Sad day. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Sad day.

A freshly rebuilt 427 with heads. the engine was assembled a couple months ago. i had the engine sitting in car for about 3 weeks with the water already in it. (i just had no time to start it up.) today i had time to start it up and break in the cam. I was cracking the engine to start it up i tried about 10-15 times. i could not get it started . it would start for about a second and then stumble and shoot smoke or sometimes fire from the carb.. so i decided to look at the water level in the radiator and boom the water was the color of oil. it also smelled like oil. i drained the radiator. the last bit of water was foamy. worst case scenario its a cracked block. but the machine shop would have noticed it right? what can be causing this? (no trans coolers, its a 4 speed.)

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 7:47 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Sad day.

Are you sure the radiator didn't have oil in it before from some failure ? How is the oil level in the engine ? How does the oil on the dipstick look ?

Its a little unusual for oil to get in the coolant, especially if the engine never really ran long enough to build up oil pressure. Usually it is the other way around, the coolant gets into the oil.

Sounds like you don't have the timing set properly or something is major wrong with the carb.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 9:35 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

What Bill said. Pressurized oil is not near cooling passages. Itís more likely water gets in to oil through drainback. If there isnít water in the oil I would not be concerned yet. Borrow a pressure tester to test the integrity of the cooling system before you give up.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Are you sure the radiator didn't have oil in it before from some failure ? How is the oil level in the engine ? How does the oil on the dipstick look ?

Its a little unusual for oil to get in the coolant, especially if the engine never really ran long enough to build up oil pressure. Usually it is the other way around, the coolant gets into the oil.

Sounds like you don't have the timing set properly or something is major wrong with the carb.
I don't believe so, the radiator is new. never used until now. The oil level has been consistent, the level has moved very much. and the oil looks brand new. the same way it looked when I put it in. Yea I believe the carb is not operating properly. I am going to pull out another carb from my other car and see if it starts up with that one.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
What Bill said. Pressurized oil is not near cooling passages. Itís more likely water gets in to oil through drainback. If there isnít water in the oil I would not be concerned yet. Borrow a pressure tester to test the integrity of the cooling system before you give up.
I'm working on getting one by today. thanks.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 5:27 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

How was the block cleaned ? If your engine builder didn't clean it out real well before installing the freeze plugs you might be seeing junk that was in the water passages in the block.

I would get it running and just keep an eye out on the oil. If the level stays ok you probably dont have a problem.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
How was the block cleaned ? If your engine builder didn't clean it out real well before installing the freeze plugs you might be seeing junk that was in the water passages in the block.

I would get it running and just keep an eye out on the oil. If the level stays ok you probably dont have a problem.
I did not get a chance to start it today but I did do the pressure test. it came out ok. the pressure stayed level at the psi I set it too. I set it to 13, 16, 20 psi. nothing unusual happen.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 18, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro69 View Post
....and the oil looks brand new.

Did you drain the oil or it looks new on the dipstick?

If you drained it, did any coolant come out with it?

Assuming this is a mkIV block, are the heads mkIV? Do you know what head gaskets were used? How are the head bolts?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 18, 5:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Did you drain the oil or it looks new on the dipstick?

If you drained it, did any coolant come out with it?

Assuming this is a mkIV block, are the heads mkIV? Do you know what head gaskets were used? How are the head bolts?
yea i drained the oil it looked fine. I also left the oil plug open while doing the pressure test to see if the flow of the oil coming out would change but it did not. I used stock felpro ones. i used sealer on all the head bolts.

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 18, 8:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Just so you know.... Bill is spot on with the block being properly cleaned. I bought a Goodwrench 350 for my Blazer. GM has specific guidelines for the instillation, one of which is having the Radiator cleaned or a new one. Shortly before the previous engine went down I had replaced the Radiator, so flushing it before I did the R&R was a no brainer. Fast Forward to the engine is changed and it runs great except.... "HOT" ...way hotter than any of the previous engines ever ran, and sitting in traffic would make one very nervous... So since its under warranty and I have receipts, I took it to the dealer. They only looked at the truck for a second and said CORE SAND. They didn't offer me a loaner, but they took the truck in on warranty and whatever they did, when they were done the service manager showed me a plastic bag with about a pound of core sand. The Radiator had been removed and a new thermostat had been installed.......Point being if the core is full of crap, its gong to end up in your Radiator.
71350SS and NickeyChevelle like this.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 18, 6:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

When I saw oil in the radiator. I drained it and then added water to the radiator only and flushed it out a couple times. The water was clear. But when I started up the engine it would turn brown again..

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 18, 6:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Albert

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy with work. I cracked open the engine. Everything seems to be fine. The head gaskets were in good condition.. The heads are not damaged either. Must be the block.. You guys think it is worth it to take the block for magnaflux or other testing. or should I go out and buy another block. Im pretty sure i won't find another 427, probably a 454.. but the thing is I have all the components for a 427 .030 over block.... Um at this point im considering a LS1 to be done with it. whats your guys opinions?

1967 Camaro RS 396
1969 Camaro Coupe 427
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 18, 7:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'd ask your machine shop to inspect the engine but you'll have to pull it and bring it to them, did you get it to run for cam break in? cam would be a good idea to take a close look at it now also for flat lobe or anything abnormal if you didn't get it broke in

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 18, 7:58 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Could incorrect to damaged gaskets allow oil to get in the water?

BTW, a 454 and 427 block are functionally the same. Your 427 rotating assembly would drop right in as long as the block is bored the same amount as your 427 block is.
Steve R and shovelrick like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 18, 8:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Did you ever get to run it for about a half hour or so ? from what I read from your posts it souds like you never started it up.If so, it sounds like the timing isn't allowing it to start and run long enough to break in the cam and/or to find out what's wrong with the engine.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in