Alumitech radiator selection - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stokerboats

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 6:10 AM Thread Starter

Alumitech radiator selection

Was hoping someone may be able to help me out here. I have been doing some research on what the best radiator setup for my 72 may be. after reading countless posts, I have came up with the most common answer is an alumitech,, I did a search on them and came up with a place called UPI (universal parts inc.). They sell a radiator and fan setup for the chevelle, and the radiator is advertised as an Alumitech radiator. However I have also read that the alumitech company went out of business due to family priorities. Before I pull the trigger on this, I wanted to ask, is this the radiator that everyone was talking about ? Or is this another just using the name? I know how times can change, and wanted to get a little more experienced advice. I am posting the link to the radiator that I am talking about, I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting it, just want to show and see if this is it.

https://www.universalpartsinc.com/sh....aspx?i=772704

As always thanks for your advice and help fellas.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Feb 18th, 19 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 6:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: Alumitech radiator selection

I dont think they are the Original Alumitech? The tanks are not stamped like on my alumitech and the other Alumitech I have seen. Maybe someone took the name and added a -?
As far as I know the original Alumitech company is resting because of the owner Dons family conditions a while back Don did a small batch of radiators.

Cold case or dewitt has great reputation and both looks like nice quality.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 10:57 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

fixed your links, for some reason the HTTP parts were doubled up both of them.

The lower radiator hose outlet is wrong, it's given as 1.5" the chevy radiator has a larger hose fitting on the bottom. Don't recall if it's 1.75 or 2". The pic shows they're both 1.5". Anybody reading this remember? No idea why the upper and lower the same size. I'd look for a different vendor. These people haven't done their homework, these hose sizes were the same from 1955.

be aware that these aluminum rads will be wanting new anti-freeze every year or so to stay in good condition. aluminum being used is more susceptible to corrosion or something.

You might ask them how many rows of tubes and how wide are the tubes. 2 rows of 1.25 or 1.5" tubes seems to be adequate to about anything.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 19, 11:11 PM
Team Member
Mike

I replaced my Alumitech with a DeWitts because the Alumitech was leaking at the seams within 2 years. Alumitech had closed so I had no option but to look for another manufacture’s product. The DeWitts is higher quality, has a better shape in the tank stampings, the black finish is well laid, and it keeps the water temperature about 20 degrees cooler in 100+ temperatures with the AC full blast.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 10:26 AM
Tech Team
Dan

I was looking into the same thing ! Have you looked at the Cold Case line? They are a Sponsor here so that says something...they are not afraid to stand by their product.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMalibu View Post
I replaced my Alumitech with a DeWitts because the Alumitech was leaking at the seams within 2 years. Alumitech had closed so I had no option but to look for another manufacture’s product. The DeWitts is higher quality, has a better shape in the tank stampings, the black finish is well laid, and it keeps the water temperature about 20 degrees cooler in 100+ temperatures with the AC full blast.
Still using Alumitech in my Chevelle, been in there since before they closed down. Thing manages to cool my 565 but it's marginal in hot weather. It will usually stay under 205* after a pass and a slow trip back to the pits. In cooler weather it will stay under 190*. I always thought it a pretty nice piece. Never has leaked or caused any problems. I do keep it maintained.
Malibu ss 64 likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.301 60' 3355 pbr 1.306 3055S
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 19, 5:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMalibu View Post
Don alumitech worked for Dewitt before he opened his own company and bought cores from Dewitt Ive Bern told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Still using Alumitech in my Chevelle, been in there since before they closed down. Thing manages to cool my 565 but it's marginal in hot weather. It will usually stay under 205* after a pass and a slow trip back to the pits. In cooler weather it will stay under 190*. I always thought it a pretty nice piece. Never has leaked or caused any problems. I do keep it maintained.
Mine is 12 years still looks like new both inside and outside, using peak gold anti freeze and a zinc anod still in new condition.
Also checks for electrolysis every year.
Can keep my 489 under 180 deg in head in 90+temps.
If I ever need a new radiator Im tempted to go with cold case.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in