxiously. I eventually got an all new driveshaft . . . Problem solved.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The vibrations definitely not in the motor, it’s definitely in the driveline. No vibration in neutral coasting down road, or upon Increasing rpm in neutral. The swap was done using energy suspension mounts but you can definitely tell if the motor is pitched downwards at trans end.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 19, 6:52 PM
Tech Team
Kurt

Iím having the same problem with my '66 .. First time on the road last Thursday....
More like a shake than a vibration.... Only does it under acceleration.....
360 hp bbc, Tremec 5 speed and clutch assembly, shortened and balanced drive shaft ....

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Get your protractors out and measure the angles. Should have a slight downward rake on engine ( -3) , and slight upward rake on pinion (+3). ES poly mounts dont cause vibrations, incorrect assembly or bad shaft does.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 19, 12:24 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

You don't even need a protractor...use your smart phone and this HANDY ap...
TREMEC Toolbox App
Jeff65SS and lucifershammer like this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 9:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
You don't even need a protractor...use your smart phone and this HANDY ap...
TREMEC Toolbox App
Man, I've tried using that app 100 times, but unfortunately wasn't able to make it work. I've got an android phone with buttons on the side, problem #1, but the bigger problem is the pitch sensor in the phone. You could move the phone slightly and get any angle you wanted. My drivetrain is so jacked up it's comical, yet I could get all greens on the app.

CDN67, I feel you man, been through the same rodeo.

First thing is free. Jack the rear of your car up, put it in drive, then get down and watch your driveshaft. Make sure it's straight, true, and there is NO visible wiggle.

Second is the life sucking chore of measuring your driveline angles and going crazy trying to find 2 or 3 pieces of well meant advice on the net that matches up AND makes sense.

Here's what I did, it worked for me, I have almost 10k miles on my swap and 0 vibration up to 120mph with poly engine, trans, and solid rear bushings.

Purchase this angle finder: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

What I found to work for our wild angles was measuring engine angle, driveshaft angle, and rear end angle, doing some math, and finding the working angle of everything involved. You're getting ready to hear about u-joint bind, angle velocities, etc etc. Plug your ears.

Use this as your guide: https://www.drivelinesnw.com/part-tr...ngle-problems/

Get your working angles as close to one another / cancelling out as possible, and go for a drive. I used Speedway Motors adjustable uppers on my rear (there are better versions out there) to get my driveline angles set and had to put spacers on the trans mount / trans crossmember.

Good luck!
64tempestwagon likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 19, 10:01 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

App works great for me...iPhone 10...you can use ANY side of your phone.
Just used this last week to set pinion angle on an LS powered, Alston chassis, '56 Nomad.
LeoP likes this.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 19, 1:35 AM
Tech Team

I can feel for you, I had the same thing after a T56 swap. Mine turned out to be 3 problems, the first one was the driveshaft. After the one shop screwing up 2 of them I found a driveshaft from a Roush Cobra of all things that worked perfect and I might beefy unit at that. Got it balanced some place else but there was still some vibration. Second was the stupid Edelbrock performer that was causing a bunch issues (lean spikes) in 6th gear, I replaced it with a Holley HP carb and the car was a ton better. Third I replaced the rear tires and now it all gone car is smooth as glass at 80 mph in 6th. Funny thing was my old 60'd bubble balancer did a better job than the fancy big buck spin balance that the shop used and I watched both get done with 000 on the machine. Make sure your driveshaft angles are right with this as that alone can cause a ton of trouble also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in