Another cam question - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 18, 8:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Another cam question

Hi I am new here. I have been a long time reader on here but never registered til just yesterday. I have a cam question! Yes I know not another one?? Well if have been doing a lot of reading. In fact I read an old post on here from 2007 ! In the thread someone mentioned putting a comp cam xm270h cam in a stock 325 horse 396 with oval port heads. They said it ran awesome. Thats exactly what I want to do same cam and the same motor a stock 325 horse 396. I have the whole kit springs and everything even a set of nice crane gold roller rockers. Has anybody else run this cam before?? Is there anything I need to watch for any modification I need to do. Valve clearance be okay???? Thanks Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 5:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anyone????????
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 5:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Re: Another cam question

Are you talking about the Comp Cams 270H Magnum hyd flat tappet cam?
If so, that is a nice shelf grind with good manners for a mild engine.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 6:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

No it’s actually the xm270h marine grind
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 7:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

That cam should run pretty well in any 396-427-454,specs are 226/[email protected] .544/.547 112 LSA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 7:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I shouldn’t have any valve clearance issue should I ??? Everything I have read makes me think it shouldn’t have any problems!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 7:19 AM
Gold Member
Gene

To be sure, get some clay, and run a set of valves with clay, sans head gasket, and then measure clearances + head gasket thickness. Only one way to know for sure. You should be fine.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 7:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbradford View Post
I shouldn’t have any valve clearance issue should I ??? Everything I have read makes me think it shouldn’t have any problems!
FWIW, years ago I had a 396 +.030 with rebuilder .180 tall domed cast pistons and 215 closed chamber heads.
Cam was Crower solid lifter, 240/[email protected] .517/.530 114 LSA and there were NO piston to valve clearance issues.

More than likely you'll be fine but you should check to be sure.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 8:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Wellllllll!!!! I know I should that is always the proper thing to do 😳but this is a cam swap and I do not want to pull the heads sooooo 🤞
427L88 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 8:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

A fellow TC member recently installed a 228/[email protected] .540/.540 114 LSA Summit cam into his 396/325 HP and he had no clearance issues,car runs great.
Not sure if the thread is in the engine or performance forum.
FWIW...

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 8:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Awesome thank you !!!!!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 9:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbradford View Post
Awesome thank you !!!!!!
Going to hit this out of the park in regards to piston to valve clearance: back in the day, (I have the vintage magazine article-circa 1969) there was a feature about hopping up a 396 using the L88 cam.
The article states the small domed pistons in 325 and 350 HP engines had no clearance issues with that cam but taller domes in the L78 engines had to be clearanced.

The L88 cam is 264/[email protected] .560/.580 112 LSA
427L88 and the heckler like this.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 9:57 AM
Gold Member
Gene

simply run the engine around by hand after install Bradford, and pay attention! Like said, you ought be fine. New flat tappet cam run in procedures are what needs a bit of nervous anxiety focused on. Never a guarantee with a rat.
mr 4 speed likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

..what Gene said..also,make sure all the lifters spin freely in their bores.
427L88 likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 18, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

almost identical specs to the Engle HL-25/26 I have had in my closet for over 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 397 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.