Serpentine belt conversion - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pioneer4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 7:50 AM Thread Starter

Serpentine belt conversion

Want to convert to a serpentine system from V-belt. Recommendations? Want a complete kit, what kits have you used with success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 8:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Serpentine belt conversion

If you don't mind me asking, why do people do this? Is it a looks thing?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 12:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Generally, either appearance or reliability. Or both. No doubt serpentine is better that V. But I’ve never been able to justify the high price of the “kits”. Unless you want to scour junkyards you’re looking at about $2K to make it happen.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I did it so I’m not chucking belts at 6k rpm. I didn’t go a full tradition serpentine set up just one belt to the water pump and alt. Then another to the PS pump. Both serpentine and I think they were march performance.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Generally, either appearance or reliability. Or both. No doubt serpentine is better that V. But I’ve never been able to justify the high price of the “kits”. Unless you want to scour junkyards you’re looking at about $2K to make it happen.
That price would be reflected in a kit for a which comes with AC, even then it might be too high of a guess.

Shop around, March makes some nice kits, the are other brands out there too. Prices and are quality will vary. Cheap Chinese kits would be wise to avoid.

Steve R
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 1:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I spent $150 on complete serpentine kit and T.B. Intake, unit and computer, distributor, alternator. All from 1990 Silverado with 5.7. I did it for drivability reasons, it is not pretty, but cheap and extremely functional. Downside is (afaik) all are long water pump setups, so account for that. If staying mechanical fan, you need a reverse one of those, and a different water pump for reverse (I still debate that to an extend if you look closely at the impellers, they mainly force water out, not around, and if they spun the other way, out is still out...).
Also with P/S pumps that are with anything remotely modern (last 30 years) they use the O-Ring fitting, so a great time to do the JGC Steering Box swap, and just use all modern hoses.
Plus the pickup system, has an a/c delete pulley option, so you if add it in later (like I did) nothing new is required, not even the belt. Plus the newer alternators that are with them are much better than the old ones. My only issue is pulley alignment, primarily around the p/s pump. I think that there are different pumps/pulley combos that seat at different depths. Also, on my setup, the A/C is high near the passenger side valve cover with the alternator on the other side with p/s pump under it. It can make running a top hose complicated depending on rad outlet location.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 1:15 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copterdoc View Post
Want to convert to a serpentine system from V-belt. Recommendations? Want a complete kit, what kits have you used with success.
BB or SB ????

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 5:01 PM Thread Starter

To answer the first repliers question. Reliability and clearance issues. Maybe a tiny bit looks but also a bit of a perfect storm, 50 year old power steering pump tired and leaking, been needing to be addressed for quite a while. Water pump weeping for a while, and my alternator went out yesterday. I have to spend a few bucks addressing all this so if there is ever a time to do it, it is now. It’s a new 502efi t56 super magnum combo I bolted all my old 454 💩 on when I swapped it out.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 5:33 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/3599574-post8.html

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 5:51 PM
Team Member
Les

Garage

I don't know if the brackets are the same for SB and BB. If they are, I recommend getting a set from an early 90s Camaro or Firebird. As said earlier, the pickup or full size SUV brackets will work but, they're taller than the car units (and uglier). I went that route on my 83 Camino (initially) but, when I put on a larger alternator, the pulley rubbed a hole in the under-hood insulation. Also, as said earlier, you will need a reverse flow water pump and, you will need a power steering pump for the serp equipped Camaro/Firebird brackets. The basic PS pumps are the same but the filler necks are at different angles and the non-serp PS pumps will not fit into the serp bracket.

There tons of aftermarket kits on EBay in the $300 to $700> range and there are usually a few used sets on EBay as well.

Les

65 El Camino (LS2 Project)
83 El Camino (DD)
04 Corvette Convertible
14 Cruze
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 19, 6:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
I like that idea, a lot.
BillsCamino likes this.

ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 9:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

I did mine for under a $100. The billet ones will cost you about $2K as stated above. Came off of a mid 90's truck and is the same one offered in the GMPP book for a fraction of the cost. There are several different models from that era. One has what appears to be some air pump bracket low on the passenger side and is quite ugly and bulky. I powder coated mine black after cleaning the casting flash off of it. There was an article written by Jeff Smith in Car Craft a few years ago that explains all of the differences and how to make them work for both SB and BB. Do a search and check it out.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post

I collected all of the parts that Phil listed, installed them, and dynoed the engine. THEN, the wife said that if you are spending all of that money on the car, it has to have air conditioning. I searched around and this March 23073 system made the most sense to me. I'm using it with a stock clutch fan and shroud. $900, but it uses the standard water pump. I bought a chrome power steering pump and polished A/C compressor. Wife's happy now, and that's all that matters.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 1:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
... One has what appears to be some air pump bracket low on the passenger side and is quite ugly and bulky...
That is probably the one I have. I cut off the Air Pump bracket part at the bottom of the passenger side mount bracket. It was interfering with my manual fuel pump. And it has 2 holes for the idler pulley, you can move the idler, and route a belt without using the Air Pump.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 19, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I did the Billet Specialties Tru Trac. Really impressed with every aspect of it. Not cheap, but quality rarely is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 424 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.