LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 149 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Overheating sbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfresh352 View Post
Yes it is, I have a photo posted a few comments back check it out. I think no more than 5 inches, why is that bad or good?
Because air goes to the highest point. So you want it going out the radiator not getting trapped.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 149 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 19, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Is it actually boiling over??

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 149 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 19, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
Matt

If the water neck is the highest point, they make a water neck with a built-in radiator cap. This allows you to relieve the air out of the system and add coolant. I've seen this many times on dragsters, where the engine is much higher than the radiator.

post #109 of 149 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerrett

I think I’ve found the issue, if you guys scroll back to my engine bay the hose going from the thermostat to the top of the radiator. I put my hand on it to feel the heat and noticed it was pulsing.

It sags a bit so I lifted it and boom the temp starts to go down and the pulse went away. Is there a hose support or something I’m missing, I see others have the same shape of drop, hows mine an issue?
post #110 of 149 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 10:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
I think Iíve found the issue, if you guys scroll back to my engine bay the hose going from the thermostat to the top of the radiator. I put my hand on it to feel the heat and noticed it was pulsing.

It sags a bit so I lifted it and boom the temp starts to go down and the pulse went away. Is there a hose support or something Iím missing, I see others have the same shape of drop, hows mine an issue?
Loosen the clamps on the hose and turn the hose so it has a steady rise to the radiator. Don't think it's your issue. But it's worth a fix if you think it's causing an issue. Make sure your lower radiator hose isn't collapsing. It should have an anti collapse spring installed inside the hose. The lower is hose is the suction side and prone to collapse without the spring. Some parts vendors sell hoses without a spring and they say they don't need it, yet I have seen their inferior products collapse and cause cooling issues.

Since your hose was pulsing my guess is that it felt warm. The pulsing may be steam related as in overheating. Poor flow, steam pockets, bad or late opening thermostat, bad pump....all come to mind.
post #111 of 149 (permalink) Old May 7th, 19, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

You may be able to trim the hose along with turning the hose to get a more consistent angle without the droop.
post #112 of 149 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerrett

Yes it was warm to the touch. Water pump is new, stat is new with drilled bleed holes. I turned the hose as much as it would without creating a crese. If this don’t do it then I’ll be getting a new hose with a spring in it.
post #113 of 149 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 12:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

It's the lower hose that needs the spring, not the upper, replace the hose with a new one that will probably stay straight, order the proper hose!
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #114 of 149 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 12:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Yes it was warm to the touch. Water pump is new, stat is new with drilled bleed holes. I turned the hose as much as it would without creating a crese. If this donít do it then Iíll be getting a new hose with a spring in it.
Usually only the lower hose will have a spring in it to keep it from collapsing under the vacuum from the suction of the pump. The upper hose is the pressure side so most will not come with the spring. The spring is a separate part that installs into the hose and comes with the hose, usually the lower hose.

I don't know the year of your car, but that hose doesn't look correct. Most small blocks around 69-70 have a hose like the one in the attachment. They sometimes rest on the fan shroud. But I don't think your issue is the upper hose.

Check your lower hose, make sure it is not collapsing. It would be most prone to collapse when the thermostat is closed and at high speed. You can try to squeeze it, you should feel the resistance of a spring inside the hose resisting efforts to squeeze the hose.

I don't think you should feel pulsing inside the upper hose. That's telling you something. A flow issue, late opening thermostat into a hot engine causing steam pockets a fluttering lower radiator hose, bad pump???
Attached Images

post #115 of 149 (permalink) Old May 8th, 19, 6:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Pull that top hose off and watch the water flow or better yet get a clear pipe on it.
It's either the stat or the water pump.

post #116 of 149 (permalink) Old May 9th, 19, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerrett

So I pulled my water pump. This Jegs pn 555-51033. Bought in 2017. I’m no pro but looks like heat discoloration. Top side is a white yellow and the bottom half is back as if it was only half full. Not sure how that’s possible. the weep hole wasn’t leaking at all either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F75FD81-E735-477E-8ED0-753FAC7195C9_1557455422478.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	593394   Click image for larger version

Name:	660F132B-9406-4A3C-9D0E-36C9E3619870_1557455439167.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	593396   Click image for larger version

Name:	93ED8C22-ADC4-4B52-AF75-3F712F0BE651_1557455459765.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	593398  

Last edited by Mrfresh352; May 9th, 19 at 11:59 PM.
post #117 of 149 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 4:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I don't know what to tell you about the colors inside the pump. Check the shaft bearing by wiggling the pulley and pushing in and out. There should be no movement except rotational. It's not weeping so the seal is ok. Pull the rear cover. Put a mark on it and the pump for reference so you can reinstall it the same way it came off. Try to save the gasket. If it's damaged you should replace it with new if available or make one out of the same thickness gasket material from auto parts store. Check to see if impeller is tight on shaft and is not deteriorated/corroded/or missing fins. That's about all that can be wrong with the pump besides being full of a foreign material.

Next step..........https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000C848..._t1_B000E43A1S
post #118 of 149 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 1:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Could the radiator be stopped up?
You can get clear hose at the hardware store to fit the top hose so you can see what is going on like in this short vid.

post #119 of 149 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerrett

Should I buy a new pump? I have a new hose coming. I’m going to get a high flow thermostat from Stewart components. Those seem to have really good reviews.
post #120 of 149 (permalink) Old May 10th, 19, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gerrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cool View Post
Could the radiator be stopped up?
You can get clear hose at the hardware store to fit the top hose so you can see what is going on like in this short vid.

That’s a nice idea, website says it’s out of stock. What hardware store would you recommend I try, I’ve never seen anything like this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in