• 1 Post By Stokerboats
  • 1 Post By NW68SSBBC

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 9:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Motor Mounts Solid Drivers/Polly

I am getting ready to in install a new big block street/strip 68 car and trying to decide on motor mounts... I purchased solid and poly after research here. Looks like many run the solid drivers and poly passenger. Trying to understand the theory or science as to why, and after looking back and trying to find out why I notice several posts about bad vibrations running solid anywhere... just trying to get some insight so I can feel confident I am making an educated decision.

Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:02 AM
Tech Team

Re: Motor Mounts Solid Drivers/Polly

I have had solid mounts in my street car since the late 80's with some minor vibrations from time to time but it has not been a big deal.
MYWAY likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Iím guessing that vibration is somewhat dependent on how well your engine is balanced. I had solids in one car that had been installed by the guy I bought it from. The vibration was horrible. I switched to Poly and it helped quite a bit. These days I figure itís easy enough to change mounts so itís stock rubber for me in all applications.
MYWAY likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:26 AM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

I run solid on driver side, stock mount on passenger side and stock on transmission. No vibrations whatsoever.

The reason is that when you step on the gas driver side extends and passenger side compresses. IMO having rubber on passenger side reduces the amount of vibration transmitted through the frame.
MYWAY likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:31 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie K View Post
I run solid on driver side, stock mount on passenger side and stock on transmission. No vibrations whatsoever.

The reason is that when you step on the gas driver side extends and passenger side compresses. IMO having rubber on passenger side reduces the amount of vibration transmitted through the frame.
Iím running the same setup with the same results. No vibes here.
MYWAY likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 10:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I'm running 600 ft*lb of torque, twin disc clutch, 4.10 rear gears, and a manual trans; and when I run sticky tires at the track, I figured a steel motor mount on the driver's side was a good idea because of the shock load on the mount. If I didn't have a performance engine, I would probably run poly mounts. I do get some very slight vibration in certain gears, but it is very small.
MYWAY likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
I'm running 600 ft*lb of torque, twin disc clutch, 4.10 rear gears, and a manual trans; and when I run sticky tires at the track, I figured a steel motor mount on the driver's side was a good idea because of the shock load on the mount. If I didn't have a performance engine, I would probably run poly mounts. I do get some very slight vibration in certain gears, but it is very small.
Thanks... With my motor at around 650tq I think I will stay with the solid divers and poly passenger. Like mentioned previously not the end of the world to change them out.
427L88 likes this.

Mike
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Been using a solid on the drivers side and stock rubber on passenger side and on the transmission. Not a hint of vibration.And that's on 18+ years of drag racing and street driving my car.
And when I launch my car at the track,that gas pedal goes to the floor on the last yellow and my convertor flashes to 4,000
427L88 and MYWAY like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 12:00 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Switching back to a solid drivers side myself. 600+ ft lbs and a clutch. PS I didnt notice any reduction in NVH when I swapped the poly one back in some years back. I thought it would be "softer" Nope. Same. So solid goes back in.
MYWAY likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 1:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Solid driver side rubber passenger and transmission no vibrations, Mike Lewis aka wolfplace balanced my rotating assembly.
427L88 and MarkP like this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

As far as the Moroso brand. Which one for a big block Chevelle, the 62515 or the 62530 ?
Thanks Joe.

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 8:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have been running solid driver, rubber passenger with rubber trans mount with no issues at all. Highly recommended in fact.

I now switched the rubbers out to poly and will see if there is any difference. I honestly don't think there will be much difference, if any.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW68SSBBC View Post
As far as the Moroso brand. Which one for a big block Chevelle, the 62515 or the 62530 ?
Thanks Joe.
I just got a set of Lemon's headers, and he suggests a 62510. It is the same height as my Energy Suspension poly mount.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Solid mounts on both sides, no vibration except my teeth are worn now from chattering... JK JK
Pat_McNeil likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 10:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
I just got a set of Lemon's headers, and he suggests a 62510. It is the same height as my Energy Suspension poly mount.
I took a look at the Moroso website and can offer the following

62510 has a distance of 2 1/8" from the bolt hole to the block face surface

62515 is. 2 9/32"

62530 is. 1 3/4"

The 62500 is. 1 11/16" but the distance between the actual motor mount ears is 2 1/2" the other three are 2 3/8"

It's all on their site if my writing doesn't make sense

Thanks Joe
Nothingbut69 likes this.

"... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in