Team Chevelle banner

Newer 454’s

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  backseat69 
#1 ·
I’m not up to date on the Gen V and 6 454’s. I understand that they went to a roller cam and 1 piece rear main seal at some point. In what models and years could these be found?

Thanks

Devin

#7 ·
The Gen 5 blocks have no provision for a fuel pump and no place to mount the z bar in a clutch application. I was talking about them the other day with a guy and he said all they are good for is pumping water " well engine" I agreed completely. Too many issues to be worth messing with. Stick with gen 4 and gen 6 blocks.

#9 ·
So we’re looking at a Gen 6 454 that a former coworker has in his early 70’s K10. What is required to drop it into my son’s 65, other than the obvious headers? I know it will need a short water pump setup, what about the oil pan? Is the flexplate different with the 1 piece rear seal? Anything else?

Thanks,

Devin

#10 ·
Flexplate is different, changed the bolt pattern with the 1-piece rms.
Make sure you know if it does or doesn't have provision for fuel pump, get that handled before you drop it in.

#11 ·
BB bolt pattern is the same but the balance is different

#16 ·
Nothing wrong with the Gen V's or 6 's. Ive used both and run a Gen 6+ 427 ( home built not ZZ ) in my Camaro now .

If you want to use factory iron heads , hey whatever, you'll need a different gaskets. Its not an issue with aftermarket heads. If you also run a mechanical fuel pump you cant with the Gen 5. I havent run one in decades so it saves me from buying a blockoff plate. The boss is there for a clutch shaft pivot ball . Drill and tap. 20 minutes you'll never get back. No big deal.

I do prefer the Gen 6 architecture tough. The hydraulic roller setup is pretty nice and double roller chains are available. Bosses for knock sensors...check. I run Holley HP injection and the knock sensor capability is there without any shenanigans. The Gen 6+ ZZ blocks have everything. I havent sonic tested them though . GM says .060" overbore is max although I think they said that with the Mark 4 blocks too.

Do not buy the Canton pan. It sits well below the crossmember on chevelles and camaros and you WILL impact if the car is lowered. Ask me how I know. Use the Moroso kickout pan ( with a mini starter ) and use right stuff sealent on the front and rear main where the pan seals against the caps and you'll be good to go for leaks for life.

As someone else mentioned the bolt pattern is the same on the cranks as the old Mark 4 . If you are having an engine built or doing it yourself you are going to balance the assy anyway so it doesnt matter. Just pick one format and stay with it and NEVER let them add or remove metal from the flywheel/flexplate. I use a Mark IV 23 lb flywheel on my 427. No issues since its internally balanced anyway.

#17 ·
Thank you for your personal experience. Would you have the part number for the Moroso pan that fits? I've been looking and not found one made by them yet.

Thanks,

Devin

#18 ·
Try 20411
I may have one here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.