1966 SS396 starter brace - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

1966 SS396 starter brace

I need a starter brace for my 1966 SS with original engine and starter and Powerglide transmission. For some reason prior to my acquiring the car, the starter brace was removed and not reinstalled.

I've scoured the archives on this forum, but have not seen (or I missed seeing) any posts regarding the correct brace for this application. I've found a GM part number of 396588 listed on the net as alternately being compatible or not compatible with a 1966 396 Chevelle, so I'm in doubt regarding this particular part number. Can any of you knowledgeable folks confirm that this is a part that would fit properly or provide me with the correct brace part number?

Further, If any of you have sourced a properly fitting part from any of the aftermarket vendors, please let me know what has worked for you.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chuck

Re: 1966 SS396 starter brace

GM part # 3965588 is the correct part for 66 and 67 Chevelle's with the 396 engine. You can buy this starter brace just about anywhere including Amazon, e-Bay, and other vendors. You might even check with your local Chevrolet dealership and see if they still have them in stock. The going price is between $10 to $15.

Good luck.
Chuck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Chuck!

As you mention, there is a plentiful supply of the 3965588 braces from which to choose now that you have verified this brace will work on my car. Out of curiosity, do you or any of the forum members happen to know the bolt size for attaching the bracket to the block?

BTW, courtesy of my Chevy parts guy acquaintance, I have been advised that the original 1966 part number for the brace was 3864972. Without a photo of the item, however, he was unable to verify this, and he could find no cross reference between 3965588 and 3864972.

Thanks again!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 12:07 AM
Gold Founding Member

Does the application make that much difference? I'd expect any big-block to have a high-torque starter. From there, all MK IV blocks should have the same bolt hole for the brace--396, 427, 454. So the transmission wouldn't matter, the body style wouldn't matter, etc.

Wouldn't that brace fit EVERY Mk IV big block with an OEM starter? (and probably Gen 5/6 as well?)

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 6:44 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I "forgot" to put mine on last time I pulled the engine . They are readily available.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 8:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

A big block Chevy starter brace is a big block starter brace.
IMHO and experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
A big block Chevy starter brace is a big block starter brace.
IMHO and experience.
But, and I hope I'm remembering correctly, a BBC with a powerglide had a 153 tooth flex plate (12-1/2" dia) with the associated straight bolt pattern (one short and one long bolt) starter and the brace was different also.

Paragon Corvette 3965588 BBC starter brace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3965588.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	593898  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 5:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

66 AIM says 1107365 for all BB engines. M35 option for powerglide shows no difference for starter brace.

Some parts books list 3965589 for 67 and up 427 exc H/per without HD 4 SP and some list 3899768. I would guess all reproductions for the different part #'s would be the same. Probably just some little differences originally.
GMPartsWiki - Chassis and Body Parts Catalog P&A 14 May 1981

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in