Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:33 PM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Starving for fuel?

This past weekend, for the first time, after winding through the gears at 5000 rpm, the engine lost power in high gear. Feathering the pedal for awhile, it finally smoothed out and as long as I drove at a steady speed, it was fine. First thing I checked was the Russell in-line fuel filter. It's just a 3/4" disc of corrugated screening and it was clean, no dirt particles. I replaced the sending unit in the gas tank a few months ago and the rubber hoses are new. The fuel pump is an engine mounted mechanical stock style pump. Carb is a 780 Holley, engine is a 454, Edelbrock performer heads, hydraulic roller cam, 600 lift.
Any ideas what to do next?
Thanks,
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 9:45 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Starving for fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
This past weekend, for the first time, after winding through the gears at 5000 rpm, the engine lost power in high gear. Feathering the pedal for awhile, it finally smoothed out and as long as I drove at a steady speed, it was fine. First thing I checked was the Russell in-line fuel filter. It's just a 3/4" disc of corrugated screening and it was clean, no dirt particles. I replaced the sending unit in the gas tank a few months ago and the rubber hoses are new. The fuel pump is an engine mounted mechanical stock style pump. Carb is a 780 Holley, engine is a 454, Edelbrock performer heads, hydraulic roller cam, 600 lift.
Any ideas what to do next?
Thanks,
Rich
what is your timing set at? what is your fuel pressure? do you hear any pinging when in high gear?

1967 Chevelle Oshawa Built Car
-427 .60 over, Lunati 60211 Roller cam
-Super T10 2.64
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 8:24 AM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Timing: 22 initial, add mech. adv. 36, add vac. adv. 48.
Fuel pressure, don't know.
Pinging, none that I can hear over the sound of the exhaust.
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 8:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Check the hose that comes from the tank tubing to the pump. There's a deep bend on some of them and the hose collapses there. I sleeved a piece of bent 3/8" tubing inside the hose and all my starvation issues went away..
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 10:52 AM
Team Member
Steve

Yes, that is a good fix too and a good possibility. I use a length of spring for that same section of fuel line to eliminate the possibility of collapse.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 19, 1:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Could have Vapour Lock

Need a Spacer under the Carb

This happen to me at the 1,000 ' on the Track when she would just flatten out/not Accelerate any more

Also happened with my newly built Engine (2017), as it now needed more/higher Fuel Pump
the old Mech Pump was just not enough/could not supply enough needed Fuel to the Engine at WOT

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 19, 7:56 PM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Could have Vapour Lock

Need a Spacer under the Carb

This happen to me at the 1,000 ' on the Track when she would just flatten out/not Accelerate any more

Also happened with my newly built Engine (2017), as it now needed more/higher Fuel Pump
the old Mech Pump was just not enough/could not supply enough needed Fuel to the Engine at WOT
What fuel pump did you replace the old mechanical pump with?

And thanks for the tips on the rubber fuel line section to the pump. I had considered that, but I thought that the reinforced fuel line would be strong enough to resist flattening out. I'll work on that first.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 19, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Quote:
What fuel pump did you replace the old mechanical pump with?

And thanks for the tips on the rubber fuel line section to the pump. I had considered that, but I thought that the reinforced fuel line would be strong enough to resist flattening out. I'll work on that first.
Thanks,
Rich
AUG.16/18 Removed Mech Fuel Pump / Old Fuel Line & Old Gas Tank
Installed Holley EFI Sniper Fuel Tank https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/19-105/10002/-1
+Dual Russell Braided Hose Fuel Lines (Feed & Return) https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/632080/10002/-1
Aeromotive 340 lph Fuel Pump https://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/11569/10002/-1
Holley # 12880 Fuel Pressure Regulator https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-880/10002/-1
Russell Fuel PSI Gauge https://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/650350/10002/-1
Installed before the Fuel Regulator to Carb http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/230106/10002/-1

Fuel FILTER way from Gas Tank to Front of Car in Frame Metal Fuel Filter NAPA https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NGF3033

If you want to stay with a Mech Fuel Pump ;
Holley HP Series Fuel Pumps come complete with -8 AN inlet/outlet fittings installed.
has a free-flow number of 170gph / pre-set idle fuel pressure of 7.5 psi. No Regulator required
Holley 12-454-25 Hp series FP http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-454-25/10002/-1 $ 323.95us
hydro462 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 6:53 AM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

That mechanical fuel pump is a pricey item, I see most electric and mechanical pumps rated at 110 gph. First, I'd want to know if 170 gph was actually needed before I bought that one.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:17 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Rich,
I just noticed this thread for the first time. Have you run it up through the gears ok in the past ? Any chance you just got some crappy gas ? If not then I would check the float settings on the carb for starters.

Just for reference if your engine made 500 horsepower it would only require about 41-42 gallons per hour at wide open throttle under load. So unless you have a real piece of junk pump I doubt it is the problem. If you do decide to replace it a 110GPH pump would be way more than enough.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:34 AM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Yes Bill, I have run it up like that in the past and it didn't have any problems. Could be the gas. Last weekend, I removed the (approx.) 10" length of black rubber fuel line from the frame line to the pump and replaced most of it with steel tubing (short rubber hose at the ends). That didn't change anything. I'm thinking maybe I'd do the same thing at the tank outlet.
I have a Russell inline filter from the pump to the carb that has a screen, checked that, it's clean.
The pump is not new, maybe it's just tired.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 7:48 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Yes Bill, I have run it up like that in the past and it didn't have any problems. Could be the gas.

I would try and run some gas through it and get some fresh stuff in the tank first. Might not really be a problem at all other than the gas. Seems like it has gotten pretty crappy lately. I normally run Shell but about two weeks ago I was getting low in my S-10 so I stopped and filled it up at a non brand name type place. It started running crappy the next day It is getting low so I will fill it up tonight with Shell and see what happens. I am betting it was the gas I got.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 9:15 AM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

I just filled it up last night at Sheetz (93). I've used their gas for many years, never a problem, but who knows, could've been pulling from the bottom of their tank the last time.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 10:54 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Yes Bill, I have run it up like that in the past and it didn't have any problems. Could be the gas. Last weekend, I removed the (approx.) 10" length of black rubber fuel line from the frame line to the pump and replaced most of it with steel tubing (short rubber hose at the ends). That didn't change anything. I'm thinking maybe I'd do the same thing at the tank outlet.
I have a Russell inline filter from the pump to the carb that has a screen, checked that, it's clean.
The pump is not new, maybe it's just tired.
Thanks,
Rich
Did you duburr the steel tubing ends? If not, the tubing may have shaved off some of the interior of the short rubber lines, allowing fuel to pass under nominal driving but imposing a partial blockage with more fuel demand.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old May 15th, 19, 5:37 PM Thread Starter
RT
Senior Tech Team
Rich

De-burred, blown out, that part's good.
Rich

Rich
'69 Malibu hardtop
'69 Malibu convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in