Engine General Engine Discussion.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage
Idle Solenoid

I need some help understanding the idle solenoid on my 72 chevelle.

I thought that this solenoid would bump the RPM up a few hundred when I turned on the the AC to keep the car from stalling due to the extra load. However I used a test light last week and found out that the solenoid is engaged any time the key is in the run position.

My car Idles smoothly at 750 rpm, but If I turn the AC on the extra load will cause the car to stall. I bump my RPMs up to around 850-900 and the car runs fine with the AC on, but the it does not want to shut off at that RPM. My next thought is to set the RPM at 750 without the solenoid and have the solenoid bump the Idle up to around 900, but even still the car does not want to shut off.

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong and if I am even thinking about this in the right way.

Thanks in advance.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 9:04 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Idle Solenoid

It is actually designed to help prevent "dieseling" or after run with the early emissions controlled engines. It allows the throttle blades to completely shut when you turn the ignition off.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 9:12 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Billk is correct, it is probably an anti dieseling solenoid. However you could wire it to the AC compressor to get power whenever the AC clutch is engaged. Some I have seen needed a blip of the throttle to activate, must not be strong enough to push up the throttle? But can hold it once engaged. My 85 GMC 1/2 ton works that way.
von and Pioneer4x4 like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Also to address the run on or dieseling, on any of mine that are prone to that I simply shut it off in gear at idle and then push up to park when its stopped, or manual let the clutch out in a higher gear to stop the motor.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

I understand that it is supposed to allow the blades to fully close. As it stands right now I need my rpms to be at least 850 to keep the engine from stalling when my AC is on.

I guess my question is what RPM should I be setting the carb for and what should the solenoid be adding? The way I have it now is that that carb alone idles at 750 and when the solenoid is engaged it pushed it to 850, but the car is still dieseling. Should I lower the RPM on the carb only?

The solenoid is not strong enough to move the throttle itself so it does need a blip of the throttle to engage.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 9:37 PM
Levon

Jon, do you have vacuum advance connected to full vacuum? If so try it on ported. Check timing as well.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

is your carb original to your car? 2 or 4 barrel?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 19, 11:05 PM
Team Member
Dave

I just added one of these to my '70 Elky today, using a bracket that I fabbed up. You will be trial and error to get it set where you want it, but it works very well,
von likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 8:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

This motor is the numbers matching motor to the car. The carb is the original Q-jet and the vacuum advance is hooked up as it would have come from the factory.

Last edited by LevonH; Jun 3rd, 19 at 10:47 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 8:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

When I used the solenoid I set my idle off it whenever the car was running and I backed my idle set screw out all the way so the throttle blades shut fully.
Now Maybe not all the way out as you can shut the blades so far that they can stick a bit in the closed position.
So i screwed in my idle set screw just enough to keep that from happening.
I also made a bracket for mine.
It was adjustable and I could set idle speed to whatever.

Now I see you run a 5 speed stick shift Legend trans so killing in gear won't be a good idea like you can do with an automatic.

Hard to believe your car wants to die from the compressor being turned on.

Stuff happens though.
I had one car with a huge cam that anything below 1200 rpm it would die.

I do not think you are having an issue like that.
I almost feel your initial timing could be too low.

If it is less than 18 initial you may benefit from getting it there and backing out the idle set screw as it should idle higher with 18 initial vs say 10 initial timing.
You probably know that.

Now one more thing you can try is to screw out the idle mix screws just a little bit.
This will many times help with the dying issue when the AC or a load is put on it.

Yea I know it will richen the mixture and may not be what you like too see on a wide band meter but it is worse to have a vehicle die and restart or diesel than it is to have a tiny bit richer idle.

You will or may also readjust the idle set screw after messing with the mixture screws.

I like 850 or higher idle on my V8 cars.
Flat tappet cams I like a bit higher than that.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 9:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
When I used the solenoid I set my idle off it whenever the car was running and I backed my idle set screw out all the way so the throttle blades shut fully.
Now Maybe not all the way out as you can shut the blades so far that they can stick a bit in the closed position.
So i screwed in my idle set screw just enough to keep that from happening.
I also made a bracket for mine.
It was adjustable and I could set idle speed to whatever.

Now I see you run a 5 speed stick shift Legend trans so killing in gear won't be a good idea like you can do with an automatic.

Hard to believe your car wants to die from the compressor being turned on.

Stuff happens though.
I had one car with a huge cam that anything below 1200 rpm it would die.

I do not think you are having an issue like that.
I almost feel your initial timing could be too low.

If it is less than 18 initial you may benefit from getting it there and backing out the idle set screw as it should idle higher with 18 initial vs say 10 initial timing.
You probably know that.

Now one more thing you can try is to screw out the idle mix screws just a little bit.
This will many times help with the dying issue when the AC or a load is put on it.

Yea I know it will richen the mixture and may not be what you like too see on a wide band meter but it is worse to have a vehicle die and restart or diesel than it is to have a tiny bit richer idle.

You will or may also readjust the idle set screw after messing with the mixture screws.

I like 850 or higher idle on my V8 cars.
Flat tappet cams I like a bit higher than that.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I just got back from a 1000 mile road trip so I doubt my wife is going to appreciate me messing with the car tonight, but I am sure I can find some time later this week to test a few things and see what works.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 9:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

the factory anti deseiling specs for a 72 qjet call for 600in drive with the sol energized and 450 de energized using the base idle screw. of course this is with the factory camshaft. you could bump it up a bit for the ac but it shouldnt kill it much more than 50 rpm
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 9:15 AM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChilders View Post
I need some help understanding the idle solenoid on my 72 chevelle.

I thought that this solenoid would bump the RPM up a few hundred when I turned on the the AC to keep the car from stalling due to the extra load. However I used a test light last week and found out that the solenoid is engaged any time the key is in the run position.

My car Idles smoothly at 750 rpm, but If I turn the AC on the extra load will cause the car to stall. I bump my RPMs up to around 850-900 and the car runs fine with the AC on, but the it does not want to shut off at that RPM. My next thought is to set the RPM at 750 without the solenoid and have the solenoid bump the Idle up to around 900, but even still the car does not want to shut off.

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong and if I am even thinking about this in the right way.

Thanks in advance.
More advance at idle with the vacuum advance can will make the motor stronger, make more hp, at idle, much harder for the air cond. compressor to bring the idle way down. It will also allow you to close the butterflies more, both primaries and secondaries, which stops dieseling at shutoff. so, both problems can be solved with 10 more degrees at idle from your vacuum can.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

I would disconnect the solenoid and set your curb idle speed to approx. 600-650 in drive when hot.
then shut the engine off to see if your run on issue is still occurring. If ok, reconnect the solenoid, turn on the ac, and adjust the solenoid hex head screw to maintain a satisfactory ac rpm level.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 1:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Jon, do you have vacuum advance connected to full vacuum? If so try it on ported. Check timing as well.
You were right with the timing. It has slipped a couple of degrees. I changed it back and it runs and shuts off fine now.

Thanks for the help everyone!
68-13427 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 427 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.