Engine General Engine Discussion.

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 10:47 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: Spitting back through carburator

Even a good cam with good lifters can go flat if proper lubrication and break in procedures are not followed. I hope you at least have used a good break in moly paste on the cam lobe and lifters.
1943MB likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 9:17 PM
Jim

Garage

Are you using a point distributor or HEI? Ok begin by having the #1 cylinder up

1. Remove #1 spark plug put it on the plug wire lay it on the exhaust so it is grounded.
2. Grab the fan belts and set the balancer mark at the correct timing (check manual)
3. Drop the distributor so the vacuum advance will not strike the firewall. A long flat tip screw driver should be used to move the oil pump shaft back and forth to allow the distributor to drop where you want it. Double check the rotor is coming up to the #1 wire.
4. Lock the cap down, turn on ignition, do not crank, slowly turn the distributor until you see the spark fire from the plug.
5. After a few tries getting as close to the point of firing the plug, tighten the distributor down.
6. Reinstall spark plug and wire. Shot of starting fluid-screw diver to set idle at 2500 RPM for break in. PS don't run out of gas
1943MB likes this.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Hi,

I've decided to just walk away from this cam question and let it be as the song goes.

It is what it is.

On a lighter note and a joyous one at that I got the engine started and running this morning.

I reset my ignition wires correctly and then reset the distributor so that it fired where it should or should I say close enough to fire up. Cranked right up.

Was running fast which was okay since I needed to run it up to seat the cam properly. Was dying on me though and this threw me for a momentary loop.

I found that if I close off or connect all those air vacuum hoses from the carb and the intake manifold it would continue to run.

Still running fast so I adjusted the idle mixture screws out and it slowed to down to a reasonable idle. I think it was running lean and due to the added air into the combustion chamber it was getting starved for fuel.

Seems to be doing very nicely now. With all the rebuilds I did on this car such as the A/C air compressor and the fuel pump etc. and seeing no leaks from either of those and they apparently work smoothly things are looking good. And no oil leaks from the crank pully or the rear of the engine which is diffenitely a plus, knock on wood.

Anyway, next I need to time it accurately.

Thanks for all the advice and listening to my rant about cams. Ka sara sara
Follow procedure and let it go. Bigger fish to fry.

Lou
LeoP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in