Engine General Engine Discussion.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 18, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage
69 bbc oil filter relocation ideas

Hey guys the search doesnít bring back many references so Iím asking where you have relocated the oil filter on a BBC in a 69. Pictures would be great. I bought the plate, fittings and a single mount. But not happy with any positions other than forward someplace.

Paulie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 5:40 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: 69 bbc oil filter relocation ideas

Paulie, be real careful with that stuff. check the ID of every fitting, hose and the plate itself. Guys have lost engines over 1/2 NPT fittings with 5/16 holes in them. Street elbows are a big loser.
OLDED, fr8dog and lucifershammer like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 18, 6:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockPaulie View Post
Hey guys the search doesnít bring back many references so Iím asking where you have relocated the oil filter on a BBC in a 69. Pictures would be great. I bought the plate, fittings and a single mount. But not happy with any positions other than forward someplace.
Do you have interference issue to run the stock block mounted oil filter?

I ran a remote oil filter setup on a Pontiac, back in the 80ís. Broke in a new motor and wouldnít you know it, one of the lines burst spraying hot oil on my red hot headers. Needless to say I had one helluva fire. Iíd do everything I could to not run a remote filter, but if you must, run the best quality AN hose and fittings. Aircraft Spruce has some really good FAA/TSO approved AN hose and fittings.
OLDED likes this.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 8:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Jeff and Tom, yes Iíd have to unbolt the drivers header to change the oil. Granted, synthetic and a Royal purple filter, I wouldnít change it often but yes, definitely a no go on stock location. So the Ďbestí I got so far is aeroquip 90 degree 8an push on fittings off the block plate tucked against the block forward, under the power steering to the frame / inner fender up into the left cubby hole by the backside of the left inner head light
or the other route is between the bottom core support and frame to attach to the front core support behind the bumper. The hose and fittings are the speedway neoprene push on kit. Iíve never used a blue push on hose, always braided steel or pro classic black. Iíve used a rubber hose and clamps on transmission coolers but not engine oil. I have plenty of 8an fittings to change to the Pro Classic hose set up if the push on is too iffy. Just have to get hose. People are happy with the push on stuff, but Iíve had no experience with it. Good or bad.
fr8dog likes this.

Paulie

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 18, 7:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Jeff and Tom, yes Iíd have to unbolt the drivers header to change the oil. Granted, synthetic and a Royal purple filter, I wouldnít change it often but yes, definitely a no go on stock location. So the Ďbestí I got so far is aeroquip 90 degree 8an push on fittings off the block plate tucked against the block forward, under the power steering to the frame / inner fender up into the left cubby hole by the backside of the left inner head light
or the other route is between the bottom core support and frame to attach to the front core support behind the bumper. The hose and fittings are the speedway neoprene push on kit. Iíve never used a blue push on hose, always braided steel or pro classic black. Iíve used a rubber hose and clamps on transmission coolers but not engine oil. I have plenty of 8an fittings to change to the Pro Classic hose set up if the push on is too iffy. Just have to get hose. People are happy with the push on stuff, but Iíve had no experience with it. Good or bad.
Have you thought about different headers for more clearance? Just out of curiosity, what brand headers are they?

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 12:25 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

look at these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BARNES-ALUM...UtI:rk:14:pf:0

mounts filter horizontally on the block, no hoses.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 8:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Thank you for that link, I checked it out. I had 2Ē Dougís headers before that I could forcibly squeeze past. These are new 1 7/8Ē coated from Jegs. They fit the car better but at the expense of the filter. Always something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18F2E762-66F1-4DF8-AE0D-0E806F08A443.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	578382  

Paulie

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Here a shot down the side of the motor where the filter goes. You can see the AN
nipples. Thanks but I donít see an option. Itís more about the push on hose, Iíll get some fire sleeve and mount it up front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9E8AE854-E84E-4E1B-B503-AAF3637162C5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	578388  

Paulie

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Paulie,when I went with a remote filter on my BBC Monte my buddy and I made a couple of brackets mounted to studs in the oil pan rail.The brackets secure the hoses in place so they aren't flopping around and possibly touching the headers.Heres a picture;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0250 (2016_04_18 13_36_38 UTC).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	578392  

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Man... sounds like youíve already swapped headers. Iíve had to run remote filters twice and both times I spent too much of my time trying to get everything to stop leaking. I put Hedman Elite headers on my Ď68 BB and I can easily run the tall oil filters. But that doesnít really answer your question. Have you considered running it inside the frame rail under the driverís door?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 12:55 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

what size are the holes in those fittings?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 6:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Wow nice parts on that motor! I see the brackets you guys made, held it great I bet Iíll have to make up something like that too.
GuysMonteSS likes this.

Paulie

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 6:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by any4xx View Post
Man... sounds like youíve already swapped headers. Iíve had to run remote filters twice and both times I spent too much of my time trying to get everything to stop leaking. I put Hedman Elite headers on my Ď68 BB and I can easily run the tall oil filters. But that doesnít really answer your question. Have you considered running it inside the frame rail under the driverís door?
Yeah, thatís funny cause I laid under there thinking all the places I could run it too. Itís just each areas is busy, a bad idea or hot.

Paulie

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 7:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Paulie

Garage

Tom; itís all Aeroquip 8 AN fittings and hose. I just ordered Thermo-flex heat barrier tubes, and stainless zip ties for underneath the headers just to play it safe. Excessive? maybe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B3EEB844-AA19-4E89-A9CC-541025CE57CC.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	578414  

Paulie

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 18, 7:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:
Wow nice parts on that motor! I see the brackets you guys made, held it great I bet Iíll have to make up something like that too.
Thanks for the compliment,Mike Lewis was a huge help with parts selection.
And those brackets have been working very well for a number of years now.
I believe that I used the same Thermo Flex stuff to wrap my lines too
Guy

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in