• 1 Post By 67camaro69
  • 2 Post By novadude
  • 3 Post By cuisinartvette

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 18, 9:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Choppy Cam

Got another project in the works. 454 .030 over etc.. This for a friend of mines nova. He wants a mean sounding choppy camshaft. Nothing too crazy What would you guys recommend? I would like to stick with Howards or comp cams but any suggestion would be great. btw the other project came along great. the car performs better in the street. and I have brakes now. Thanks for the help.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 18, 12:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Re: Choppy Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro69 View Post
Got another project in the works. 454 .030 over etc.. This for a friend of mines nova. He wants a mean sounding choppy camshaft. Nothing too crazy What would you guys recommend? I would like to stick with Howards or comp cams but any suggestion would be great. btw the other project came along great. the car performs better in the street. and I have brakes now. Thanks for the help.
Howards Cams, Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft, Chev BB Mark IV 396-502, 237/[email protected] .050, .553/.553, 110 LS - Competition Products

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 18, 6:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

The Comp Mutha Thumper cams are another option.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 18, 6:55 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Compression, gears, head config, useage, etc would be required information for a proper fit. For a wild azz guess any cam with a tight LSA will give some lope. Why not look at the Clay Smith cam designed for oem BBC heads: BBC 454 to 470 CID ?Old School? OEM 049/781 heads to a max of 5700 RPM - Clay Smith Cams
fr8dog and Crazychevelle67 like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 18, 8:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I would use the better street performing, smooth camshaft and rig a solenoid to the vacuum advance, flip the switch when you want a lope..
novadude likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 18, 8:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro69 View Post
Summit 238/[email protected] .540/.540 114 LSA will have the idle you seek and will perform very well.
A good friend of mine runs this cam in a 8.9:1 compression 454 and it runs mid/low 12's on 87 octane w/3.42 gear in a 4000+ lbs. w/driver 69 Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 18, 9:17 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Call Eric at Howards and ask him. Comp has their Thumper cams also.

Make sure your friend knows that "sounds good" usually does not equal "runs good" on a mild street engine.
fr8dog, davewho1, hydro462 and 2 others like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 5:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Compression, gears, head config, useage, etc would be required information for a proper fit. For a wild azz guess any cam with a tight LSA will give some lope. Why not look at the Clay Smith cam designed for oem BBC heads: BBC 454 to 470 CID ?Old School? OEM 049/781 heads to a max of 5700 RPM - Clay Smith Cams
Street, Weekend warrior., closed chamber heads will add stronger springs, Manual 4 speed,
427L88 likes this.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 18, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I would use the better street performing, smooth camshaft and rig a solenoid to the vacuum advance, flip the switch when you want a lope..
This. Pick the right cam that matches Compression, Heads, Gearing, etc and don't choose a cam on sound. A car that runs well is much more fun than a car that only sounds like it runs well.
hydro462 and Molly's 70 like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 18, 1:43 AM
Senior Tech Team

THumpr are poser cams, for stock low compression motors.
Plenty of cams that work that give good sound why waste his money?
Heck, the old Isky Mega cams work great, are cheap, sound great and pull hard. Wont go flat either

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 18, 8:15 AM
Gold Member
Gene

The old Isky MegaCams are cut on a nice tight LSA ( lobe separation angle) as well. Between the cc heads and the tight LSA, it should have really good mid range pull. The Summit cams mentioned are use widely as well. Here are four cams fromt eh Summit catalog. I would choose the smaller grinds unless the engine is over 10:1, but any would work.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/isk-396281

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/isk-396271

and in the Summit line: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1302
and the one mr4speed mentioned: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1303

And while I've never done the solenoid thing, I can;t see why the complexity of a solenoid is required when you can set the idle circuit "incorrectly" to lope rather easily.

And while many here consider the Thumpr's as posers cams, ( well it is a marketing schtick), they run rather well due to the crappy exhaust port of BBC heads, esp those old CC heads. I dont prefer them as there is no lift, but you get that overly choppy sound. This is the only one I;d recommend:
11-601-4 - Thumpr? Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts

and my favorite street BBC cam from COMP I've NEVER run ( an academic recomemndation!) : XS274. 11-677-4 - XTREME Energy? Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in