Engine oil leak detector any good, is it easy to use. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 64SS427

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 4:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Engine oil leak detector any good, is it easy to use.

I have had a minor engine oil leak every since the engine was gone though in 2006 and reinstalled. I put in a new rear seal and one piece rubber oil pan gasket. I think the leak is in one of those two areas or maybe at the rear of the passenger side valve cover. I was wondering it this product is user friendly and worthwhile and if anyone has had success using it?

I thought the rear seal was the issue; but I pulled the starter part way out the other day and removed the inspection cover bolts. The starter had oil on the bottom of it and the area of the block where the starter is bolted to the block was wet. If the rear seal was leaking where would the oil show up? If rear seal is leaking would oil show up where the starter bolts to the block? Oil appear to also run down inside of the passenger side inspection cover too the bottom where it would drip down to the floor sometime or when driving wind would carry the oil back to the bottom of the transmission case and sometime on the the leading edge of the transmission cross-member.

I guess I would like to determine if I have 1, 2 or 3 oil leaks before deciding if I should pull the engine. I was wondering if I should try to tighten the oil pan cover bolts more? I thought I read they were only suppose to be 15 ft lb. But this is a one piece rubber gasket? Just looking for discussion at this point; But I am getting tired of going under the car and wiping up the started and transmission case, etc. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 3:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
Re: Engine oil leak detector any good, is it easy to use.

I use a similar product to trace difficult leaks at work- It provides a better view of where it is coming from. Ours comes from local Napa, yours probably has it as well. Requires a blacklight to see it. I hate leaks.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 3:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
I use a similar product to trace difficult leaks at work- It provides a better view of where it is coming from. Ours comes from local Napa, yours probably has it as well. Requires a blacklight to see it. I hate leaks.

Devin
same here

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 2:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

I got a kit from Orileys that has a flashlight & a bottle of the dye, worked good to find a P/S leak in my 67 Malibu & an engine oil leak in our 05 STS.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 3:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 chevelle malibu View Post
I got a kit from Orileys that has a flashlight & a bottle of the dye, worked good to find a P/S leak in my 67 Malibu & an engine oil leak in our 05 STS.
I found this; but no dye included https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-U...54cdaa60f85cbc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in