1970 Malibu 350- quadrajet has no fuel filter?? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1970 Malibu 350- quadrajet has no fuel filter??

Hello forum-
I disassembled my QJ fuel line hoping to replace the fuel filter and I was surprised to see no filter. I removed two rubber o-rings a washer and a beveled washer. Take a look at the attached pics and let me know if anyone is familiar with this type setup, and should there be a filter?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	557825

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	557833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 1:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: 1970 Malibu 350- quadrajet has no fuel filter??

Looks like a "repair" part that a previous owner installed when the threads in the carburetor were stripped. Based on your photos, you should install an inline filter and replace the O-rings on that adapter/repair part. A replacement carburetor may be your best bet! Looks like this is what you have>

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 2:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Dave that is what I have. I need to get the replacement o-rings since mine are torn and add an in-line filter since the repair won't allow for a carb filter. I hate to replace the carb since it's original to the car.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 3:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Just offering a suggestion. I would mount a metal fuel filter at the tank or near the tank. When I see rubber line and clamps near the carb. I get worried, WHY?
After many heating and cooling cycles, Rubber hoses MAY crack and MAY leak. That could be why Chevrolet used a solid METAL line to the carb. from the fuel pump.
The see through filters ( glass & plastic) and other kinds that use rubber hoses are NOT a good idea around any type of heat.
Bottom line is stay safe. A fuel leak on your engine or near the Carb. at 50--60 MPH. It is NOT,,,,, For the most part a " Happy Outcome ". Think about it?
HEY,,, Its your car, Do what you think is good for you and your car.
Bob
P.S.
On my 70 468 driver and my one owner 70 SS 454/ M-22 I have metal filters at the tank. WHY? I do NOT want to keep taking the Q-Jet apart to change filters, Paper or Stone.
I do not want to get into the problems that you can have by working on the old Q-Jets. I have NOT touched my two Q-Jets in years. Change the filter at the tank and you are good to go! This is just something to think about!
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 4:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

You can also put a filter between the main line and the fuel pump inlet. The inlet part with the 2 o rings at your carb is a repair part.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 4:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

NAPA part # FIL-3033 is your friend here.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Should be able to have somebody Helicoil it.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 25th, 18, 6:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaswa View Post
Hello forum-
I disassembled my QJ fuel line hoping to replace the fuel filter and I was surprised to see no filter. I removed two rubber o-rings a washer and a beveled washer. Take a look at the attached pics and let me know if anyone is familiar with this type setup, and should there be a filter?
Attachment 557825

Attachment 557833
Did it leak with that setup? If it didn't I'd put it back together and leave it alone with A filter of some sort. The only issue you'll have with putting an inline filter in is that you'll have to cut a section out of your fuel line to put the filter and hoses on it. I guess you can put a filter back at the tank, but I've always understood that filters on the suction side of the fuel pump aren't a good idea. That said, if this is just a cruiser, and you DON'T want to cut a section of fuel line out on the carb end, it might be OK to do that.

"The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap."

-Ayn Rand
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 1:56 AM
Tech Team
RANDY

Great shot of the 1970-71 style choke pull off with the unique finger.

Someone, somewhere, put some thought in the design.!!

Thanks
Randy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 4:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Back in the day the first thing we would do was pull that filter and throw it away and install an inline filter. The "experts" told us those Quadrajet and Holley inlet filters were restrictive and would plug up easily, then bypass and dump the crud they were holding back into our carbs.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 4:50 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

What Jim said. there's several carb shops that can install a helicoil in there. It's a mill operation, not something done by hand or in a drill press. I recall seeing that it was like $75, well worth it for an original carb.
von and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; May 26th, 18 at 10:51 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all of the feedback. It didn't leak until I took it apart and tore the o-ring. I see that Quadrajetparts.com sells a 7/8-20 self tapping inlet fitting with oversize threads that essentially restores the original setup. Although I do like the idea of a helicoil since I could then use an original style inlet fitting. The car is mostly original so I'm trying to preserve as much as possible without getting crazy.

Has anyone had experience installing a self tapping inlet fitting for a repair?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 10:59 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

That self-tapping fitting deal is tough. you have to have it perfectly straight and keep it straight. If it gets crooked at all you're in trouble. it won't seal on the original sealing washers and it won't be fixable with a heli-coil anymore, even in a mill.. When it cuts threads all the pieces end up in the filter housing where they wash directly into the needle/seat and on into the carb. You'll need to plan on pulling the carb and cleaning it like a rebuild, IMO.

Trouble is, if stuff gets caught in the needle/seat and the carb floods over you're very close to finding out if your fire insurance is really any good.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 11:02 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

why don't you just put new o-rings on the repair fitting you're got? put a metal can 3/8 filter in the hose between the frame and the pump. Change it yearly and you'll be fine.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 26th, 18, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I would pass on the self tapping fitting, send that carb out and get it helicoiled by a reputable machine shop as this carb has value to you. When you get it back, don't put a filter in it. Install an inline filter and leave the fitting alone. (my $.02)
von likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 631 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.