Chevelle kicks when shutoff - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 1:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Chevelle kicks when shutoff

Well I fixed one problem and caused another. I had posted last week that my throttle was"t closing all the way at idle due to a weak throttle return spring. I increased tension on the springs and then had to turn the idle screw up to compensate and get up to the same idle speed as before. Works good now and idles well except I've managed to introduce a new issue!

When I shut the car off, I must be getting a few extra explosions that make the engine feels like it kicks. Not dieseling in the sense that it keeps running, but just enough to jerk the whole engine. ALmost feels like the engine moves backwards for a second. It doesn't sound good for the timing chain at all!

How did this cause this issue?

72, SB 385, Voodoo roller, 219/227; .515/,530 lift; AFR 180cc Eliminators, RPM Air-Gap, 770 Avenger, 12 bolt 3.42's, Eaton Posi, Pypes 2 1/2" X-pipe system w/Race Pro's
Vehicle weight: 3390 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 2:36 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Chevelle kicks when shutoff

apparently you increased the idle speed a little in that process. turn it down a little.

or shut it off in gear. or install a idle solenoid, adjust it to idle on the solenoid, back the real idle speed screw way out so it dies instantly when you turn it off.

Holley has a bracket and solenoid deal for that. one wire hookup to a key switched voltage source.
davewho1 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 2:38 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

what's the timing, is the vacuum advance hooked to manifold vac, all the usual questions.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 3:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
what's the timing, is the vacuum advance hooked to manifold vac, all the usual questions.
Initial timing is a little low, but the car always seemed to like it. Its 14 initial, 35 total. All in by about 2900. Ported vacuum advance. I'll check the fuel pressure and mixture screws this afternoon to see if it's unnecessarily running too rich. I'm seeing about 16 inches vacuum in gear and 19 in park.

72, SB 385, Voodoo roller, 219/227; .515/,530 lift; AFR 180cc Eliminators, RPM Air-Gap, 770 Avenger, 12 bolt 3.42's, Eaton Posi, Pypes 2 1/2" X-pipe system w/Race Pro's
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 3:24 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

That sounds good.

auto or stick?

what's the idle RPM?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 9:24 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Thats what that anti dieseling solenoid was meant to do but now you have taken it away from its purpose

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 11:07 PM

Colder spark plug, less gap? No need for vacuum advance with today’s gas...doesn’t really help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 11:37 PM
Tech Team
Harry

IMHO, The best way to eliminate dieseling is to close the throttle blades. The only way to do that is to give it more timing at idle with vacuum advance.
71350SS likes this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
That sounds good.

auto or stick?

what's the idle RPM?
Auto. Idles about 1050 rpm in park. 850 in Drive.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 8:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Slow the idle down some.
RAIDER SS and Pats70ss like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 2:10 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank69 View Post
Colder spark plug, less gap? No need for vacuum advance with today’s gas...doesn’t really help.

Waa?? I use plenty of it on my 468, on 87 octane. It helps part throttle fuel economy and generally causes the engine to run cooler.
77 cruiser, 71350SS and Wolfplace like this.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 3:04 PM

I also have a 468 in my 67...10:1, cam on the milder side, msd distributor no box, 750 double pumper. Friend is an engine builder in Bakersfield, CA who does all kinds of race and high performance street car motors. He recently tuned my motor and disconnected my v/a. Said he doesn’t even bother with that any more, just dials in as much initial advance as the motor will take, then sets the curve and final advance number based on the internals. I have to say it runs better now. He said he does this because of modern fuels, especially our “summer blend.”

Last month I had my carb rebuilt by another old school carb guy here in Santa Clarita. I asked him whether he thought I should hook up the v/a. He basically said the same thing...don’t bother, no real benefit.

I recently acquired a 57 Chevy 210 post with an old Corvette 350/350hp motor. Vacuum advance was blocked off...standard distributor with electronic module. I took it to a local shop to have them put new seals in the tranny. Two old school mechanics and I were talking and I brought up the vacuum advance topic. It turned into quite a lively discussion, with one mechanic saying NEVER and the other saying ALWAYS. It was funny, these two 60 year old guys really going at it! I’ve left it disconnected for now, but may hook it up and see how it runs.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 7:35 PM
Tech Team

The thing is, at moderate rpm and light load, your engine can take (and indeed, really should have) more advance. Simply cranking in as much initial as it can take won't give you that. Sure, it'll run fine without it, but fuel economy will suffer, as will part throttle response.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 8:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

hjdca hit it. Ported vacuum advance.

Set INITIAL timing at 12 deg/BTDC, set a stop on the vacuum advance to only allow 12 degrees, and plug it into a full manifold vacuum advance source point on the BOTTOM of the front of the carburetor. This will give you 24 IDLE degrees of timing, just what the engine wants, and will allow further closing down of the throttle plates at idle, which should also close down the idle transfer slots to the point the engine isn't idling off them.

If you have an idle solenoid in place and functional, it needs to be set up correctly. IT will become the engine running idle stop, with one full turn of throttle plate close down when the key is turned off.

If you have no clue as to what, and how to do a vacuum advance stop for the unit, send an email, ask for the stop plate package, they are FREE, and will help.

[email protected]
davewho1 likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Finally got a chance to give an update. The throttle return springs needed to be shortened even more. And now the problem is fixed. I checked the throttle with the engine on and the car in Park and the throttle was still not being pulled closed all the way. I shut the car off, pulled the springs off and the throttle closed and opened smoothly so there was no hangup in the linkage or anything. Shortened the spring creating more pull in the idle position and the dieseling completely went away.

The strange thing I really can't explain is why it didn't do it initially when the spring was really lax before I messed with it.

So the spring was lax, it didn't diesel. I tighten the spring. It diesels. Tighten the spring even more....dieseling goes away. I'm a little stumped on that one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in